It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2003, 06:08 PM   #1
Inactive

isolated one HB User
Could this have been the flu?

Hello. I'm just getting over a strange bug with symptoms that seemed to match the flu, however they were very mild. I've had colds which have hit me much worse. The origin could have been last Saturday night when I went to a hockey game and raised my voice quite a bit with all the cheering, etc. The next couple of days, I had some irritation in my throat as I should have expected. I then noticed a very slight shortness of breath which only lasted a few hours, followed buy some sneezing. I then developed a dry cough with some mucus along with a low grade fever that peaked at 100. I was slightly fatigued at best. This lasted a couple of days and now I'm left with just a mild dry cough and drippy nose. I thought I'd also mention that I've been taking three immune boosting supplements - Cayenne, Vitamin C, and Garlic. I'm wonderng whether this was just a cold or possibly the flu with less severe symptoms because of what I've been taking.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2003, 12:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Could this have been the flu?

It's definitely hard to say, but it sounds like you're on your way to recovery. If you end up with green snot or cough up green phlegm, you're in need of medical intervention.

If you steam yourself nightly, it might help to keep the respiratory passages hydrated. If you're coughing for more than a few weeks, you may be displaying mild symptoms of asthma (either intrinsic from the cold or extrinsic from external allergies).

Interesting.....yesterday my husband and I were at a popular city shopping area and we wanted a bite to eat. Each person who would have been potentially serving us had a cold or some respiratory symptoms. YIKES!!! We passed on eating there.

The more you talk, yell, or cough, it will irritate the passages even more. Keeping the passages "quiet" does really help. If all fails, buy DM cough syrup so that you can at least get some sleep.

I hope you feel better soon.

quincy

Last edited by quincy; 12-19-2003 at 12:18 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2003, 01:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Abbey32 HB User

quincy-

What did you mean by coughing up green phlem you need to see a doc? My son and hubby had the flu a few weeks ago but continue to cough up green stuff maybe once a day but they are over the flu. Is this a concern here?

Old 12-19-2003, 01:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

There's probably a secondary infection in the lungs bronchial airways...but if it's only once a day and not everytime they cough I wouldn't be really concerned. If they were still having a fever and sound like they aren't improving and getting worse such as wheezing, really deep barky cough, rattling, pain in the chest...I would see a doctor.

If improvement is steady, they're obviously on the road to recovery. Make sure they get enough liquids to keep hydrated.

It's based on your defenition of recovery as to whether or not they should get it checked out.

Ah, the joys of sharing bugs!!
Get well soon,
quincy

Old 12-19-2003, 08:03 AM   #5
Inactive

isolated one HB User

Thanks for all the replies! As far as the "green" stuff goes, I've often had it with cold/flu bugs but never developed any serious problems or needed medical attention. Also, I still have mixed feelings about the flu shot. A good friend recently had the shot and became ill with flu like symptoms soon after. Then again, I'm one who questions many of the motives of the medical establishment.

Old 12-20-2003, 12:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

The flu shot only covers the worst 3 (the ones that can kill you) of the season. Obviously, the one that's responsible for some of the deaths lately wasn't expected.

If one has had the flu shot and became ill afterwards with the flu, there are so many flu viruses floating around, she/he probably had one of them. OR, she may have gotten the flu she was immunised against -- but didn't have it as bad as it could have been.

The motives of the medical establishment for immunisation are to prevent high numbers of deaths for those who are more liable to get it (children, elderly, workers in the health field, workers in schools, those with lung disorders, immuno disorders, etc).

I have the flu shot yearly when I was a young and in school, and then when I developed asthma as an adult. I don't have a problem with getting it....but, I do have a problem with what's in the shot other than the non-live virus. I feign ignorance and go with it. I have had the flu probably 5 times altogether since getting them. I couldn't imagine being any sicker than I was.

I'm fairly confident that this latest flu will be part of the immunisation next year.

I hope you stay flu-free --- enjoy the holiday season.

quincy

Last edited by quincy; 12-20-2003 at 12:12 AM.

Closed Thread