It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2003, 03:32 AM   #1

RichMan HB User
Is it really the FLU?

Many of the posts I've read so far seem to have something in common, and that is; am I suffering from the flu, based on my symptoms? A few years back, I asked myself this question as well, and I remember this, because it was Christmas Eve. What a time to get sick!

I too thought I had the flu. Aches, pain, shivering, fever; all the classic symptoms of flu, right? I went to the E.R. I walked in, had my vitals taken, and I was running a 103.6F temperature. That was the first of a number of temperature takings I went through. The one that got me admitted for two days,was a reading that shot up to 105F!

As it turned out, what I thought was a pretty bad flu, was actually a really nasty kidney infection. I'm glad I saw the people at the E.R., otherwise I probably would have done some serious damage to my kidneys had I not been seen, started on antibiotics and treated in the hospital.

Over the years I've come to realize that a number of conditions can feel like and mimic the flu, and now if I don't know for certain, I go and get checked out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2003, 02:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User
Re: Is it really the FLU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMan
Many of the posts I've read so far seem to have something in common, and that is; am I suffering from the flu, based on my symptoms? A few years back, I asked myself this question as well, and I remember this, because it was Christmas Eve. What a time to get sick!

I too thought I had the flu. Aches, pain, shivering, fever; all the classic symptoms of flu, right? I went to the E.R. I walked in, had my vitals taken, and I was running a 103.6F temperature. That was the first of a number of temperature takings I went through. The one that got me admitted for two days,was a reading that shot up to 105F!

As it turned out, what I thought was a pretty bad flu, was actually a really nasty kidney infection. I'm glad I saw the people at the E.R., otherwise I probably would have done some serious damage to my kidneys had I not been seen, started on antibiotics and treated in the hospital.

Over the years I've come to realize that a number of conditions can feel like and mimic the flu, and now if I don't know for certain, I go and get checked out.

you not only had a uti, you could have had a septicemia

bruce

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread