It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2003, 10:30 AM   #1

a12092003 HB User
Question Ear completely stopped up

After making a surprizingly good stand against the usual 7-day cold last week, I am now battling a completely stopped up right ear. I can't pop it, no matter how hard I try. It feels like it is swelling and swelling like a balloon - without hurting. It's so annoying. I have tried lots of Sudafed for decongestion and nasal spray, I am trying guaifenesin as well. I have even tried inhaling Vick's Vaporrub to clear it out. Nothing seems to work. How can I get rid of this?

Last edited by a12092003; 12-09-2003 at 10:31 AM.

Old 12-10-2003, 01:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Ear completely stopped up

maybe you could try a nasal lavage? Use a half teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water. Hold one nostril closed and suck in the water then lean your head in the direction of that ear. It'll come down the back of your throat, and you'll have to kind of spit it out and snork it out. Rather messy, but once you get the hang of it...it does seem to clear out my eustachian tubes.

Another way is to use a baby bulb syringe. Suck up the water into the syringe, lean the head to the right and squirt it into the left nostril. Do the opposite with your head leaning to the left. After you've done it a few times, blow your nose (GENTLY)....hopefully, it'll help.

You could also have some wax build-up in there. What about that stuff that dissolves it...another thing worth a try.

Let us know if something helps.

Get better soon.
quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2003, 09:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User

i heard this on a morning tv show, and it was described by an md. make a heavy suspension of salt water.

microwave for about two minutes.

pour the warm, heavy suspension into a sock.

squeeze out the excess water.

put another sock over the first one.

hold against your ear. the heat and the salt will draw out the congestion, and the bacteria can not survive in the salt.

bruce

Old 12-10-2003, 09:40 AM   #4
(female)

mnemosyne HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by a12092003
After making a surprizingly good stand against the usual 7-day cold last week, I am now battling a completely stopped up right ear. I can't pop it, no matter how hard I try. It feels like it is swelling and swelling like a balloon - without hurting. It's so annoying. I have tried lots of Sudafed for decongestion and nasal spray, I am trying guaifenesin as well. I have even tried inhaling Vick's Vaporrub to clear it out. Nothing seems to work. How can I get rid of this?

Ohhh! I have an idea: go to your doctor. I had the same problem: last week, I had a horrible, horrible cold. Then, both ears completely stopped up. It seemed like it was getting better, until I woke up one morning with horrible pain in my right ear. I had outter and middle ear infections secondary to the cold, and my doctor prescribed antibiotics and steroid ear drops. I'm still having problems with ear congestion, but it seems to've gotten much better in just a few days. Believe me - it's absolutely worth seeing your doctor about this! It was a real relief.

Old 12-10-2003, 02:27 PM   #5

pd50 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemosyne
Ohhh! I have an idea: go to your doctor. I had the same problem: last week, I had a horrible, horrible cold. Then, both ears completely stopped up. It seemed like it was getting better, until I woke up one morning with horrible pain in my right ear. I had outter and middle ear infections secondary to the cold, and my doctor prescribed antibiotics and steroid ear drops. I'm still having problems with ear congestion, but it seems to've gotten much better in just a few days. Believe me - it's absolutely worth seeing your doctor about this! It was a real relief.
Sounds like you need meds. from the Doc. Most likely you got a secondary bacterial infection in the ear.

Closed Thread