It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Codependency Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
(female)

Misssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB User
So sick of the word Co-dependency! LOL

I have been told at least 7 times in the last week that I am co-dependent.
I KNOW that I am co-dependent. I don't think being co-dependent is ALL BAD. I can see co-dependency being bad when it is UNHEALTHY. But, I think that some of my co-dpendency makes me feel good.
I don't understand what is so wrong with wanting or needing other people to help build my self-esteem or to give me compliments to make me feel better if I am down. Or what is wrong with wanting to be with someone....if being with someone makes you happy? If I say I haven't been with my boyfriend for 2 weekends in a row....and I am getting SAD....people say I'm co-dependent...OK! Than I'm co-dependent. I told my boyfriend sometimes I need a little push to have incentive to do something and then once I do it...I realize I enjoy it....people call that co-dependency. If my kids are in pain or in harms way...I react with depression and can't live my life until I find a way to help them - co-dependency....NO...I just have a mothers love for my kids and want them to be ok. GEEZ. I understand this is a real term "co-dependency" and from other peoples prespective, I am HUGELY co-dependent. It just cracks me up that there is a word for everything. How about that is just the type of person I am?

Old 10-30-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
(female)

Misssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB User
Re: So sick of the word Co-dependency! LOL

Oh..and I'm co-dependent on these boards and other boards....i post my problems and i depend on others to put their two cents in so that I can evaluate when I am being rationale vs. irrationale...so if I'm co-dependent for posting on the boards...than there are a MILLION co-dependent people in the world...with me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I'm co-dependent and I learned a lot from reading the book "co-dependent no more". it's always unhealthy to meet everyone elses needs to the exclusion of your own

The Following User Says Thank You to rosequartz For This Useful Post:
Misssty (10-30-2010)
Old 10-30-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
(female)

I'm not talking about the part where i meet everyone elses needs (which I do too.).
I'm talking about my happiness being dependent on other people meeting my needs. LOL

Old 11-03-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
(male)

Zoran HB User

You said it yourself, co-dependency is bad when it's unhealthy, only then it'll be bad for you and you won't feel comfortable.
We are social beings and it's only natural that we're co-dependent to a certain healthy level. Even those people who say they're lone wolves need somebody to be close to them.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:46 AM   #6
(male)

Adam Kadmon HB User

Co-dependency - the whole marriage system is built on the idea of co-dependency. To challenge co-dependency is to challenge marriage and other committed relationships between two people.

Singleness, independence, self-orientation are supposedly healthier, better life choices. I don't think so - those characteristics lead to loneliness at the very least and to sociopathy at worst.

I want to take care of people and I want them to take care of me. There is nothing wrong with that. It is healthy. The Co-dependency Movement has got it wrong.

Oh - and don't anyone "hug" me. It is fake psychobabble to say you can hug me - you can't because you are on the other side of the planet. It is also horrible "touchy-feely" thinking which gets in the way of real emotion and honest feelings. It is the psychobabblers equivalent of the Hollywood air kiss - insincere and unwelcome.

Last edited by Adam Kadmon; 06-28-2011 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Saw the horrid little "hug-o-meter" on the side and had to comment.

Closed Thread