It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
(female)

freshstart86221 HB User
Question Hi, new here, couple questions

Hi. I'm Amanda. I have 2 Chronic Pain conditions: Fibromyalgia and Endometriosis. Fibromyalgia is pretty much under control with Amitryptaline, Gabapentin and Baclofen. Endo was just recently diagnosed. My GYN gave me a few options: Depo (can't do, was already on for 2 years and gained 35lbs), Mirena (can't do, tilted uterus. Tried and punctured uterine wall), a shot that gives early menopause (too scared, esp with PCOS), Amethys BCP that will give me just one period a year, or surgery. I wanted to try the Amethyst first before going for surgery, as I have never had surgery before. I've only been on it for a month, but I think the pain is more consistant. It's like I always feel like my period will start the next day. I have tried Midol Maximum strength, which helps sometimes, Tylenol, Aleve (can't do Ibuprofen)...just got LidoDerm patches today, and will try it tomorrow. I can only have them on for 12 hours, and 12 hours from now I will (hopefully) be asleep. Anybody have any other ideas?? I have an appointment on August 2nd, so maybe my GYN can give me more ideas...I don't want to be on Narcotics forever, and I don't want to do surgery if I don't have to.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User
Re: Hi, new here, couple questions

Hi Freshstart! I just wanted to let you know that I can relate to your situation! I developed endometriosis when I was about 16 years old and my quality of life started going downhill very quickly. I don't have to tell you how painful this condition is. I wasn't lucky enough to be the kind of woman who gets their period "once in awhile" or skipped a period now and again. No....not I! I got my period every single month for 10 days each month. The bleeding was extremely excessive and I would pass clots the size of a human liver! (OK, maybe not THAT big....). I remember my family doc telling me (in front of my Mom) at the age of 17 that if I ever wanted a family he would advise getting married and trying to get pregnant as soon as possible because he didn't think my chances were very good of conceiving. Luckily for me I was able to get pregnant once and now have a beautiful 35 year old daughter with three beautiful grandchildren! It doesn't sound like there are any new options for treatment since the days when I was dealing with it. I was on hormones for a little while but the weight gain and headaches were overwhelming and I stopped using it. After my child was born the endometriosis came back with a vengence and the docs performed quite a few surgeries to remove the endometriosis and they had to remove my tubes, then an ovary, then the whole thing. I had a complete hysterectomy by the time I was 23 and went into menopause overnight. Don't know what your life situation is...do you have children? Do you want children? You may want to consider something as drastic as a hysterectomy if your child-bearing ability isn't an issue anymore. Before the hysterectomy I was on Percocet for pain control and it did help. Can you take a narcotic for pain control? Good luck to you my friend. Hope you find a solution to this horribly painful condition. Hugs - BB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
(female)

freshstart86221 HB User

Hi BrittleBones! I have one child, I'm 26, but would like at least one more. I don't like taking narcotics, and the docs up here don't like prescribing them. I went in to see a doctor yesterday because my doc is out of town til next week. He did a pelvic exam, and I was in tears practically pushing myself up off the table. It was the worst pain I've had in a long time. He did give me 10 Norco to last until I see my doc on the 2nd. I think I will have her schedule the laporoscopy, or give me the shot to put me in a temporary menopause. I just REALLY don't want to deal with the pain anymore. The Norco helps with the pain, but even though I will take AT MOST one a day, I don't like the loopy feeling it gives me, but I would rather have that than the pain. Endometriosis sucks. I also have fibromyalgia, TMJ, PCOS...and now endometriosis...why can't I just be a normal, healthy 26 year old?? Sigh...Thanks!!!

Old 08-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Hi and welcome on board!

First of all, I had endometriosis since very young; my daughter at 35 has one as well. I had my hysterectomy at age 34. I never took anything for it and neither my daughter. For this type pain we were on Midol, some other Rx pain medication but never opiates, it wasn't even an option. We deal with it the best we can. Pain always been there, before periods it was to the point of passing out and my daughter often did and still does.
Did you have your laparascopy to be diagnosed with it?

Wishing you well
Moldova

Old 09-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

blon55 HB Userblon55 HB User

Hi Freshstart,
I had bad painful periods, the whole endometriossis gamut, and the only things I was able to do were to use a lot of ibuprofen, which helped pain at high doses. The other thing I tried later on is the heat patches that you can buy otc and are usually used for back pain. And stay away from cold drinks, cold water, and even use a microwave heating pad to place across your abdomen. Try ginger tea also. The theory is to warm up the endometrium. Even hot baths, hottubs might help. I hope this helps, good luck.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Freshstart,

I am a few years down the road you are on now I think. The endo began with me following an emergency ectopic pregnancy just over 10 years ago. i went for years with the pain come and go until it finally got out of control and I needed surgery. Due to previous medical issues, (4 strokes and a heart attack at 43) I am considered non-operable, and was finally sent to the pain clinic where I have been treated with narcotics for over a year. Just when I think things are getting better, the pain will return with a vengeance and I am back to the medication.

Since there is a lot of stigma attached to the narcotic medications, as well as misunderstanding, I keep that information to myself. There are others who would love to get their hands on some! I have accepted it to be something I will likely need until things change, if they do.

Best to you, and what ever you can find to relive pain in your life, I say go with it, as long as you can handle it responsibly

Old 09-18-2012, 05:27 AM   #7
(female)

Paininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB User

Personally i would do the depo, if weight gain was the only issue, that can be helped with a good diet and exercise. I wouldn't want to be put in temporary early menopause, that, in my opinion, would be much scarier, i would be afraid hormones would go crazy and never return to normal. I've been on Depo for over 15 years and while yes i had weight gain, it has tapered off and my weight has been stable for years, you just have to keep an eye on it.

Reply Reply