It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
(female)

ctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB User
Post new to site

I have been reading information on this site for awhile now. I am a 33 yr old female with chronic left side pain. After many frusrating years of PCPs not believing my pain exsists I finally found a great PM doctor. I get alot of information from this site and it has helped me with what to say to my PM doctor as far as medications and helped me realize I am not alone! I am really glad to have found this!

Old 11-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
Re: new to site

Dear ctrue, Welcome to healthboards! I, too, started by researching my diagnosis and became a part of hb after reading for a long time. I didnt understand very well, what is the source of your pain? If you dont mind my asking? Hope that you find just what you are looking for. There are many helpful people on this board. And of course we are hurting, too. Thank you, gmak

Last edited by gmak; 11-21-2012 at 10:22 PM. Reason: typos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
(female)

Thumbs up Re: new to site

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmak View Post
Dear ctrue, Welcome to healthboards! I, too, started by researching my diagnosis and became a part of hb after reading for a long time. I didnt understand very well, what is the source of your pain? If you dont mind my asking? Hope that you find just what you are looking for. There are many helpful people on this board. And of course we are hurting, too. Thank you, gmak
First of all thanks for your response!!
I have left side pain. No doctor can really tell me why although I have gotten alot of speculation. The pain is located right where my kidney is and sometime goes into my back.
I have passed alot of(and had some surgically removed) kidney stones. I currently have 11 in my left kidney that have yet to pass. My urologist said that having that many could be the source of my pain, even though normally they dont cause pain unless they move down.
My PM doctor thinks my tube is damaged from all these stones passing and the scarring in my tube is the source. She said with that many left in my kidney, I am more than likely passing small fragments all the time. She said the scars in my tube would be hard places and anything hitting against them would cause pain. I wont know if that is true until I have another one surgically removed and have dye ran through. She said there was no point in doing this until then.
There have been other ideas but none proven. So all I can say is the pain is like having a kidney stone sort of but not as severe. It is always there and sometimes is worse than others. Some days I cant even get out of bed.
I have been lucky enough to find a great PM doctor who understands that just because you cant see a reason, doesnt mean it is not there.
She has me on lortab 10/500 3 times a day and 1 15 mg ms contin at bedtime. I am also trying an injection (not sure of the name all I know is it goes in my back down closer to my hip and not in my spine) sometime soon, after insurance approves it.
For now though my pain is controlled and I am def happy about that. It seemed like I went through alot of doctors to get to where I am, but I am glad I never gave up.
I got on here to get information from others and to share my story and see if anyone had anything similar. It is just good to know I am not alone. Chronic pain is hard to live with and especially when no one understands what I am going through.
Ctrue

Old 12-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi ctrue, Im so sorry that you had to go through all that! I know how hard it is to have something out of the ordinary & it hurts too bad all the time. I think the name for the injection you were looking for is an SI joint injection. Yes? No? That is where those dimples are @ the bottom of your back, is that where you meant? Everyone here understands. And not just Im sorry over & over, but i know & we onthis board know because we are hurting always too. Nothing has ever helped me more than, like you, i typed my story & bam! A member said I know, Im hurting too. Do you have a definitive answer as to the source of your left side pain? I can imagine how hard that was to communicate to the drs. Post anytime that you need support, or having a particularly bad pain day or just because. I have noticed that when you say more about surgeries, the source of pain, etc more specifics then more members can identify and respond that have that problem also. Then you may have better luck finding someone with your similar problem. But, we all have chronic pain here so in that we are all the same. Thank you, ctrue. We are glad you're here.

The Following User Says Thank You to gmak For This Useful Post:
ctrue (12-06-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
(female)

Its a hypogastric plexus block is what it is called. She can not guarentee it will help, but like I told her at this point I am willing to try anything. I will find out at my apt on the 17th if it is covered by my insurance and if so set it up. Thanks again for responding.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Hi true, You have heard of quarterbacks having problems with the brachial plexus, right? There are so many plexuxes, this one has to do with the nerves that involve the stomach, yes? But, all the nerves start in the back. God bless you ctrue & i hope this helps you. Please keep posting updates ok? Thanks

Old 12-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Hi ctrue, Forgot to tell you that I think I have experienced the pain that you describe! In 2000, it started with my left side hurting. My ribs, around my pelvic bone & just under my left ribs on back. Went in hosp ◊2 b/c i felt like i was being poisoned. Had 2 follow up dr appts.Blood tests. On a test my bun/creatinine ratio was off a little & dr said no, not kidney stone. Over 12 weeks I had this pain. Only thing that helped was to lay flat on back on concrete porch with thighs on chest. One morning bam! Visceral pain( kidney stone pain) hit me, go to ER, had 7 IVP's then they finally saw 1 1/2 inch of my ureter(tube that goes from kidney to bladder) was missing & urine pouring into my body. Cystoscope with retrograde pyelogram revealed that stone was clear, shaped like snowflake, sharper than scalpel & it had cut my ureter in half & 1 1/2 inches died. Put in a stent from kidney to urethra for 11 weeks to make sure the ureter grew back with a lumen.( like the area inside a piece of spaghetti or the space inside a shot needle). So, the kidney stone pain stopped & the other pain from ureter. I was already in pain mgmt was taking pain medicine for my back & that pain broke through. Sorry so long but i wanted you to know that it dawned on me that I could remember pain like you have described! Hope you have a happy ending too! Thanks, gmak

Last edited by gmak; 12-06-2012 at 01:42 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to gmak For This Useful Post:
ctrue (12-09-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
(female)

Thumbs up Re: new to site

Wow! I bet that stone was painful! I have had some hurt but none of them were sharp enough to cut my tube. My PM dr does think they caused scarring and that could be the source of some of my pain.
The block I am getting is for the abdomen. It will be on my left side to block the nerves going to the left side of my abdomen. Thats where my pain always is. I am hoping to get atleast some relief from it. Ill def let you know! Thanks for all your responses!

Reply Reply