It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 05:39 AM   #1
(female)

TB1123 HB User
Hi New Here

Hi everyone I am new here and just looking around. I hope everyone is having a pain free day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Paddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB User
Re: Hi New Here

Welcome TB1123 ! Thanks for the good wishes. Come here anytime, lots of helpful people who hope for a pain-free day everyday.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
(female)

Megonlegs HB UserMegonlegs HB UserMegonlegs HB User

Hi and Welcome!!

I'm new here, too and have found so many kind and understanding people on the forums.

Hope you have a pain-free day, and barring that, at least pain-free moments!

Again, welcome!

Old 02-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
(female)

ivytoo HB User

Another newbie here. This is my first post. I have a question about Butrans Patches if anyone else has used these I could use the info. The doc's assistant is unorganized and hasn't gotten around to pre-authorizing them for my insurance co to pay for them this year. I am almost out. Will I go into withdrawal if I cold turkey using them? I use the 20 mcg ones 1/week. Just wondering if I'll need a ride to the hospital because she can't get her act together. Or if I should take some additional narcotic pain meds to prevent withdrawal? Thanks!

Last edited by ivytoo; 02-27-2013 at 06:27 PM.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Welcome to the board Ivy!

Yes, you need to get the new patch asap. You will go into withdrawal (not immediately, but you will) and I don't know how your oxycodone at whatever dose would tide you over. Wd it be possible for you to pay for the patches, (or just one of them) at least this time, and work away at the insurance company approval with the assistant as fast as you can? And then if it is approved, you should be able to submit directly to the insurance company for those few first patches. Maybe - not sure you want to do this, but if you mention to your doc the $ issue, he may hurry it along for you as well.
I started Butrans 6 weeks ago and I am loving it. Couple of tips. I find that if I keep my patch dry as possible while I bathe or shower, the itching is kept to a minimum. Also, draw a pencil drawing of your body in a little notepad, put little squares on where you could put the patch. When you change the patch weekly, make note of the date & what spot you are applying (#1 for left shoulder, #2 for right shoulder, etc.) Because they say when you use a spot, you must not use it again for 3 times. I use a 20 mcg patch, with Oxycodone Immediate Release for breakthrough. I would really like to increase the patch dose instead of the OxyIR pills. It's a psychological thing I think having the patch to do once a week only versus pills - been on chronic pain management for over 14 years now. So I'm still working on what my perfect BuTrans dose will be.

BTW, here, I had no trouble with the insurance - approved right away.

Again, Welcome, and I Hope this helps!

The Following User Says Thank You to Paddy55 For This Useful Post:
ivytoo (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
(female)

ivytoo HB User

It's not the doc, it's the dragon at the door. She is lazy, other patients have complained but she's been there forever. I requested the pre-auth 3 weeks ago, followed up with another phone call, and a written letter and one more call. She only does them on Thursdays and last week there was a snow day. I have refills available, just have to get them pre-auth'd to get ins to pay. I will try calling the pharmacy to see if they can sell me just one. Total for 4 = $478.99. At least 1 would get me through another week. Thanks for your advice!

Old 02-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
(female)

5alive HB User5alive HB User5alive HB User

A big welcome from me.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
(female)

ivytoo HB User

Thanks again for your advice. The pharmacy worked with me, allowing me 1 patch while I'm waiting for the auth. Then later I called the insurance co and told them I could end up in emergency if the pre-auth is delayed and they authorised it over the phone. Yippee! Now I'm no longer dependent on the assistants whim. Again, I appreciate your suggestions!

Old 02-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
(female)

Megonlegs HB UserMegonlegs HB UserMegonlegs HB User

Great news! Glad you were able to get the insurance company on your side!

Old 02-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Ivy - Well Done! We have to be our own best advocates, don't we? Looks like you are doing that very well indeed!

Old 02-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivytoo View Post
Thanks again for your advice. The pharmacy worked with me, allowing me 1 patch while I'm waiting for the auth. Then later I called the insurance co and told them I could end up in emergency if the pre-auth is delayed and they authorised it over the phone. Yippee! Now I'm no longer dependent on the assistants whim. Again, I appreciate your suggestions!
Hi ivytoo, Hooray! What great news! Im interested in progress on the butrans patch. Have you ever worn fentanyl patch? Or timed release morphine?You had refills available so butrans is not a schedule 2 or 3 medicine, like what i would call a triplicate? Will research, btw i wear fentanyl patch & i have a cute rectangular basket that will fit in a cabinet & i keep my patches, the tegaderm type overlay dressings( for extra stick, less itchingb/c it keeps the water out,) & calendar & pen. On date of patch application i write the number of the patch & the area where i applied the patch on the calendar on the square for that date: Example: 2/23 #4 L ribs. This has helped me for years to keep track of where i can choose to apply the patch & some manufacturers supply the "covers" free however Can the Butrans patch be covered?

Last edited by gmak; 02-28-2013 at 11:42 AM. Reason: wording

Reply Reply