It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2003, 11:01 PM   #1
(female)

prncssxjx HB User
Angry flu

hi. i was just wondering...is it possible to catch the flu after you've already had it? like is it once you've got it for the season thats it....or can you catch it multiple times?

my brother has the flu right now and i've been taking care of em...just barely starting to come down with a lil cough.
i was just wondering if anybody knew any good home remedies.
right now i'm just takin 2 of the halls defense vitamin c drops a day and trying to eat a lot of garlic. not really sure what else to do.
i've been trying to avoid getting sick since i could end up in the hospital if i catch it. but washing my hands and spraying disinfectant spray i guess isnt doin the trick.
if anybody has any ideas please let me know.

-Jackie

Old 12-02-2003, 12:25 AM   #2
Inactive

heidifxp HB User
Re: flu

Quote:
Originally Posted by prncssxjx
hi. i was just wondering...is it possible to catch the flu after you've already had it? like is it once you've got it for the season thats it....or can you catch it multiple times?

my brother has the flu right now and i've been taking care of em...just barely starting to come down with a lil cough.
i was just wondering if anybody knew any good home remedies.
right now i'm just takin 2 of the halls defense vitamin c drops a day and trying to eat a lot of garlic. not really sure what else to do.
i've been trying to avoid getting sick since i could end up in the hospital if i catch it. but washing my hands and spraying disinfectant spray i guess isnt doin the trick.
if anybody has any ideas please let me know.

-Jackie
I was wondering the same thing...can you get it again. anyone?

Start taking some zinc...I hear thats better than echinesia and vitamin c.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2003, 09:02 AM   #3

JenBrooke123 HB User

I think you can get it again, if your closely in contact with that person. but I am not sure. Most of the time when you get sick again it could be the result of a different type of flu. but I am only guessing, interesting question.

Old 12-02-2003, 09:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

There are over a hundred different flu viruses because they are constantly mutating. But, I understand that if you have one flu virus, your body will develop antibodies against it and you probably won't get it again. But, if you are "compromised" you could get it again, but in a milder form -- unless you get it's mutated form...

Considering that we are exposed to so many people on a daily basis...people travel all over the world, and within hours we can be exposed to viruses from who knows where.

I think it's best to keep our immune systems in as healthy a state as possible, was our hands often, keep them out of our eyes, nose and mouth (sites for transmittion), lessen our stress (not so easy sometimes) and get lots of sleep.

Keep healthy this season.
Best to you all,
quincy

Old 12-04-2003, 02:10 PM   #5
(female)

BigMomma24 HB User

For anyone that's interested, I'd like to state that I had the flu four times last year, and I'm already on my second bout with a different strain this year. I, like you, thought it couldn't be possible to get the flu again and again... and in my case, AGAIN!!!

But, my doctor explained that it IS possible, especially for someone like me, who has a low immune system and works with children, who carry around MILLIONS of germs on a daily basis.

I am sick right this very minute, with a hacking cough, sore muscles, aches and pains, throbbing in my head... It can be miserable. And it just seems to keep coming back after a few months... If anyone can tell me why that keeps happening to my poor body, I'd greatly appreciate it. PLus, I wash my hands a trillion times a day (so much that they crack and bleed) and I still don't know why I keep getting sick!

Old 12-04-2003, 10:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMomma24
For anyone that's interested, I'd like to state that I had the flu four times last year, and I'm already on my second bout with a different strain this year. I, like you, thought it couldn't be possible to get the flu again and again... and in my case, AGAIN!!!

But, my doctor explained that it IS possible, especially for someone like me, who has a low immune system and works with children, who carry around MILLIONS of germs on a daily basis.

I am sick right this very minute, with a hacking cough, sore muscles, aches and pains, throbbing in my head... It can be miserable. And it just seems to keep coming back after a few months... If anyone can tell me why that keeps happening to my poor body, I'd greatly appreciate it. PLus, I wash my hands a trillion times a day (so much that they crack and bleed) and I still don't know why I keep getting sick!
For one thing you work with kids(leading transmitters)and second alot of these viruses are airborne anyway so wash all you want cuz you're gonna breath it! With a low immune system(I have a autoimmune disease also)it just makes us more susceptable. But if I were you I'd find another job not working with kids cuz this is just how it is with them. If that is an option that is, if you love your work in spite of this all you can do is keep supplementing yourself with antioxidants.

Closed Thread