It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 05:15 AM   #1
(female)

LDJ123 HB User
Hello New to the board

Hi,
I have to say I am so happy I found somewhere I can come to talk to people who are going through the same thing as me.
I had an accident at work almost a year ago. Since then I have been on workers comp/disability. The injury pretty much ruined me ever working in a high pace environment again.

I had an orthopedic surgeon until two weeks ago. He sent me to a DR to do a discogram which I decided against.( I have had two MRIs in less than a year) I went back to my ortho and told him I did not think now was the right time for a fusion. I am to young and my pain has become well controlled with epidural injections and medication. He got kind of weird, and said ok I am going to refer you to PM. I said well what about my epidural and my medications. His reply was you can get those through PM. I was shocked. The holidays were coming up and there was no way I was going to get through all that red tape before my medications ran out. Come to find out after speaking with my workers comp company they never got his referral! So here I am about to run out of meds he will not refill. I am so scared, I know exactly what a person looks like withdrawing.

I am stuck because I have no DR, almost out of medications, and no referral.
Any help would be appreciated or really just support. I feel like I am being treated like a drug seeker. Its awful. We are talking about a very small dosage Norco 5/325 here. I also know I have built up a tolerance to this drug as well. This last couple weeks have been tough.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-27-2012 at 07:29 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
(male)

deanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB User
Re: Hello New to the board

I would make an appointment with your primary doc. Lmk what happens.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:30 AM   #3
(female)

LDJ123 HB User

I don't have a PCP. My go to doctor for this injury was my ortho. After I said I did not want a fusion he told me he would be signing off on me and recommending PM. I now have to wait to be referred by the workers comp company. If I was to just go to a random doctor the visit would have to come out of my pocket. Since I am on disability I do not have that kind of money. So I have to hurry up and wait.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
(female)

ctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB User

Did you ak your ortho for refill until you can get into a PM dr? My PCP tried to tell me she couldnt refill after I was referred to a PM dr and my apt was over 3 wks away! Even on a small dose, your body gets use it and withdraws will happen and any dr knows that. Unfortanately some just dont care.
I would call again and ask him to set up your PM apt and tell him you will need enough medication to last until then. Let him know you are worried about managing your pain and if hes not willing to prescribe any, what should you do?
If he refuses, all you can really do is go to the ER if it gets too bad. Im so sorry you have a dr that would do that. Mine tried and I showed up at her office and waited until she made time to talk to me. I ended up with enough medication to last until my PM apt and that was all that matters.
I now have a GREAT PM dr, that I love so I am better off going to her anyways.
Good luck!!

Old 11-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
(male)

deanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDJ123 View Post
I don't have a PCP. My go to doctor for this injury was my ortho. After I said I did not want a fusion he told me he would be signing off on me and recommending PM. I now have to wait to be referred by the workers comp company. If I was to just go to a random doctor the visit would have to come out of my pocket. Since I am on disability I do not have that kind of money. So I have to hurry up and wait.
ER is always a fallback. Lmk what happens.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:29 AM   #6
(female)

LDJ123 HB User

I went to the ER. The doctor had me in tears he treated me so badly. He said they do not treat chronic pain. He stated I needed to follow up with my PCP. I tried to explain the situation but he just would not listen. My case manager talked to my ortho so hopefully I will have that referral this week. I feel like my pain is worse because I am so stressed over how I have been treated. If anyone knows of a good doctor in Las Vegas, please let me know. I am willing to pay out of pocket at this point. I just want someone to listen.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:52 AM   #7
(female)

shahila HB Usershahila HB Usershahila HB Usershahila HB Usershahila HB User

hello! i m sorry that the doctor does it. i found out most of people don't have the right understanding about pain of others, unless they experience the same .. dear, do only what u can ..

Old 12-03-2012, 06:59 AM   #8
(female)

LDJ123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahila View Post
hello! i m sorry that the doctor does it. i found out most of people don't have the right understanding about pain of others, unless they experience the same .. dear, do only what u can ..
Very True! I had my MRI on two different occasions at that hospital. It is not like there was not proof of my injury. Very frustrating.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #9
(male)

Doing any better? Sorry ur running into so many uncaring people.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #10
(female)

ctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB User

Im sorry the ER dr wouldnt help. I know there are new laws on them treating chronic pain, but that is if you are already in PM which you are not. I was even told by my PM dr if the pain gets worse than normal to go and I have and was treated. All the doctor could do was give me a pain shot but it helped. They are just not allowed to prescribe pain medication to take home. That all has to do with pain management though so I dont know why he refused to help you.
If you can find a PCP until you can get into PM, they may be able to help. You can have them pull your MRIs to prove injury and maybe they can control the pain until you get into PM.
I wish you luck and let us know how the PM apt goes. I hope you get someone understanding that cares.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #11
(female)

luvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB User

I see that the post was weeks ago but I wanted to see if anything has changed? How have you been feeling? Did you ever find a PCP? It is really horrible when doctor's treat their patients this way. And it doesn't help you and your health with the added stress. I hope that you were able to stretch out your meds for as long as possible. You are in my thoughts.
Pancreatic Stent
Osteoarthritis
Stroke
Leukopenia
Migraines
Power Port implant 2010
Total Right Hip Replacement

Reply Reply