HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Colds & Flu (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/colds-flu/)
-   -   The FLU! ahhhh! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/colds-flu/132228-flu-ahhhh.html)

Jeny206 12-05-2003 04:56 PM

The FLU! ahhhh!

I just got over what Im pretty sure was the flu. It has been going around and I've most certainly been exposed to it. I'm finally feeling better today after a nice 6 days down with fever, etc. Oh and by the way, I did get a flu shot about three weeks before. Anyway, now that im feeling better, there is something else going on. I have an incredible discomfort in my chest/lungs, Im short of breath, and have had a productive cough since the first day I became sick. I do have mild asthma and unfortunatly my inhaler hasn't been helping me. I was just wondering if anyone else could help offer advice on whether this is normal, a complication from the flu, or anything else really. :confused: Thanks.

~Jen :bouncing:

Misty800 12-05-2003 07:55 PM

Re: The FLU! ahhhh!

Pneumonia can be a result of the flu. Best to get it checked out since your chest is giving you so much trouble.

NancyH 12-05-2003 08:10 PM

[QUOTE=Jeny206]I just got over what Im pretty sure was the flu. It has been going around and I've most certainly been exposed to it. I'm finally feeling better today after a nice 6 days down with fever, etc. Oh and by the way, I did get a flu shot about three weeks before. Anyway, now that im feeling better, there is something else going on. I have an incredible discomfort in my chest/lungs, Im short of breath, and have had a productive cough since the first day I became sick. I do have mild asthma and unfortunatly my inhaler hasn't been helping me. I was just wondering if anyone else could help offer advice on whether this is normal, a complication from the flu, or anything else really. :confused: Thanks.

~Jen :bouncing:[/QUOTE]

Since the flu itself doesn't actually kill you it is the complications that can result is what makes the flu deadly. Pneumonia is the deadliest complication so have it checked out so you can get on antibiotics if needed. Also, since Ihave mild asthma also, it could have flared up your asthma as well but a Dr should decide that simply because if it is pneumonia you need antibiotics real fast.

Jeny206 12-06-2003 08:03 AM

Thanks for the quick replies, im going to schedule an appointment with my doctor first thing on monday if i still feel this way.

dagmarharris 12-07-2003 11:08 PM

[QUOTE=Jeny206]Thanks for the quick replies, im going to schedule an appointment with my doctor first thing on monday if i still feel this way.[/QUOTE]

HI I am new here. I am Dagmar. I also have pretty much what you describe. I joined this site because I am concerned about my flu/cough. I have had the lingering cough for a month! So two weeks ago the dr. wouldn't give me antibiotics. My flem is clear and my lungs clear. Now this weekend I got a fever on Friday and stuffy all over again. I am going to the dr. and hope I will get antibiotics. Can you describe to me if your flem is clear? I especially cough when I exhale. Is this also with you? And laughing even makes me cough!!
Hope to hear if your story is similar, I have no fever yesterday or today. But cough is the same.
dagmar harris
p.s. can you describe the shortness of breath. I don't have that...but what is it like? Do you cough more when you lie down?

amphigory 12-08-2003 01:06 PM

If your problem is indeed flu-related, your doctor is absolutely right to not give you antibiotics. The flu is caused by a virus, and antibiotics are not effective against viruses.

Jeny206 12-08-2003 04:06 PM

[QUOTE=dagmarharris]HI I am new here. I am Dagmar. I also have pretty much what you describe. I joined this site because I am concerned about my flu/cough. I have had the lingering cough for a month! So two weeks ago the dr. wouldn't give me antibiotics. My flem is clear and my lungs clear. Now this weekend I got a fever on Friday and stuffy all over again. I am going to the dr. and hope I will get antibiotics. Can you describe to me if your flem is clear? I especially cough when I exhale. Is this also with you? And laughing even makes me cough!!
Hope to hear if your story is similar, I have no fever yesterday or today. But cough is the same.
dagmar harris
p.s. can you describe the shortness of breath. I don't have that...but what is it like? Do you cough more when you lie down?[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the grossness, but no, my flem has a yellowish tint and tends to be rather thick. If I take a deep breath I will start coughing and yeah, laughing also brings on the cough. The shortness of breath is like a feeling that you arent getting enough air when you are breathing in. It can get sort of frustrating but it seems like its getting better. And yes, it seems like I need to cough more when I am lying down or in a resting position. Hope this helped and hope you feel better.

~Jen

becky1954 12-08-2003 05:59 PM

I've been having that for the last month only the phlem is clear. The first time I went to the doc he said I had a sinus infection and bronchitis. He gave me Leviquin and told me to use Robitussin DM. Two weeks later I started getting so out of breath.I went back and he called it reactive airway disease and sent me to a cardiologist just to make sure it wasn't my heart. It isn't but I am still short of breath.

dagmarharris 12-08-2003 08:22 PM

HI all,
I went to the dr.'s and it is just a virus. Oh well, no antibiotics. I am relieved in a way. Thanks for reading my post. I was given a cough syrup with codeine for night. I am not sure I want to take it. I will see how I sleep tonite.
dagmar

NancyH 12-08-2003 09:42 PM

[QUOTE=dagmarharris]HI all,
I went to the dr.'s and it is just a virus. Oh well, no antibiotics. I am relieved in a way. Thanks for reading my post. I was given a cough syrup with codeine for night. I am not sure I want to take it. I will see how I sleep tonite.
dagmar[/QUOTE]

If you were given codiene with Promethazine(fenergran)then you will like it, it knocks me right off to sleep, tho I do get a rather dry mouth in the morning I don't care cuz it also gives me a good nights sleep.

dagmarharris 12-10-2003 12:06 AM

HI, that's the stuff all right. Fenergran with codeine.... But I didn't fill the perscription. I bought over the counter Vick's nyquil, instead. I just took it. I figured I would see if this less strong cough syrup would help. I do sleep, it is just that I cough when I lie down, for awhile, and wake up coughing around 5:00 am, and then go back to sleep, again. I will tell you how this Vick's Nyquil works...first.
I also notice if I start to laugh, just in a conversation I begin to cough alot. What is this about? I didn't mention it to my dr. But he was mostly just interested if my lungs were clear....and then since they were, he said it is just a virus.
But hey I haven't gone to work....cause I don't want to have a coughing fit!!! This virus has been with my since Nov. 11!!
Is this the same for others....does it ever leave?
Thanks,
dagmar

pd50 12-10-2003 12:37 PM

Docs usually will give antibiotics to those prone to bronchitis or to those with Asthma as a preventive. Even though the flu is a virus, it is very easy for those with these conditions to end up with a secondary bacterial infection.

dagmarharris 12-10-2003 07:12 PM

[QUOTE=pd50]Docs usually will give antibiotics to those prone to bronchitis or to those with Asthma as a preventive. Even though the flu is a virus, it is very easy for those with these conditions to end up with a secondary bacterial infection.[/QUOTE]

I am not prone to bronchitis. I never had it before. My mom would get it..but I am not that type.
I did find out today that of all the four people I work with in the same classroom, we are all out sick!
I seem to have this for the longest.
:bouncing:
I guess what upset me tonight is I was talking to a friend on the phone...and I had a coughing fit. I had to get off the phone...put the shower on....slap the mentoletum on the chest...and then down some cough syrup. I have tried to research coughing fits...on the internet.. I guess it is very scary for me. It feels like you can't breath, and you cough so hard you almost throw up. Then all you want is to get it to stop. It starts with a tickle....and goes nuts!!!
I would be so embarassed if this happen in public!!! Any suggestions that others do to deal with this?
~dagmar

NancyH 12-10-2003 08:12 PM

[QUOTE=dagmarharris]I am not prone to bronchitis. I never had it before. My mom would get it..but I am not that type.
I did find out today that of all the four people I work with in the same classroom, we are all out sick!
I seem to have this for the longest.
:bouncing:
I guess what upset me tonight is I was talking to a friend on the phone...and I had a coughing fit. I had to get off the phone...put the shower on....slap the mentoletum on the chest...and then down some cough syrup. I have tried to research coughing fits...on the internet.. I guess it is very scary for me. It feels like you can't breath, and you cough so hard you almost throw up. Then all you want is to get it to stop. It starts with a tickle....and goes nuts!!!
I would be so embarassed if this happen in public!!! Any suggestions that others do to deal with this?
~dagmar[/QUOTE]

I've never tried nyquil and lots of people swear by it, let me know how it works, at least you have the prescription in case it doesn't do it for you. I know with the codiene, I don't wake up til morning and I'm one of these people who wake up several times a night anyway. Sometimes I take it even if I have no cold etc just to get a good nights sleep.

dagmarharris 12-11-2003 03:29 PM

My continuing quest to heal the cough!

[QUOTE=NancyH]I've never tried nyquil and lots of people swear by it, let me know how it works, at least you have the prescription in case it doesn't do it for you. I know with the codiene, I don't wake up til morning and I'm one of these people who wake up several times a night anyway. Sometimes I take it even if I have no cold etc just to get a good nights sleep.[/QUOTE]

:wave: Nancy thanks for answering.
I tried to Nyquil two nights in a row. It does work. I wake up once...but that is okay. I cough alittle, and then go back to sleep. I like that it puts you right to sleep. I also "slept in" with it today till 10:30. This is also good as I am off work this week to get better.
I guess the codeine sounded strong. I think it is better to use something that isn't as strong if it works? You agree?
So I also slept this afternoon, for the first time. I want to rest. coughing so much has made me not be able to relax. Now with the nyquil I think it dried me out alittle of the phlem..so I could rest and them fall asleep. I think it takes so many different tries of things. I have taken a chinese medicine since Saturday called Yin Chiao....and them another herb for respiratory...fenurgreek
I am going to get more lemon for hot lemon and honey. That soothes, too.
Are you feeling good these days, I hope?
~dagmar