It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Codependency Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
(female)

Ellie1962 HB UserEllie1962 HB UserEllie1962 HB UserEllie1962 HB User
Addicted Friends, continue

Am a recovered prescription pill junkie...have not had anything addictive in 12 years. I have mental health issues and am averaging a hospitalization about ever 7 years or so. I had 2 last year that friends know about. That being said, I am wondering if I can get some advice...tell me if I'm paranoid or just on guard.

I remet friends I had not seen in 4 years. The disappeared and I had no way to contact them. They go to my mental health clinic. They are a married couple with 2 kids. They told me they wanted to be friends again and I let them back into my life, even though they disappeared when they owed me a lot of money which they have not paid back and say they cannot. They flip me a $20 bill every month or so. I liked them when I knew them 4 years ago but they have changed a lot. He is an alcoholic. His prescriber cut him off from ativan after she found out he was abusing it. She called his physician and he cannot get any pills. He is supposed to be on psych meds but does not take them. He does not go to appts at the clinic. She is on valium and morphine. She gives him her pills. He drinks beer all day long. I have never seen him drunk. He is maintaining. A couple of weeks ago he started having some symptoms of possible stroke. I had coffee with his wife twice and told her I think she should get him to ER. She never did. One day I called their house and he answered and was barely audible. He told me he couldn't see out of one eye and that his left side was totally numb. I asked him if he wanted a ride to ER and he said no, he'll wait for his wife to get home. about an hour later I called and there was no answer because I was worried. I drove over there and basically, he told me that he took his wife's morphine pills and didn['t want to go to ER because if they found out they'd get in trouble. I told him he shouldn't be taking meds not prescribed to him and that I didn't think he should wait any longer, that I was worried and told them I almost called 911 instead of driving over there. They both looked at each other and I told them if he needed a ride to ER to call me. His wife called me the next day and said "I just wanted you to know that EVERYTHING is FINE here." She was very unfriendly and I got the message. I cannot think for them, force them to get help, and I suspect they are into other things and that 1 morphine pill he might have taken didn't stop him from getting help in the ER. Apparently his symtpoms went away. He can see and he is no longer having numbness. I got a call from her today and she said she was VERY worried about me because she had not heard from me yesterday, and that she didn't know if I got put back into the hospital. The way she said it made me feel disturbed. Because she told me she was calling me "all day yesterday" and there was no answer, so she said she was worried. I told her there were no calls from her on my caller ID, and that I was home all day and my phone never even range. So she said something like "you are SURE there are no calls from me on your caller ID?" I am doing very well. I have gotten a lot of help from last year's problems. I am in better shape than they are. When I realized what the both of them were into with addictions I started stepping back, although I did try to help him with he had his stroke symptoms. I am not a paranoid person on a bad day. I have a feeling that she called and said these things to me, even lying to me about calling me and getting no answer thus causing her to worry I was in the hospital, because they feel threatened that I know things now or have figured things out regarding their own situation. It sounded like she practiced what she was going to say. It sounded like they were maybe saying...you know this aobut us, we know you flipped out last year...maybe we'll call 911 for YOU. And it would not be necessary. I basically told her that I give her no reason to worry and she should not if she doen'st hear from me, I am busy with appointments and things here, and that I have documents in my home regarding my diagnosis, and I wear a medical bracelet as well. She had nothing to say after that. I was upset and ended the phone call telling her to have a nice day.

I wanted to get other peoples takes on this. When I was in addiction I was pretty isolated at the time. I told no one my business and people were surprised I had addictions when I told them afterwards. I bothered no one, and caused no drama in my own life or others. I simply only hurt myself. I feel disturbed that I think these people may be tryhing to send some sort of message to me only because I tried to help him. He was very sick and saw it for myself. He has family and a wife and nobody took him to ER. Also, when I was there that night I drove over, his wife made a feable attempt to go to ER with me and he told her "this is our FOOD money." He then told me that if their physician finds out she gave him her morphine they would lose their benefits. I'm thinking they told me too much. What I know is going nowhere. I have not called them and have not been there. I think THEY got paranoid about what they let me know. Basically, I think I'm done with them. She was smart about it though...who could complain about a friend calling worried. But her calls were not on my caller ID and my phone didn't ring yesterday. I had terrilbe hospital experiences last year. I have given them or no one else reason to even mention the hospital to me. I think she was covertly threatening me. I have therapy tomorrow. I am going to check this out with the therapist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2011, 01:50 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Addicted Friends, continue

Hello Ellie,

Stay as far away from them as possible.

Misery just adores company and their lifestyle has the potential to bring you more harm than anything else.

Your optimism is admirable but with this particular set of circumstances,the glass is half full.....

with poison.

Respectfully,
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 06-20-2011 at 02:19 AM.

Closed Thread