It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2003, 10:05 PM   #1
(female)

Mommy2Isaiah HB User
4 year old w/flu

My son was diagnosed w/the flu 4 days ago and I have it too. His fever was down to 100 all day today and then it shot up to 104.8. I am concerned about it. Also, his heart is beating sooo fast that it's kind of freaking me out. Should I take him in? We have been in bed for 4 days straight, not able to get up to do anything but get water and go to the bathroom. Any thoughts?

Nicole

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2003, 12:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: 4 year old w/flu

Hi,

Having the flu is really the worst feeling. Especially the fever and chills. I was completely non-functioning when I had the flu the few times I did.

Do you have an on-call doctor in your city -- one who does house calls? That may be a better bet since the hospitals will probably be fairly busy with very long waits.

Call his doctor and ask the questions, and if he gets any worse or shows any distress, of course take him to be checked out.

I have heard that the fever should be kept as low or as consistent as possible. The fast spiking of fever can cause seizures. As scary as they are (two of my cousin's kids had them), it's still best to be prepared as what to expect. Check out some internet sites as for what to do.

Tylenol is the safe med to use for those dreaded body aches and fever, not aspirin because of Rhey's syndrome. You'd have to check into ibuprophen on whether it's OK for young children.

The fever should only last a few days. Keep hydrated.

I hope you both feel better soon.

quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2003, 01:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Abbey32 HB User

With the danger of this flu...I would take him in. Even to the ER if you are insured. The racing heartbeat...not sure what that is but I would not full around. I know how you feel...My son and I both had the flu at the same time. It lasted about 10 days. I hope you have help.

Old 12-19-2003, 07:46 AM   #4

DianeMarie73 HB User

That is a really high fever take him in!

Old 12-22-2003, 07:04 AM   #5

Beth* HB User

hi....

We are suffering here with the same thing with my 3 yr old. His fever will not go under and stays around 104-105. Yes, the heartbeat is from the fever and if he has fast/shallow breathing that too is from the body heat of his fever. He is trying to fight it. We were admitted to the hospital for a few days so they could monitor him and keep the fever down. We are home now but still miserable and I am honestly wondering if I should readmit him. We are all exhausted and worried. I would definately in your shoes...take him to the er...they will fill him with liquids (iv probably) to keep fighting the fever and can do some other tricks as well. Perhaps the spike in fever means he has developed a secondary infection (my son has an ear infection too) and he may need antibiotics for that part of the flu! Its not fun and I am a mess, but yes, I think you should just take him and get him checked out. Good luck!

Beth

Old 12-22-2003, 07:27 PM   #6
(female)

Mommy2Isaiah HB User

Thank you all for your posts. I made the appointment today to see his peds dr. When we got there and he checked his ears, he found a bulging ear drum, that could have burst! Isaiah also lacked color and his lips were very dry with dried blood on them. I had to work today...so I couldn't keep the "mommy" eye on him. My grandma is wonderful, though. So anyway, the doctor wanted us to take him to the hospital to get IV fluids and antibiotics. That WAS NOT FUN holding Isaiah down while they did the IV and checked his blood. Poor baby. So we have to watch his fluid intake and if he is still not "with it" tomorrow, then we have to take him back to the peds dr. I was sick all last week and have not done A THING as far as Christmas shopping goes. I don't know when I'm going to be able to do it. I guess I better find a time, huh? Our Walmart is open 24 hrs, so I might have to wait until he's comfortably asleep and have daddy lay next to him, since he doesn't want to be alone right now. Man! This is not fun. I feel for all of you that are going through this either yourselves, or with your kids. Beth, I pray that your son gets better soon. I can't imagine what it must be like with him that sick. I thought we had it bad. Like you said in the Hannah post, it can always be worse. Count our blessings...right?

God Bless

Nicole

Old 12-22-2003, 11:00 PM   #7

Beth* HB User

Nicole:

So glad you took him and found out it was his ears too. The iv's do suck and make it so hard for the little ones but it is amazing what a little fluid can do for the body! My little guy had dry and cracked, bleeding lips too. A sure sign of dehydration! I am glad you are getting the help you need! I went Christmas shopping tonight with my Mom and Sister and actually just got home (stayed at mall till closing and than straight to the 24 hr Wallmart too). I had to get away and trust my husband with the kids. It is hard for me to, but I had fun and got myself into a bit of the spirit tonight. BOth kids are sound assleep and I have one heck of a few nights of wrapping but I am done with Christmas here!! My husband took them to the doc early evening for a recheck and my older son does have a sinus infection (which is really no biggie) and my little guy, they said seems to be making some headway towards recovery now! The doc said slowly but surely the flu will be beaten and I believe that now!! I also made an appt. with an ear/nose/throat dr for next week after holidays are over for a consult for tonsils out! The docs seem to think this will help in the long run and of course for next year!

Take care, keep us posted and stay well. God bless...remember Hannah is watching over us!

Beth

Old 12-23-2003, 12:09 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

Want 2 B Well HB User

I would try and give him some Gatorade, broth, popsicles, anything light. Saltines are good for something on his stomach too.
I gave my daughter Motrin. After that stopped working I gave her Tylenol.

How often does he go to the bathroom? Keep a close eye on that or any dehydration signs. If unsure, have him looked at again.

I know its rough. I hope things look up for you!
Quit smoking June 3 2003
Will be 39 in Feb.
Scared to turn 40

I am a work in progress...

Old 12-23-2003, 09:32 PM   #9
(female)

Mommy2Isaiah HB User

We have a VERY close eye on all of that for fear of returning to the hospital. That was not fun AT ALL. I thought we were doing a good job keeping him hydrated, but not good enough, so I am going to keep giving him popsicles and gatorade. He is also drinking Pedialyte at the moment, so I hope that helps. Thanks for the advice!

Nicole

Old 12-24-2003, 10:36 PM   #10

taraperx HB User

My four-year-old had the flu a couple of weeks ago. He had extremely high temperatures (upwards of 103-104). This was VERY scary for me becasue my son suffers from febrile seziures when he gets a high temp. So at 2 in the morning I rushed him to the ER. The doctor told me to "double dose" him. I would give him his dose of Children's Advil and then an hour later I'd give him a dose of Children's Tylenol. It worked, thank god, and kept his temp around 100 and constant. The temp only lasts for about 3 days and then it all changes into typical flu symptoms (runny nose, muscle aches). So in case anyone has questions about this, it IS safe to do this "double dose" method as long as it is not for more than 3 days. Good Luck All! (oh yeah, my son came through it just fine and he's back to his old self now- i'm the one sick now- with strep throat of all things!! Merry Xmas to me, lol)

Old 12-25-2003, 10:56 PM   #11

Beth* HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by taraperx
My four-year-old had the flu a couple of weeks ago. He had extremely high temperatures (upwards of 103-104). This was VERY scary for me becasue my son suffers from febrile seziures when he gets a high temp. So at 2 in the morning I rushed him to the ER. The doctor told me to "double dose" him. I would give him his dose of Children's Advil and then an hour later I'd give him a dose of Children's Tylenol. It worked, thank god, and kept his temp around 100 and constant. The temp only lasts for about 3 days and then it all changes into typical flu symptoms (runny nose, muscle aches). So in case anyone has questions about this, it IS safe to do this "double dose" method as long as it is not for more than 3 days. Good Luck All! (oh yeah, my son came through it just fine and he's back to his old self now- i'm the one sick now- with strep throat of all things!! Merry Xmas to me, lol)

I have found alternating tylenol and Motrin every 2-3 hours helps immensly for my sons fever and aches with the flu as well. Yes, it is safe by docs instruction if the fever wont come down with just tylenol. All tylenol was doing for my son was keeping the fever from coming up anymore but not bringing it down at all. His fever was 105 for most of the night for a few nights and in the hosptial. Motrin is a wonder drug to me for the little ones! We are still getting better little by little here but today was a long tiring day for everyone and both my kids feels overtired and cranky along with congested and achy. Both are crying for no reason when sleeping and waking up constantly. I am wired and cant sleep. Driving me crazy....somedays...I feel like I should take up drinking ....lol!

Take care all and Merry Christmas,
Beth

Old 12-26-2003, 10:11 AM   #12
(female)

Mommy2Isaiah HB User

Hi everyone and Beth!

Looks like we made it through Christmas (how I don't know) just fine. Isaiah is feeling better, but won't take his augmentin, so the dr. is calling in an Rx for amoxicillin. I will be so glad when his nose stops running and my cough and headache go away, but the worst is behind us thank God! My mom will be here from California tonight and they are getting over the flu, too. I hope they don't bring some strange Cali strain of the flu here. They tried to get a dr.'s excuse to get their money back from the airline and not even come, but no one ever returned their call. $1800 is too much to throw away when they are feeling better (but not back to normal).

Tylenol and Motrin are wonderful, like Beth said. We alternated for 9 days on it. I'm glad we are done with that part.

Nicole

Old 12-26-2003, 10:35 AM   #13

Beth* HB User

Nicole:

My son HATES augmentin too. It is the nastiest stuff...chaulky and just unpleasant to take! Glad you got switched over, my doc wouldnt do it although I begged. Mason gags just looking at in in the syringe before even taking it cause he knows its soooo nasty!! We only have a few more days left on it and all is getting better. Glad you will have some help and company for the holiday! Maybe you can get rest too! I know what you mean about being happy when YOU are feeling better as I too have a nasty cough, congestion and just utter exhaustion. Honestly...I cant wait till the holidays are over, everyone feels better and the kids can go back to school healty. Than I can concentrate a bit more on me! How selfish huh???? Oh well, we all need to be selfish sometime or another I guess...I hope! Lol!

Beth

Old 12-26-2003, 10:39 AM   #14
(female)

Mommy2Isaiah HB User

You need to be selfish once in awhile, Dr. Phil says that if you don't take care of yourself, then you can't take care of anyone else. I totally believe that! Also...don't wish for school to start again too quickly. I work for the schools here and WELCOME the break! haha

Nicole

Old 12-26-2003, 11:16 AM   #15

Beth* HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Isaiah
You need to be selfish once in awhile, Dr. Phil says that if you don't take care of yourself, then you can't take care of anyone else. I totally believe that! Also...don't wish for school to start again too quickly. I work for the schools here and WELCOME the break! haha

Nicole

Sorry Nicole:

You know I want the best for ya! But, Darn I need a break too....I used to do home daycare for years till my oldest son was old enought to go to Kindergarten (I trusted nobody else to watch my child), than was a pre-k teacher for a few years too. With my next one (who is now 3) I decided I wanted a break from kids that werent mine...although I do love kids! So.........I am a stay at home Mom for now and dont miss the daycare job one bit!!!!!!!!!! Today is my selfish day...Dr. Phil is always right...thats why he drives me nuts!!!

Have a happy day!
Beth

Closed Thread