It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2002, 06:29 AM   #1
ilovesunshine

Question Cold remedies

What are some of the natural ways to get rid of a cold??

Old 11-04-2002, 06:55 AM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Chicken soup, a hot toddy, zinc lozenges and plenty of liquids. To help keep from getting colds etc in the first place be sure to use a good antioxidant supplement daily.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2002, 07:07 AM   #3
ilovesunshine

OK thanks for the info. Please tell me what is a toddy??

Old 11-08-2002, 10:18 PM   #4
Inactive

mlgable HB User
A hot toddy is made with hot water, lemon juice and honey and often has either brandy or whiskey in it. People who don't drink just leave out the alcohol though. This is an old fashioned rememdy that has been used for years.

Old 11-09-2002, 12:24 AM   #5
Inactive

SnowyLynne HB User
There Is no cure for the common cold.Just ride It out,drink plenty of fluids & rest.I haven't had a cold In 30 yrs.Used ti have them every time I turned around It seemed when younger......

Old 11-09-2002, 04:05 AM   #6
Super Sarah

Talking

Try some Echinacea tincture. This is extremely good for boosting the immune system and helping you to fight the cold naturally in the first place.

Also, homeopathic remedies are excellent for colds, depending on what you symptoms are.

If you have only just got the cold and are streaming, then try some ACONITE 30c and this should stop it from developing.

If your cold is at the stage when your nose is running and streaming and your nose is also slightly blocked and your nose is sore underneath, you feel very chilly, are thirsty for small sips and feel restless, then try some ARSENICUM ALBUM 30c.

If your cold has developed more and you are at the stage when you have yellow discharge from the nose and you also have a cough, but not necessarily, may just be the purulent discharge from the nose, you feel slightly chilly, thirstless and a bit miserable with it then try some PULSATILLA 30c.

If your cold has slowly developed over a few days into flu like symptoms and you have a slight fever with muscle aches and just feel generally low, listless and unwell, the try some GELSEMIUM 30c.

If your cold developed rapidly and you have a fever and feel hot with a throbbing headache and a flushed face, feel restless, then try some BELLADONNA 30c.

Try these and see.

Old 11-11-2002, 06:36 PM   #7
ilovesunshine

Where can I find echinacea? In a healthfood store? Thanks for replying. I like to try and get rid of a cold the natural way since I heard that OTC remedies don't work very well.

Old 11-12-2002, 02:55 AM   #8
Super Sarah

Talking

You should be able to get both Echinacea tincture and the homeopathic remedies I listed in a healthfood store. You should also be able to get Echinacea tincture in a pharmacy too. They carry natural ranges now too and some stores sell it.

Natural is best and as you said yourself, OTC meds don't help colds at all, they just cause more suppression, so you could end up worse off.

Old 11-12-2002, 08:22 PM   #9
ilovesunshine

Yes I agree that Natural remedies are more effective than OTC medicines that don't work as well.

Old 11-13-2002, 09:31 AM   #10
Inactive

1Dove HB User
I know I'm going to be unpopular for saying this, but the only way homeopathic remedies can work is through the placebo effect. If you study the whole premise of homeopathy, you would realize that it is false. The amount of the substance left in the dilution is so small that it couldn't possibly help. As for taking herbs, which is totally different than homeopathy, some may help, but so will good nutrition. The safety and effectiveness have not been well enough studied for most herbs. And to say that just because something is natural it is good for you, is not always the case. Some plants are completely natural, and also poisonous. At least over the counter and perscription remedies have been studied and approved by the FDA, and you know what you're getting. Just a different perspective.

Old 11-13-2002, 11:33 AM   #11
Super Sarah

Talking

Homeopathy does not work by the placebo effect and yes, you are correct that the higher the dose that there is no molecule left in the substance and after a 12c the substanace does exceed Avogadros number, but these substances work on an energy level rather than a physical level. If you buy a 6x or a 6c potency, then these do contain a molecule of the original substance.

Energy is all around you and you are made of energy - you consist of water and are made up of atoms and molecules and these exist all around you. The whole world is made from energy and homeopathic remedies at a higher dilution work with energy rather than on a pharmacological level. Atoms and molecules are energy and any physicist would tell you the same as I am telling you now.

There is lots of research available that has scientifically proved that homeopathy works. Maybe not in the States, but you have to go to the UK and it is available via the Faculty of Homeopathy in Glasgow, Scotland, UK.

Also, try reading the book by Colin B Lessell called the A New Physics of Homeopathy published by the Alliance of Registered Homeopaths in England. This guy is a doctor, a dentist and a physisist and he explains just how homeopathy works on a physical level.

As for the herbs, yes, some are poisonous, but used from the correct part of the plant and in the correct amount, it is not and can be beneficial. Most trained herbalist use a combination of herbs anyway and used in this way it is not poisonous at all.

OTC drugs may have been FDA tested, but if you look more closely, a lot of what is used comes from plant products in the first place and has been attenuated for use so they can get a licence. This is then not pure and why so many drugs have so many side effects.

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 11-14-2002).]

Old 11-13-2002, 03:38 PM   #12
Inactive

1Dove HB User
I have also studied these subjects, and have come to a different opinion than you have. Suggested reading: Examining Alternative Medicine by Paul C. Reisser, M.D. It examines many of the alternative therapies in depth, from a scientific point of view.

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 11-14-2002).]

Closed Thread