It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2003, 10:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Deadly Flu

Anyone else getting freaked out about the flu this year? Seems it is killing more people especially children and wondering why so bad this year. i did get the shot not that it is going to do me any good from what I hear. I have mild asthma(never used an inhaler) and have been fighting a chest type cold on and off for over a month, went away for a couple weeks and now it is back. Feels like there is sand in my bronchial tubes, not sick, have energy but the throat and chest irritated, could I have a mild strain of this bug? Just seems scary out there this season, want to hide in my home and not come out or let anyone come in. Unfortunately my daughter and her family live with us and they have a 7yr old and a 18mo old. Just wondering if I am the only one paranoid about it this year, first time I ever got the shot or was concerned about it.

Old 12-04-2003, 11:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Deadly Flu

Hi NancyH,

I think that you should go to the doctor to get your chest problem dealt with. You may have bronchitis, which should be cleared up with antibiotics. I was on zithromax for a chest cold gone awry 2 years ago, and it worked great. I'm just getting over a sinus/larynx infection with Clavulin. I'm feeling tons better.

You might also ask your doctor about a prescription for a preventative like corticosteroid or other to be taken to keep the inflammation down and to prevent scarring from chest infection incase your asthma will flare during this.

Apparently the A Fugian flu is a mutation of the Panama Flu..which is immunised against this year. It will give you some protection from it, but it's possible to get it....or one of the other hundred flu viruses floating around.

I have asthma also, and use a preventer and recsue inhaler when needed. With this past cold, I doubled the preventer, and am now starting to decrease because my asthma is doing incredibly well. I'm happy about that.

I do hope you get it looked at, especially since you have youngsters in your midst. I don't think you're the only one who's paranoid. There's so much that we are exposed to on a daily basis -- if we ONLY KNEW more! Ah, but the old saying may be true....ignorance is bliss.

Do take care, get well soon.
quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2003, 08:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy
Hi NancyH,

I think that you should go to the doctor to get your chest problem dealt with. You may have bronchitis, which should be cleared up with antibiotics. I was on zithromax for a chest cold gone awry 2 years ago, and it worked great. I'm just getting over a sinus/larynx infection with Clavulin. I'm feeling tons better.

You might also ask your doctor about a prescription for a preventative like corticosteroid or other to be taken to keep the inflammation down and to prevent scarring from chest infection incase your asthma will flare during this.

Apparently the A Fugian flu is a mutation of the Panama Flu..which is immunised against this year. It will give you some protection from it, but it's possible to get it....or one of the other hundred flu viruses floating around.

I have asthma also, and use a preventer and recsue inhaler when needed. With this past cold, I doubled the preventer, and am now starting to decrease because my asthma is doing incredibly well. I'm happy about that.

I do hope you get it looked at, especially since you have youngsters in your midst. I don't think you're the only one who's paranoid. There's so much that we are exposed to on a daily basis -- if we ONLY KNEW more! Ah, but the old saying may be true....ignorance is bliss.

Do take care, get well soon.
quincy

thanks, today it is gone, tomorrow it will be back I'm sure. Dr said my sinus drainage is a contributing factor. As my lungs were clear of congestion. And you are right, ignorance can be bliss! I just wish I wasn't so nosy and need to read about everything.

Old 12-06-2003, 08:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl05 HB User

Hi Nancy, It's wierd!! I have also been so paranoid. I have 4 children ages 6-12. Only my son has had the shot. I still have to bring my other 3 in to get it.
I have been so paranoid, I even thought about keeping my kids home from school.(lol) As far as your chest, I had 2 colds in the last month. The last one finally went away, now I'm sick again, this time it's in my chest. I get chest pain so bad that it hurts to breathe. I also have phlem that is rust colored. I also have a really bad cough. Hopefully it will end really soon. I usually get bronchotis(msp) once a year. It is that time of the year. Well I just wanted you to know, you aren't the only one worried about the flu. Take care!!
Becky

Old 12-06-2003, 06:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota HB User

Yeah it's a bit worrisome....we've had I believe 8 children pass away from the flu and complications of the flu.....My mother and I are just now trying to get OVER the flu that hit us last weekend.

What's even worse is I was watching the news the other night and they were saying that they were expecting roughly around 60,000 to die from the flu and complications this year......they went on to say that their expecting a pandemic within 10 years which could kill several million.

Talk about scary stuff!

Old 12-09-2003, 08:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl05 HB User

Hi Guys!! When I last posted, I was joking saying I thought about letting my kids stay home from school right? Well I had to go pick my oldest up from school yesterday because she was sick. I think she may have the flu!! I'm taking her to the doctor tomorrow morning. The nurse told me today when I called to make the appointment that the flu is going around and alot of kids have been coming in with the flu and they are not out of the shots. I will ask them about the flu mist. Has anyone tried that yet? Well I'll write back tomorrow and let you know what she has.
Becky

Old 12-10-2003, 08:24 AM   #7

mr. helpme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Yeah it's a bit worrisome....we've had I believe 8 children pass away from the flu and complications of the flu.....My mother and I are just now trying to get OVER the flu that hit us last weekend.

What's even worse is I was watching the news the other night and they were saying that they were expecting roughly around 60,000 to die from the flu and complications this year......they went on to say that their expecting a pandemic within 10 years which could kill several million.

Talk about scary stuff!

just wanted to say thanx for the post dakota way to make everyone even more worried. i am a hypocondriac with anxiety and i think i just got worse lol....i hate this world and all the problems (not suicidal talk) why cant scientist just stop trying to make mopney on these vaccines and just give it and find it...seriously donate dont complicate

Old 12-10-2003, 11:05 AM   #8
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

Just so you know the flu mist is a live virus.

Old 12-10-2003, 11:53 AM   #9
(female)

mome22 HB User

So I am not the only worried person! I have 2 kids age 12 and 6. My 12 yo has asthma and was sent home today sick. Trying to get an appointment is impossible, they say we will call you in the morning and see if we can fit her in. UGH! My 6 yo has asthma and an immune deficiency. I am worried sick that he will get the flu in school. He hasnt been able to get his vaccine yet due to a sinus infection, strep throat, and now possible mono. As one infection clears another starts up. He usually gets pneumonia from October to April. He is scheduled to go to the doc and get his vaccine next week. Hopefully hes healthy!

Old 12-10-2003, 12:36 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl05 HB User

Hi mome22, I just got back from taking my daughter to the doctor, good news is, it's not the flu, bad news is, she has strep throat. She is also 12. My youngest is 6 and she has asthma. They are trying to get more flu shots but my youngest can't get the flu mist because of her asthma. I have 2 other children 11 and 9. They gave my 12 y/o a antibiotic shot and also an oral antibiotic because she has wheezing and they are worried about it turning into walking pnemonia (msp).

The doctor said everyone is out of the flu shots here. I just pray my youngest doesn't get it.
Becky

Closed Thread