It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2003, 06:50 AM   #1

seemariet HB User
tonsillectomy questions

Hi. I have a few questions about a tonsillectomy. I know everyone is different but I wanted to hear about other peoples experiences. I am 27 and am scheduled to go in for a tonsillectomy the Monday before Thanksgiving

I only took off a week from work...is that long enough? Also, I was wondering how long I will have to stay off of solid food (I know Thanksgiving will be shot). Finally, what pain meds should be prescribed. My ENT said he would give me Tylonol with Codine but I have never taken that before and was told it might not be strong enough.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by seemariet; 11-11-2003 at 12:48 PM.

Old 11-13-2003, 08:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Based on my ENT's suggestion (orders), I took off two weeks from work, because he told me I COULD start bleeding and it wouldn't be pretty. I didn't. I was glad I took off the time because a couple days after the surgery, I lost my voice for about a week. If you don't need to talk, you should be okay. I didn't sleep very well during the night because I'd wake up 'cuz my throat would dry up and feel all sticky and sore -- because I was sleeping and not drinking water and chewing ice constantly, like I'd do during the day.

I was given liquid tylenol with codeine, which seemed to take the edge off. As far as eating solid food, you can eat whatever you want, but you're most likely not going to feel like eating -- your throat'll hurt, it feels funny swallowing and nothing tastes the same. I survived on crackers dipped in broth, pudding, ice cream, but mostly I drank lots and lots and lots of water and chewed on ice. Kept the throat lubricated. Plus you do NOT want to get dehydrated 'cuz that could mean a trip to the hospital and iv's.

Oh and here's another "fun" thing that might happen. Because your tonsils will be gone, you'll have all kinds of room in your throat, so you'll have to relearn how to swallow again. Nothing like swallowing wrong and having milk come out your nose

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2003, 12:18 PM   #3
(female)

nelzun HB User
I took a week off from work and was still sore, but functional. I got my surgery last August and I was 25. The surgery was a breeze. I woke up fine and I was sore the first few days, but it was on a Tuesday and I went out to a CD relsease party for my friend's band on Friday. I didn't take much of the pain medication (tylenol 3 with codeine in liquid form) and none that night. The last four days were the worst. I ate soup but it burned after the fourth day. It was like pouring salt on an open wound, no matter what I ate. So I tried to eat around the pain dosage time and take the pain medicine right after. That seemed to work. It wasn't the most pleasant experience, but I had a good three days before I was in much pain.

Old 11-19-2003, 07:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
I was functional and I'm sure I could've gone back to work after a week -- but the doctor said two weeks, I had more than enough sick leave saved up. For some strange reason it takes adults longer to recover. I've heard stories of little kids who have the surgery and proceed to eat a hot dog and potato chips for their next meal and a perfectly fine after a day or two.

I didn't really have any major pain, except my ears would start to hurt if I didn't drink enough fluids. My throat mainly felt raw and sticky -- like if you've had a really bad cough.

Another word of advice. DO NOT, under any circumstances look in the mirror at your throat. It looks horrible! Eventually the scabs will fall off and it'll heal, but until then. EWWWW!

Closed Thread