It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

blon55 HB Userblon55 HB User
best prescribed med for yourself for pain?

Hi all. Just wondering what you all have found for yourself,to be the most effective med for pain/ with the least side effects. All categories of pain management are welcome.

I've tried nsaids, narcotics, lidoderm patch, injections,muscle relaxers/sedatives, anti seizure meds and neuropathic pain . I haven't found long term benefits from any of these.

I am trying the non narcotic route again. .looking for that magical cure...

Last edited by blon55; 08-22-2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: wording

Old 08-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: best prescribed med for yourself for pain?

Dear Blon,

you can't go by everyone experience; what helps one, doesn't help others. All depends on damages, on nature of pain, on mental stage, on pain tolerance and much more.
Some people swear by Morphine - never helped me. I tried all nerve pain medication (Neurontin, Keppra, Lurica,etc) I got reaction to it on high doses but never took pain away. Although many people swear by it.
Personally, I wouldn't have big spinal surgeries with a lot of permanent complications, I would never even try opiates. I had many-many other surgeries (like hysterectomy) and while other women took Percocet, I refused to take it, but took something like Tylenol. Yes, I had a lot of pain, but to compare to pain after spinal/joint surgery, soft tissue surgery pain is not even near. All depends what is your pain tolerance.

Another words, all depends...

I have to tell you another thing. I was in agony trusting my previous PM, thinking this is my life will be to the end. Only after I was introduced to my wonderful PM, I realized I still can have some life quality. First of all, good DR always "reads" all your other problems. For example, he strongly suggested I see Rheumatologist b/c he thought I may have more health issues than I think. Boy, was he right!
Now, all my doctors work in team: PM, surgeon, Neurologist, Cardiologist, RA... After my app with each of them, they say reports of it to each other, so they know what tests must be done, what I can do and what I can't. I need another spinal surgery we all know that, but at this point Cardiologist and RA Doctors refuse to give me OK. I don't even have to argue about it, they all talk among themselves and just tell me the end results.
I strongly believe that you have to see other doctors as well since you suffer from anxiety/depression. I wonder why your PM never sent you to see one. They say sometimes pain goes hand in hand with depression. Besides, good PM sees if amount of pain equal to health issue one experiencing. Sometimes people think they have real pain, th ey suffer from it, but doctors see if one has the reason for so much pain or not. This is where they send people to be checked for anxiety/depression. I heard once: Depression hurts. It must be taking in consideration also...

Gentle hugs to you
Moldova

The Following User Says Thank You to Moldova For This Useful Post:
blon55 (08-23-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

I agree it is so individual and it is important to get many doctor opinions...it has taken me years to find doctors that are a good fit for me and look at my health problems multi dimensionally. However, I'll say that the best meds I have tried have been methadone for my pain and zanaflex for my sleep & neck pain/spasms. None of the other opiates get me even close to the pain relief, even at much larger equivalent doses. It is quite short acting for me though.

My biggest problem with treatments I have tried is either not responding to them, or when I do get a response, it is very short lived. I do have a condition that is known to have this happen though...most folks eventually do find an adjunct med that is helpful.

I would be persistent with trying treatments. If your doctors don't have new suggestions for you as soon as a fair shot has been given, its time to move on. Suggestions found online aren't that helpful as often its not appropriate to mention them to a doctor...you need that doctor who you have a good relationship with and won't take offense or think you are trying to be a know it all, but is running out of ideas.

Depending on your type of pain, pt or massage could be helpful. Anti depressants are another class of meds that can have pain relieving properties. There are some other topical options besides the lidoderm patches, like a compounded cream with ketamine, lidocaine, amitriptlyline or neurontin, etc. I think it can often hurt you to bring up treatment ideas (especially when it is opiates or meds that could have an abuse potential). Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to tortoisegirl For This Useful Post:
blon55 (08-24-2012)
Old 09-06-2012, 06:26 AM   #4
(male)

bostonteach HB User

Hi,

I have tried everything and now have a spinal cord stimulator implanted and use a fentanyl patch (50mcg/hr). The patch is changed every two to three days. This is a very strong narcotic but I have had no side effects and it does not effect my thinking or abilities to do anything. Hugs to you.

Jay

Old 09-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #5
(male)

bostonteach HB User

Hi,

I have tried everything and now have a spinal cord stimulator implanted and use a fentanyl patch (50mcg/hr). The patch is changed every two to three days. This is a very strong narcotic but I have had no side effects and it does not effect my thinking or abilities to do anything.

peace and lots of love to you.

Jay

The Following User Says Thank You to bostonteach For This Useful Post:
blon55 (09-06-2012)
Old 09-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

blon55 HB Userblon55 HB User

Hi jay, where are you being seen for your pain/? I was offered the stimulator, but am scared of something foreign in my body that would prevent future mri's.
I've heard BI/Deac might have some good treatments. My main pain is my high grade partially torn hamstrings(2 of them ) tendons which have rendered me basically housebound. Im trying to go the non narcotic route due to my reactions to the previous narcotics. Thanks for the hugs, peace and love. And back at you

The Following User Says Thank You to blon55 For This Useful Post:
bostonteach (09-07-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 03:23 AM   #7
(male)

bostonteach HB User

Hi,
I am being seen for my pain, by my primary care doc, pain clinic and psychotherapist.
You can have an MRI if the metal in you is titanium. I go the CAT scan route as it is a more through view of things.
I understand your concern. Personally I will try anything to relieve my pain and get me out of the isolation and depression which comes with it.

Peace to you
Jay

The following user gives a hug of support to bostonteach:
blon55 (09-07-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to bostonteach For This Useful Post:
blon55 (09-07-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 03:24 AM   #8
(male)

bostonteach HB User

Hi,
I am being seen for my pain, by my primary care doc, pain clinic and psychotherapist.
You can have an MRI if the metal in you is titanium. I go the CAT scan route as it is a more through view of things.
I understand your concern. Personally I will try anything to relieve my pain and get me out of the isolation and depression which comes with it.

Peace to you
Jay

Old 09-07-2012, 03:25 AM   #9
(male)

bostonteach HB User

Which narcotics have you tried?

Reply Reply