It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Codependency Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
(female)

mellow HB Usermellow HB Usermellow HB Usermellow HB Usermellow HB User
I am not the addict but sometimes think....

How am I not after dealing with my whole family being addicts. My siblings, parents, aunts, uncles....are all either actively addicts or years sober now. what I don't get is how one throws stones at another when these 2 in particular are doing the same darn thing? As much as I learned in Adult children of Alcoholics, Al anon & Narcotics anon (not sure if they even have that anymore, this was years ago) I guess I was still an enabler until about a year ago. HELLO DUMMY. Pretty sad to be surrounded by people battling these life altering addictions. I myself have a weight issue and am consumed all day with the thought of food. So I can see how it controls a persons life. I am not 500 lbs. nor am I 80 lbs., not anorexic, or have bulimia. Just constantly think "if i eat that, i will gain weight, if i don't eat that i will think about it forever and be miserable etc...

Any how back to alcohol/drugs. i am 40 and have taken care of so many people in my family because of their addictions. Is there anyone out there who has gotten clean, stayed clean, and taken ownership of how it impacted their families lives? It just amazes me how many people that it affects so negatively. I truly feel I have lost so many good years of my life, I never had a chance to be a kid and lost so many relationships being "on call for these folks 24/7 (which I now see is my own dang fault!. Just frustrated and sad!

The following user gives a hug of support to mellow:
bossygirl (08-23-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
(male)

Norcoguy HB UserNorcoguy HB User
Re: I am not the addict but sometimes think....

Another strange thing is how addiction and marriage/relationship problems go hand and hand hardly ever one without the other.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: I am not the addict but sometimes think....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellow View Post
Is there anyone out there who has gotten clean, stayed clean, and taken ownership of how it impacted their families lives? It just amazes me how many people that it affects so negatively.
Hello M,

I can attest to the above statement.

I have come to realize that I cannot make up for the past but possess the potential to provide for a brighter future.

Yes,people were affected by my drug-seeking behavior and this is something that I will have to live with.....

for the rest of my life.

I look back and see myself in an "invisible" war that only I had comprehension of.

With any war,there are "casualties" that you don't want to be harmed but for one reason or another are nonetheless.

Once in the "fog" of addiction,it is impossible to see the extent of the damage,until the "smoke" clears and you are able to see what has transpired.

I am not posting this as an excuse but rather an explanation of the way I perceive my particular set of circumstances,without going into the "who,what,where and why" of it all.

All I can say,from the bottom of my heart,is that I am sorry that it is people like you that get caught in the "crossfire" that addiction presents.

Respectfully stated
Phoenix

Closed Thread