It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2003, 01:41 PM   #1
(female)

Tenacious HB User
Question What if you have a cold (or are sick) when your Flu shots are scheduled??

We are a family of 7, my youngest is a 4 month old daughter, I called the Dept of Health about Flu shots.....I was told BECAUSE she is under 6 months (& cannot receive the Flu shot & considered high risk because of her young age) that the rest of us SHOULD get the shot - mostly to protect her and ourselves of coarse - beings that this year is the worst Flu strain they have seen in 30 yrs, and even healthy children are dying due to complications. This is very scary! I realize it is NOT the same strain as I watch all the news on this, but they are also saying it is similar and can still protect more than "not getting the shot". I feel this could be the differnece between life of death to a small minority anyway, so I am for getting it. But a couple of my children have the sniffles, one threw up last night (and I know this is NOT Influenza, more a gastrointestinal virus of some sort), we are scheduled to get these shots in 4 days. DOES anyone know if it is dangerous to receive a Flu shot if you already have some virus lingering in your body at that time??? I have been trying to find the answer for this every where on the net, but have had no luck. And 3 of my children will have to get the "SPLIT shot" as they are younger than 9 yrs (and this is their 1st flu shot), I guess if they are somewhat sick , getting just half of it shouldnt' hurt, what do you think? Anybody ever got the shot when they were ALREADY sick?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2003, 06:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota HB User
Re: What if you have a cold (or are sick) when your Flu shots are scheduled??

Hmmm to be honest I don't know. But I would definately call and check with your doctor before they get it.

Old 12-07-2003, 05:41 AM   #3
(female)

Tenacious HB User

Well, so far no one is sick and it is 2 days away. I think, I hope we will make it. I'm sure they will tell me at the Dept of Health if they are sick , it will have to be postponed. Good enough. I just wonder if it is postponed, we may not be able to get it at all - since the shots are runnning low everywhere. I guess that is my fear. And then I wonder if they will save the 2nd dose (split for the kids) or just use what they have to "first come first serve basis" . Maybe 3 of my kids won't even be able to get the 2nd split shot in Jan. - those might all be used up too! I guess I shall see how this works. Thanks !

Old 12-09-2003, 06:06 AM   #4

strwberryblnd67 HB User

Well i ran into the same problem i drove 2 hrs in a snow storm a drive which should have only taken me 20 min,,, and my 6 yr old recieves her first part of her flu shot,,, only for them to say oh no we wont have any left for her 2nd part i was so mad i could have screamed,,,, i'm scared to death kids dying because of this flu WHY???? is there something we can do to protect our kids ,,,,god bless

Old 12-09-2003, 07:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by strwberryblnd67
Well i ran into the same problem i drove 2 hrs in a snow storm a drive which should have only taken me 20 min,,, and my 6 yr old recieves her first part of her flu shot,,, only for them to say oh no we wont have any left for her 2nd part i was so mad i could have screamed,,,, i'm scared to death kids dying because of this flu WHY???? is there something we can do to protect our kids ,,,,god bless

If this any help, your children just getting one of two shots should have partial immunity to the flu virus, and, if one gets the flu, the child might not be as sick. The problem is chidren do not have their immunity fully developed.

I heard on the news that our government is buying more vaccine, maybe Canada

Washing hands and covering sneezes can help the flu from being spread in a family, but it is hard to enforce.

Bruce

Old 12-09-2003, 06:22 PM   #6
Veteran

mjmaciver HB User

I know that it's okay to get the shot if u already have the flu, it won't help fight it because it takes about 2 weeks to actually kick in but it will help prevent further complications if the symptoms persist, as for if you have another virus in your system, perhaps you should call your local health unit and and get exact information Hope this helps

Closed Thread

« help! | Tamiflu »