It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2003, 05:34 PM   #1
(male)

GodChaser777 HB User
Question about flu vaccine

Iam scheduled to take a flu vaccine monday but it ends up I just found out my nephew has the flu and a pretty bad case. Anyhow I was around him all of thanksgiving day and Iam worried I have been majorly exposed. Anyhow I was wondering how long the virus incubates in your body before its unleashed and I was also wondering should I still get the shot even though theres a chance I have the virus in my body? And if I take the vaccine with the virus in my body isnt there a chance I will catch the flu?

Old 11-29-2003, 10:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Question about flu vaccine

Hi,

Maybe your nephew has a flu that you once had and you won't be getting it again.

They won't give you the flu shot if you're sick.

Even if you get the flu shot, it won't prevent you from getting it. They only immunise you against the 3 most dangerous and affluent ones every year. There are over a hundred different flu viruses. If we've had a flu shot, we can still get one of the three, but we won't get it as bad and we probably won't die from it.

The one that's out now...can't remember which one that has already been responsible for some deaths, which isn't included in the flu shot, will be somewhat protected against if we did get a shot. The body's defenses will provide the same scenario.....not as bad and not likely to kill.

Flu is very dangerous to anyone who is compromised such as children, eldery, cancer patients, AIDS patients, those with asthma or respiritory disorders, anyone on immunosuppressing meds...etc.

I think the flu's incubation period is 2 - 3 days....but that's easily checked out on the internet.

I hope you don't have it...and if you're still well, go for the shot if you're really worried about it.

Keep well,
quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2003, 02:37 AM   #3
Inactive

hotchic85 HB User
Re: Question about flu vaccine

Incubation is 2-3 days. If you're feeling okay on Monday, I'd say to go ahead and get the shot. It's worth it. And, it is a dead virus so if you do end up getting the flu, it's not because of the shot, but because you were probably incubating the infection previously.

Closed Thread