It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2003, 08:46 AM   #1

ucf06 HB User
Post Having the flu....

Hi all, I have the flu and I have to say that this is the worst one ever! I wasn't able to sleep at all last night. I was feeling so chilly and suddenly so hot. My body was aching and my head was pounding. My ears and throat were aching too. So, I went straight to see my doctor this morning and he gave me a shot. He asked if I wanted the shot or the meds, and he said that the shot will cure my flu faster. I took the shot. He also gave me some antibiotics. Does anyone know what kind of shot he gave me? Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2003, 12:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Having the flu....

It was probably a booster shot of antibiotics to get into your system quickly and the oral meds for you to take for 7 - 10 days.

That happened to me 25 years ago when my husband and I travelled to Calgary (prime flu season in Calgary that year). I felt crappy just as we left there to come home thinking I was getting a cold. By 3:00 in the morning I had a very high fever and we had to go to the hospital in Swift Current. My fever was over 103 and I just wanted to die. I got 2 shots in the butt of antibiotics and oral meds for 10 days.

I slept all the next day at our motel and used gravol all the way home to winnipeg. I missed all the snowstorms (thankfully), but by the time we drove into our driveway, I was already feeling better. My biggest mistake was saying OK to Burger King. One bite of that burger, and my throat said Yuck, no way....I haven't been able to eat one to this day.

Anyway, that's my experience with the butt shots and meds. That's what the doc explained to me.

Get better soon,
quincy

Last edited by quincy; 12-19-2003 at 12:27 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2003, 05:10 PM   #3

ucf06 HB User

Quincy: Thanks for replying.

Today's my 4th day with the flu and I have to say I still feel very weak. I don't feel chilly anymore, but do have a runny nose and an aching body. I don't feel like eating either. I am so glad that I didn't have the flu during my final exam week! This is so horrible!

Old 12-21-2003, 11:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi,

Yep, I know it's a horrible thing to go through. But, it still has to run its course. Weakness is definitely what I remember. It almost seems that the chills one feels and the muscle aches are like having exercised to past the body's limits and exhaustion is what's left.

Take it easy on yourself and do take in a bit of food throughout the days to keep up your energy and feed your body. I like to have tomato soup (no milk) with lots of crackers when I'm feeling sick. Tomatoes are helpful to even out one's unbalanced electrolytes.

You'll feel better soon, but have to listen to your body when it needs to rest. Some flus can take ages for the body to fully recuperate.

I hope you did well on your exams.

quincy

Closed Thread