It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2003, 09:57 PM   #1

mrllns75 HB User
Question flu in children

I have three kids.......6 yo daughter.....4yo daughter and 2yo son. My 6yo got sick last wednesday with a fever of 104.5 so i took her to the dr. and they tested her for the flu and it was neg. , they said she just had a virus. So i brought her home, and by 7:00 that nite, her fever had went up to 105 and i got it down with tylenol/motrin alternating it. I took her back to the dr. Thursday and they again tested her for the flu (they said you have to run a fever for 24 hours before it will show up) and told me to call back the next morning for the results. The nurse i talked to again said it was negative. She constantly ran a fever from wed. to sat. and had all the symptoms of the flu. Sat. morning, my other two children woke up sick. So we went back to the dr. that's when i found out her second flu test was positive, and the nurse had given me the results of the wrong test(they had also checked her for strep and it was neg.). So he treated my youngest 2 with flumadine and because it had been more than 48 hours, my 6yo couldn't get the medicine. And the youngest two were better the next day.

Here it is 6 days later, going on 7 and she's still sick. She has ran a fever between 102 and 105.5 for the past 6 days and hasn't been able to do anything, she's been in the bed the majority of the time, except for our visits to the dr. The dr. don't seem to worry about it, but with all the deaths that have happened because of the flu, is scaring me.

Does anyone know if this is normal for the fever to persist this long? and even with the tylenol/motrin, the fever hasn't been below 101 the whole time. Also do you have any idea how long this flu is lasting?

Last edited by mrllns75; 12-15-2003 at 09:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2003, 03:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User
Re: flu in children

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrllns75
I have three kids.......6 yo daughter.....4yo daughter and 2yo son. My 6yo got sick last wednesday with a fever of 104.5 so i took her to the dr. and they tested her for the flu and it was neg. , they said she just had a virus. So i brought her home, and by 7:00 that nite, her fever had went up to 105 and i got it down with tylenol/motrin alternating it. I took her back to the dr. Thursday and they again tested her for the flu (they said you have to run a fever for 24 hours before it will show up) and told me to call back the next morning for the results. The nurse i talked to again said it was negative. She constantly ran a fever from wed. to sat. and had all the symptoms of the flu. Sat. morning, my other two children woke up sick. So we went back to the dr. that's when i found out her second flu test was positive, and the nurse had given me the results of the wrong test(they had also checked her for strep and it was neg.). So he treated my youngest 2 with flumadine and because it had been more than 48 hours, my 6yo couldn't get the medicine. And the youngest two were better the next day.

Here it is 6 days later, going on 7 and she's still sick. She has ran a fever between 102 and 105.5 for the past 6 days and hasn't been able to do anything, she's been in the bed the majority of the time, except for our visits to the dr. The dr. don't seem to worry about it, but with all the deaths that have happened because of the flu, is scaring me.

Does anyone know if this is normal for the fever to persist this long? and even with the tylenol/motrin, the fever hasn't been below 101 the whole time. Also do you have any idea how long this flu is lasting?

Children spike higher temps then an adult. Some doctors say the time to call them is when the temp. is 101 or greater.

Keep trying to lower the temp or seeing your doctor.

Children from 6 months to 23 months old are at a higher risk of contracting the flu. (CDC guidelines)

bruce

Old 12-16-2003, 06:06 PM   #3

mrllns75 HB User

Naturalhealth.............thank you for the advice....i will definitely do some research on the homeopathic doctors. I have never heard of that until now and I am all for looking for new doctors. The pediatricians I am taking them to now, have gave me the run around and I am tired of dealing with them. They keep telling me to bring her back in 2 days if she's not better, all for them to do nothing.......which I know now there's nothing that can really be done for the flu. I took her back today and the dr told me basically the same thing about the tylenol/motrin as you did. He said to only give her tylenol if her fever got really high and the fever will fight off the virus. But the dr's before this one said to give her the tylenol and motrin......that's what I don't like about them, I have seen a different dr everytime and they all say something different. So I will be looking for a new dr. in my area. Again, thanks so much for your advice!!!!

BRUCE.........thank you for your input also. I have tried everything the dr. has said to do, and nothing has helped, so I guess it will just run it's course. At first they said it lasts 6 days and if my 6yo has a fever on day 7 to bring her back. So I did.......that was today, now they say it's lasting about 10 days. I have been to the dr. 5 times so far and they keep saying she'll be ok. I know they are probably right, but when so many kids have died from the flu this year, it scares me to death especially since it's lasted so long and her fever has gone up to 105.5. Thanks for your advice and if you get any new info, plz keep me posted......Thanks

Old 12-16-2003, 08:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Abbey32 HB User

I can understand your worry and concern. My son is 9 and had this flu for 10 days! And even after, he continues to cough a few times and minor sore throat. It's a nasty one. And yes...he had a fever too and Tylenol did not take it down at all. I took him to the ER. They gave him Motrin...said it is better than Tylenol. ?? He was checked for pneumonia which was negative. I took him home and nursed him on popcicles, chicken soup, ice water, and put some vapor rub all over his back and chest. It was a long 10 days because I was sick too!

If I were you, at any change in her illness, I would take her to the ER. Or even tomorrow, I would just go there...if you are covered by insurance because I know they are expensive!

Old 12-17-2003, 03:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User

i agree with Abbey. a temp of 105.5 is in the danger zone. don't take chances with your child's health. ER physicians are tuned in on what diseases are going around, so that gives them unique experience.

i probably cry wolf too much, but a child's health can chage rapidly. you have good reason to worry.

bruce

Closed Thread