It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Codependency Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2003, 11:25 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

GinaLee HB User
Lightbulb Co-dependency and Addiction

In answer to #1Texan’s question:

“When did you discover you were Co-Dependant? I had never heard of it until about 6 years ago. Have you read Co-Dependant No more?

Texan:
I found out about co-dependency in May 2001 and it was indeed a huge eye-opener for me. I did read 'Co-Dependent No More' and even bought several copies for the friends of mine that I recognized as such within the pages of the book. My friends were really happy that I gave it to them and they too were enlightened about themselves.

I would recommend anyone who feels as if they must save the world or the people in their inner circle to read that book. Being co-dependent can be self-destructive and misguided…

Since reading 'CD No More', I have done my best to not fall into the trappings of my inner-core...the part of me that allows people to take advantage of me and the part of me that feels compelled to solve the problems of others…especially when not invited to do so.

My Opinion: I think a lot of us are here on these boards not only to seek opinions and advice of others but to also feed our own need to “help” those in crisis/need.
Co-dependency runs deep...but I don’t think it’s necessarily always a bad thing.

The trick is to do what you feel you want to for others but expect nothing in return... don’t count on undying gratitude for your good deeds/advice.

I also think OpenSeason is a prime “on-line” example of this kind of giving person. Don’t know if he is co-dependent but I do know that he pops into the different message boards on this site and offers his two-cents worth and goes on to the next subject. I don’t think he’s ever asked for advice...he just offers/gives it, or at the least “food for thought”.

Mind you, I feel his advice and comments are sound and sincere. So, Mr. OpenSeason… press on; I have appreciated your thoughts and views.

------------------
Gina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2003, 01:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

#1Texan HB User
Gina
You are so right about us being self-destructive and misguided.

I have given my copy out to 2 women friends of mine and one was as stunned as I was when she read it, she was grateful and went and bought her own copy.

Another friend blew it off, she recognized some of her behaviour, but made no effort to stop it.

So one friend is a happier person and the other is still trying to "fix" everybody.

When I was married to the A I always, always tried to make it right, it was exhausting, 18 years worth. Once we divorced I met a man who was a recovering A, and he pointed out to me he thought I was CD, so I bought the book and it was a compelling read. The longer I was with this guy the more I recognized this fault in me and guess what he took full advantage of it. He used me for sex, baby sitting, housekeeping, etc.

Once I was over him I set some boundries for myself and they work.

I have always been outspoken and when I was married to the A I quit, I got tired of the arguing and bickering.

I am happy to say I am closer to the old me now. I say what I feel, when I feel it. I feel so much better.

I agree that it isn't always a bad thing, I have learned with my friends, to help if I really see them in pain over something, and I always tell them "This is just my opinion, it doesn't really mean s--t"

I hope you have had a good day today.

Take Care
#1 T

The Following User Says Thank You to #1Texan For This Useful Post:
angrygrr (08-27-2011)
Old 03-10-2003, 09:44 PM   #3
Veteran

Citykittie HB User
I know this isn't exactlly what you ment by this post, but I wonder if this book will help me.

This weekend I was soooooo depressed because my bestfriend will still not divorce her abusive husband even when I paid her lawyers retainer (without her asking) - and no matter how much stuff (toys) I keep buying my boyfriend he is never happy or satisfied. His happiness is so based on material stuff and I get upset I can't get him to see the light.

[This message has been edited by Citykittie (edited 03-11-2003).]

Old 03-11-2003, 04:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

GinaLee HB User
Co-Dependency comes in all kinds of interesting behaviour. It's a need to control others actions and can cause much distress if the object of your good will doesn't seem to want to go along with the plan...your plan. Go to your local library and look for:

"Codependent No More: How to Stop Controlling Others and Start Caring for Yourself", by Melody Beattie

The first chapter or thereabouts has several short stories of individuals depicting the different forms of codependency. The next chapter is a checklist of sorts to help you identify the many characteristics of codependency within yourself.

I think just about everyone has "symptoms" of codependency in varying forms; so just because you can say "yes" to a few of the questions doesn't necessarily qualify you.

Answers are "often, sometimes, or never"...(I think?) be completely honest with yourself as you go thru each question. You'll quickly recognize yourself as CD as you read the first few stories and you'll get a better understanding via the checklist.

It can be a very emotional experience if you start recognizing yourself within the pages of her book. So be prepared for some truths laid out and in your face. It can also be the best book you've ever read.

Another thing about the book is that it will help you identify where your codependent roots were formed in your life. She (the author) doesn't belittle the codependent; but she certainly gives you truly excellent ways to alter your behaviour.

I do not feel any shame for being codependent; I simply work to the best of my ability to not take on the problems of the world to the point that I become emotionally involved or consumed. (tough job sometimes)

The roads of codependency are paved with good intentions that have an incredible knack for turning sour!

I think you'll enjoy the book.

Now...go to the library right THIS minute! Ya hear me??? Trust me! I KNOW what's BEST for you; MUCH better than you know for yourself! (LOL)...git da picher?

Happy Day to you Miss Kittie!

------------------
Gina

Old 03-11-2003, 04:37 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

#1Texan HB User
Good Morning City Kitty

Do you find yourself getting angry that these 2 important people in your life seem to be "not listening" to you.

Does your friend say negative things about her husband yet still finds reasons for staying?

The biggest problem of CD is when I have expectations out of folks. I have learned that when I expect something I always get let down.
I then get angry that "didn't" behave the way I thought they should.
I learned to set boundries, and it helps, I slip too, I'm human.

Let me ask another question: Do you ever feel like you want to stop being this womans best friend?

Gina:
I have wondered how you have been doing, I thought maybe I may have said something that you didn't care for in this post. I hope I haven't offended you.

I hope you both have a good day today.

Take care
#1 Texan

Old 03-11-2003, 04:57 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

GinaLee HB User
TEXAN!!!

NO!!! I am so sorry that you had any idea that I was offended by anything you have said to me! Absolutely not true!

Now... being the CD that I am; may I suggest... (smile)

Seriously, I have not been offended by anyone, and certainly not you, on these boards. I know I may have offended some but I can learn to live with the knowledge that I can't please everyone!

You've been nothing but kind to me and since you like to tell it like it is... don't ever feel you should hold back if you feel you need to tell me a thing or two!

Texan's... y'all so silly! (uh...that's to be smiled at)

------------------
Gina

Old 03-11-2003, 05:07 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

#1Texan HB User
Gina
It's these big Texas hearts we have! not all of us are as caring about folks, you should see the way some of my fellow Texans act WOOOO!

So how are you doing, did you order the book you were referring to?

You had made a comment in a previous post about trying not to drink I think you said by Sunday night, did that work?

I read you post about smoking, ME TOO, I'm in agreement with on that. I don't quit tho because I am scared to death I will get fat again! Can't be fatter than I am now ( I obsess about that too) Geez!

I hope you have a good day today, and the weather will be nice where you are, that always helps me.

Take Care

T

Old 03-11-2003, 05:35 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

GinaLee HB User
Cool

Oh what the hell... if we aren't obsessing over some thing or another... what WOULD we do with ourselves??

My hopes and dreams to hold off on drinking went extremely well from the hours beginning Sunday night around 9:30 all the way 'til approximately 2:30 Monday afternoon.

And the nice cold beer that I am consuming as I write this is getting me past the jitters caused by a bit of overindulgence last night.

and s'more truth... I completely forgot to order the book... but I WILL!!! Honestly, I definitely will. Today!! I will do it today! I absolutely promise (myself, not you). Us alkies have to commit to ourselves ya know. I will order it and even show some sort of proof that I did.

The biggest trick will be to actually open the book and begin doing as it tells me to do. I'll keep you informed...and thank you for being so CD with me... see, sometimes... it really isn't always such a bad thing.

------------------
Gina

Old 03-11-2003, 05:48 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

#1Texan HB User
You are a Hoot!

Get your rear in gear and get on amazon and order the book!

Ok?

I'll order it too if I have too and we can READ IT TOGETHER!

I'm having lunch with my son today, his GF has decided to move back home(YES) I never thought they were suited for each other. Poor thing, he his hurting but not as bad as I thought he would be, he's like "I've done all I know to do and She has to do what she feels is best for her" This is his first serious relationship. I hope he can continue to move forward and find some body that he is on the same page with.

Order the book!

Take care

T

Old 03-11-2003, 06:43 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

GinaLee HB User
Exclamation

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif Yes ma'am! Gee you sure are a pushy Texan!

Well IF you don't mind... I really must get my lazy butt to work! I have a business meeting at 11:30 that I was NOT planning on. (just talked to da boss)...

I have lovely work hours... I'll be there when you see me... and leave when I wanna....Just make sure my paycheck isn't docked! However, business meetings take priority. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/hammer.gif

(Sorry, about your son...Love certainly can be a *****)

------------------
Gina

Old 03-11-2003, 06:55 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

#1Texan HB User
Wink

Thanks, I think he will be ok, but ya' never know.

I only push cause I care (that's only a little of the CD coming thru)

Have a good meeting.

T

Old 03-11-2003, 04:21 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

GinaLee HB User
Here you go Ms. Texan:

ORDER DETAILS
Shipping Details (order will arrive in 1 shipment)
Order Number: xxx-xxxxxxx-xxx5419

Subtotal of Items: $ 36.16
Shipping & Handling: $ 4.98
Super Saver Discount: -$ 4.98
Total for this Order: $ 36.16

ITEMS:
Shipping estimate: March 17, 2003
Delivery estimate: March 21, 2003 - March 22, 2003

1 "Sober for Good" Anne M. Fletcher (Author); Hardcover; @ $25.00 each
------------------------------------------------------1 "Seven Weeks to Sobriety" Joan Mathews Larson, Joan Mathews-Larson; Paperback; @ $11.16 each

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I decided to get the Fletcher book too...it had such good reviews that I figured I might as well kick in some extra incentive...help?... whatever.
Okay... now let's just get me to the point of opening the books and *gasp* reading them!

------------------
Gina

Old 03-11-2003, 05:05 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

#1Texan HB User
Ok. We can do this if you want to. I will help all I can. I will go to B. Dalton tomorrow and get them too.

If you really want a partner..Pardner, I will read with you.

#1T

Old 03-11-2003, 05:24 PM   #14
Senior Veteran

GinaLee HB User
Yep... nothin' codependent about you! No Sir! Well, take your time...delivery isn't expected for about 10 days... Thank God!... or not. I am so aprehensive about this. I want it to work; I really do.
I just don't want to fail...again.
Tex you're great; it will be really nice to have you out there to help me through this.
HOWEVER!! I have another pressing problem that maybe you could help with. There are unknown persons out there in cyber-marketing-land that are insisting on fixing a different problem...that I didn't even know I had!
Subj: Gina Grow your penis safely and naturally

They tawkin' to me???

------------------
Gina

Old 03-11-2003, 05:34 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

#1Texan HB User
Do You get those too???? I thought we were special down here DARN HEE HEE!

I made the mistake of being TO CURIOUS and looked at some of those e-mails, guess what I got.. a virus that nearly killed my pc and me, Man it was awfull.

I'm just being me when I say I'll help, I will push gently.

If I may be so bold... What state are you in?

#1T

Closed Thread