It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2003, 09:01 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User
Lets save the children

i have been monitoring cnn most of the day, and now realize their isn't enough flu vaccine to inoculate everyone. their is a disturbing trend where the children are losing their life, and may not be able to get the vaccine soon enouh to enhance their immunity,

my proposal isn't perfect, but it could save a child's life. if you are in your 20s, 30s, 40s or 50s, have no heart disease, no diabetes, immuno comprozed and otherwise healthy, you are not likely to die, don't take the vaccine and let the docs give the shot to a child. anyone could shoot holes through this idea, but their is nothing more devastating the a mother that loses her child.

the vaccine covers three strains, with the most recent strain not included in the vaccine. apparently this flu progresses rapidly in children and may start with only a sniffle.

mothers, if your child shows any respiratory symptoms, don' wait, see your doctor. if your doctor does not have the vaccine call every doctor, clinic or hospital until you find the vaccine.

their is a drug resistent staph that it has been said is associated with the flu. it is a potent pathogen and may have caused the deaths of some of the children.

bruce

Old 12-10-2003, 11:57 AM   #2
(female)

mome22 HB User
Re: Lets save the children

Bruce I am all with you on that. But I heard there are plenty of doses of flumist left! My son personally cannot have that due to an immune deficiency. I feel that if people can have that one they should so they can save the left over of the shots for the kids and chronically ill. I am a nervous wreck because my son hasnt had the vaccine yet due to other illness but I am hoping he can have his by next week!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2003, 12:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mome22
Bruce I am all with you on that. But I heard there are plenty of doses of flumist left! My son personally cannot have that due to an immune deficiency. I feel that if people can have that one they should so they can save the left over of the shots for the kids and chronically ill. I am a nervous wreck because my son hasnt had the vaccine yet due to other illness but I am hoping he can have his by next week!
the latest i have heard about flu mist is it is available, contains a live virus, not a bad thing, and you have to pay for it, sounds reasonable to me. isn't a child's life worth 20$?

ps hope you get that shot.

bruce

Old 12-10-2003, 12:58 PM   #4
(female)

mome22 HB User

Bruce,
I cant get the flumist due to my sons condition since it is the live virus. I also feel a childs life is priceless and I would be willing to pay whatever for the mist but cant get it anyway. I was trying to locate the flu vaccine but there isnt any left in the county I live in. I am a stay at home mom so basically the only way I will get it is if my kids do. I am crossing my fingers here

Last edited by mome22; 12-10-2003 at 12:59 PM.

Old 12-10-2003, 12:58 PM   #5

mamu710 HB User

Bruce and mome22
I have waited and now can't find the shot. My old dr told me not to get it because a an egg sensitivity but my new dr say's yes, get it. I didn't have an actual allergic reaction and since I have an immune deficiency then I shoul get it. Now they are all out and not sure when or if they'll get more. I'm sorry now that i waited. With all the talk on the news it sure is making me nervous!
Michele

Old 12-10-2003, 01:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamu710
Bruce and mome22
I have waited and now can't find the shot. My old dr told me not to get it because a an egg sensitivity but my new dr say's yes, get it. I didn't have an actual allergic reaction and since I have an immune deficiency then I shoul get it. Now they are all out and not sure when or if they'll get more. I'm sorry now that i waited. With all the talk on the news it sure is making me nervous!
Michele

call either your local healh department or the state board of health. thestate board should have the latest information from the cdc. don't give up. if you are not allergic to eggs, you need the vaccine

bruce

Old 12-10-2003, 02:15 PM   #7

mamu710 HB User

Great idea Bruce. Thanks alot. I didn't think of that.
Michele

Old 12-10-2003, 03:13 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mome22
Bruce,
I cant get the flumist due to my sons condition since it is the live virus. I also feel a childs life is priceless and I would be willing to pay whatever for the mist but cant get it anyway. I was trying to locate the flu vaccine but there isnt any left in the county I live in. I am a stay at home mom so basically the only way I will get it is if my kids do. I am crossing my fingers here

Call the state board of health. they work closely with the cdc and should give you the latest information on where to find the vaccine. if it is the last resort call the cdc in atlanta. it might take awhile to find the right department, but that is their main function. don;t give up if you get a busy signal.

The cdc should be able to tell you where their is a source for the vaccine anywhere in the country. they also have a website. i think they are listed under government.

bruce

Old 12-10-2003, 03:16 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamu710
Bruce and mome22
Michele
mamu, check out my last post here

bruce

Old 12-10-2003, 05:18 PM   #10
(female)

mome22 HB User

Thanks Bruce I will do that! Mamu- I know you need that shot! We have talked alot on the immune disorders board. Let me know if you find it!

Old 12-11-2003, 05:59 AM   #11

mamu710 HB User

Well... I heard an ad on the radio that the VNA Visiting Nurse Association are going to several sites to administer the shot. The only problem with that is finding one near me. I think I have one I just have to hope they don't run out befor I get there. I have a couple people out there searching though. I'll keep you posted and I'll look into the cdc like Bruce suggested. Thanks,
Michele

Old 12-11-2003, 08:37 AM   #12
(female)

mome22 HB User

Well I just got back from the doctor with my daughter. They are all out of the flu vaccine because the CDC called them yesterday afternoon and took what was left! My daughter is without the flu shot for now. I am going to ask my sons pulmonary doc if they could possibly spare one for my daughter also. The way I see it is if my daughter gets the flu it will bring up my sons chances of getting it also,she does have asthma and has been sick alot lately(has an MRI tomorrow to r/o mass in her head)I just hope the CDC didnt take what my sons doc's had left. My kids can NOT have the flumist due to my sons immune deficiency. Wow I never have seen it this bad.

Old 12-11-2003, 12:50 PM   #13

mamu710 HB User

Well, I called the health dept. and they are giving the shot to a limited no. of people. I don't fit the criteria. They did say to keep checking because that may change.
Also, called the site that is supposed to be giving shots and they have 100 and have had 1000 inquiries already! I can't believe this!
Well, still have a couple ideas so I'll keep trying!
Michele

Old 12-11-2003, 01:25 PM   #14
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User

i think i got my threads or topics mixed up. i repeated my self a few times.

Okay, i will try and list some sources of the vaccine. county health department, local hospitals, VNA, doctors offices, state board of health, cdc, out patient clinics.

The most susceptable age group are children between six months and 23 months, immunocomprised patients, patients with chronic lung disease and patients over 65, however, you can have my shot.

flu synptoms: early onset, temp over 101, muscle pain, and weakness.

bruce

Old 12-13-2003, 07:33 AM   #15

mamu710 HB User

Just wanted to say that I got my hands on a flu shot yesterday. I'm glad and hopefully that will work to keep me flu free! Thanks for the suggestions and help!

Closed Thread