It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

blon55 HB Userblon55 HB User
klonopin for neuropathic pain, etc.

Hi, I am wondering if anyone here has been prescribed klonopin for neuropathic pain, along with anxiety/mild panic. My dr just changed me to this drug and so far, it feels relaxing, like maybe I will get to sleep for more than 3 or 4 hours. The short acting ativan was just not right for me, as I was getting insomnia and anxiety that wwould only go away for a few hours.

I am hopeful it will help with the pain of my high grade partial tear of 2 hamstrings tendons, newly diagnosed, along with overstreched sciatic nerve. Anyone here with any luck with klonopin and neuropathic pain? I am hopeful

Old 08-31-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
(male)

jdny33 HB User
Re: klonopin for neuropathic pain, etc.

I take klonopin and really do prefer it to the short actin xanax or valium. I have a herniated disc in my knec and have trouble with sleep due to position issues. Arms go numb. It is long lasting and I don't feel dopey. It is in the opiate family and that is addicting. But it has been a godsend for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to jdny33 For This Useful Post:
blon55 (08-31-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
(female)

waters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB User

I thought Klonopin was a benzo, not an opiate. ??

Old 08-31-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
(female)

hillcountry63 HB User

Hi blon55 -

Klonopin was explained to me like this:
------†GABA is a neurotransmitter - a chemical that nerve cells use to communicate with each other. Klonopin enhances the effects of GABA in the brain. Theoretically reducing over-stimulated nerves.

I suppose the "over-stimulated" nerves can apply to chronic pain situations as well as anxiety disorders.

Although it is in the benzo family, many docs now use it in conjunction with other pain meds and muscle relaxers for conditions where nerve pain is present. I personally have had better results with Klonopin than I had all the years I took Neurontin.

I use the orally disentegrating form and it really gets at that nerve pain quickly - within 10 minutes or less. It has been a great adjunct med for my chronic neck to arm pain caused by osteophytes, bulging discs, etc. encroaching on nerves.

I take .25mg when a bad flare up hits and also up to 1mg at bedtime for the past 3 years. Added bonus, it helps with my sleep issues (caused by the pain).

Good luck - I hope it works well for you too.

The Following User Says Thank You to hillcountry63 For This Useful Post:
blon55 (09-01-2012)
Old 08-31-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
(male)

jdny33 HB User

Sorry you are correct. It is a benzo. Yes it is exactly as stated. I to took gabapentin but it did not work well. They tried topamax and now they are going for another but I asked for a break on meds. Benzos are also very addictive so be careful. I hear the withdrawl symptoms are the worst.

Good luck.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:37 AM   #6
(female)

hillcountry63 HB User

Hi jdny33 -

Thanks for the reminder. I have heard about the benzos and horrible withdrawals. Read it can take months of titrating down and up to 6 months to get it completely out of your system. Yikes! Not looking forward to that day.

For some reason I don't seem to build a tolerance to meds. I have been on same low narcotic dose for 8 years even though my condition has worsened. At times I feel like I need stronger pain med, but only during a bad flare. I started taking Baclofen (muscle relaxer) 5 years ago. It made me so loopy and spacy until I got used to it. Now it is giving me that feeling again, so I've had to reduce my dose to avoid the side effect - yet I'm not getting as much benefit from the med. I'm weird, I know.

Klonopin is classified in the benzo family, but I have seen it referred to as an "opiate type" med as well. Maybe because of the effect on nerve pain? Are you still taking it? I agree it is the only one that doesn't leave you feeling dopey.

Hope you can find the right combo to give you relief.

Kay

Old 09-05-2012, 04:12 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

I used to take clonazepam 4mg each night so I can sleep and get rid of this pain.
But it stopped working after 9 months....and so had to stop taking it.
I don't know why some people have high tolerance to pain medication and some don't.
Anybody here knows?
Wish I could use it again. Then after a while I started it again but it did nothing.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:26 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

So far a combination of the klonopin, compression shorts are helping me a lot. The klono helps me sleep(which has been al most nil for a year),it relaxes my mind so I can apply healing techniques of the spiritual/psychological/emotional types. It also relaxes my body. I am grateful to have this med, finally! Hope/it will keep working, or I will be miraculously healed instead

Old 09-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Clonazepam is a benzo...and so will stop working.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochange View Post
Clonazepam is a benzo...and so will stop working.
I am appreciative of positive support. This post does not qualify as positive or encouraging. Sorry no change, that a benzo did not help you.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Clonazepam is a great medication and helps to sleep. It is a positive thing!
But it will stop working for you too. Body gets used to it and it is called tolerance.
For some it takes weeks....for some it takes months....and sometimes couple of years....
But eventually it will stop working.
They just didn't invent anything that works as good as benzo and works for ever.

Reply Reply