It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2003, 09:08 AM   #1

Yuna HB User
Suffering from Pneumonia now

I think Im recovering from the flu but I went to the ER and they did an x ray and found out I have Pneumonia somewhere near the sides. They prescribed me antiobiotics about it and this is the second day. I've been takign tylenol to suppress the fever so is it normal if Im still getting the fever after 2 days of the medication? Also, I think Im sort of having labored breaths although its not that bad. Besides that, Im getting my light period and does that affect anything? This is so bad...cramps and pneumonia...I already missed a week of school....*sigh* Any suggestions as to when it will go away already?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2003, 12:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User
Re: Suffering from Pneumonia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuna
I think Im recovering from the flu but I went to the ER and they did an x ray and found out I have Pneumonia somewhere near the sides. They prescribed me antiobiotics about it and this is the second day. I've been takign tylenol to suppress the fever so is it normal if Im still getting the fever after 2 days of the medication? Also, I think Im sort of having labored breaths although its not that bad. Besides that, Im getting my light period and does that affect anything? This is so bad...cramps and pneumonia...I already missed a week of school....*sigh* Any suggestions as to when it will go away already?
just my opinion, but if you still have an elavated temp. and have pneumonia, you might belong in the hospital. trouble breathing is not a good thing, and is another indication that you need more treatment.

if you get any worse, see a doctor, because pneumonia could be fatal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2003, 03:16 AM   #3

amed HB User

Welcome to the pneumonia club!! I was just diagnosed with bacterial pneumonia today too. My fever lasted 4 long days, with shivers. Make sure you keep an eye on the fever - it gets dangerous anything above 102. Make sure you drink a lot of fluids, or you'll get even more ill. The labored breathing is part of it, but if you really can't breathe, go to ER. I find that a bowl of really hot canned chicken noodle soup helps - put your face right over the bowl while you're slurping. Also, if you have a humidifier, crank it up to 50%. Tea tree oil, a few drops into a saucepan of hot water and then throw a towel over your head and inhale. Also, take a bath, close all bathroom doors and the window, add 10 drops of tea tree to the bath water and sit in it for about 10 minutes.

I've tried all of the above personally, and they really help.

I hope you feel better soon. Take care.

Old 12-16-2003, 09:26 AM   #4

Yuna HB User

Thanks! Im feeling a little better I guess. I no longer need the tylenol to suppress my fever anymore but I still get occasional labor breaths right now...kinda hard to breathe. I dont have a humidifier but I am using an air purifier to kinda purify the air around me. Is that ok? Thanks for the tips. I did use a wet warm towel and inhaled into it. It was a little better.Maybe I'll get some chicken soup later. Well anyways, I dont think I can get the oil but I guess I can live without that. Right now, its the coughing thats been bothering me because I feel its really sensitive right now. If I sniff a weird odor, I start to cough and when I go outside in the cold, I start to cough like crazy-almost feels as if Im gonna throw up soon. Any suggestions to stop the coughing or kinda soothe it?

Thanks again guys!

Old 12-16-2003, 10:41 AM   #5

gobfuse HB User

I'm 38, and had pneumonia for the first time in my life this past October.

My temperature lasted for a week after I started on the antibiotics, although, after 3 - 4 days of taking them, the fever went down from 102 to like 99 to 100, and then further went down.

I had labored breathing too, and along with antiobiotics, my doctor gave me an inhaler with Albuterol in it, to take if I had trouble breathing.

My dr. told me that if you're young or not in any sort of higher risk group, that 90% of pneumonia cases can be treated at home by taking anti-biotics and resting.

Yes, pneumonia is a serious thing, and it will take a few weeks for you to feel completely better. My dr. scheduled a follow-up chest x-ray for me three weeks after the first chest x-ray, and by then, I was feeling a lot better, and the pneumonia had gone away.

Rest, take the WHOLE course of anti-biotics the doc gave you, and if your temperature doesn't go down in a couple days, I would see the dr. again. Of course, if you're worried, it never hurts to see him anytime.

Hope this helps - this was just my experience, but it does get better.

Good luck!

Julie

Old 12-16-2003, 07:52 PM   #6

amed HB User

Glad to hear you're feeling better. I'm still homebound and coughing my brains out. Not having any energy is such a drag. Oh well.

I wouldn't suggest going outside if you can help it. The cough is natural because your body is trying to get rid of all the crap that's stuck in your lungs. I heard that you really shouldn't take cough suppressants because you
WANT to cough all that junk up. I know it's uncomfortable, but the sooner your lungs clear, the sooner you'll be better.

Take care

Old 12-17-2003, 05:20 AM   #7

Yuna HB User

Thank you amed. I hope you feel better too. Im not taking any cough supressants and it really sucks but after coughing up all those junk, I do feel better. Thanks alot! Also, is your pulse going through the roof because mine is? I dont have a fever anymore but yet my heartbeat is going really fast as well as my pulse!

Old 12-17-2003, 10:37 AM   #8

riotgrl13 HB User

Quote:
Thank you amed. I hope you feel better too. Im not taking any cough supressants and it really sucks but after coughing up all those junk, I do feel better. Thanks alot! Also, is your pulse going through the roof because mine is? I dont have a fever anymore but yet my heartbeat is going really fast as well as my pulse!
What kind of antibiotics were you put on?

Old 12-17-2003, 03:39 PM   #9

Yuna HB User

Im on Zithromax and this other medicine for my pneumonia. Is that whats causing the pulsing heartbeat?

Old 12-17-2003, 04:33 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User

Quote:
Im on Zithromax and this other medicine for my pneumonia. Is that whats causing the pulsing heartbeat?
zithromax is in the same class of drugs as erythromycin, and tachycardia (rapid heart beat) has never been reported yet, however, tachycardia has been reported after using older antibiotics of this class.

Old 12-24-2003, 12:01 AM   #11

PinkBanana HB User

Blah well i'm not the only one I guess with pneumonia!
My pneumonia is complicated by my asthma so I have had a low fever on/off now for a week, trouble breathing/wheezing all the time(and I NEVER wheeze), and endless coughing.
I've been put on levaquin for 15 days, Robutissin AC(with codeine) for the coughing.
Trouble is, x-rays are not showing pneumonia, the only indicator we have is that I am responding to treatment!
It might be the most frustrating thing in the world to have! Can't sleep, and every single little thing throws me into a horrible coughing attack=(
I feel your pain! I think this is normal as it is a very serious infection of the lining of the lungs!

Old 12-24-2003, 07:56 PM   #12

jaynie HB User

Peppermint tea helps the cough a lot,,,,hot or cold!

good luck

Closed Thread