It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2003, 10:50 AM   #1

donoo HB User
Tamiflu ?????

Does anyone have any experience with this med.? Thanks

Last edited by donoo; 12-21-2003 at 02:18 PM.

Old 12-22-2003, 02:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: Tamiflu ?????

Just got a prescription for it filled this afternoon. Person at work came down with the flu and decided to expose the rest of us. My child had chronic health problems, so we've all had flu shots, but as a precaution, his doctor told us to take antivirals if people start getting sick at work, so we don't bring the flu home with us. Supposedly it decreases the flu symptoms and also makes it so you're not contagious.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2003, 08:45 PM   #3

marantz HB User

Hi I had the flu and was admitted to the hospital for 6 days for iv fluids and oxygen they thought at first just upper respitory infection felt like i had 100 pounds on my chest. While in there they gave me Tamiflu it helped me alot i was also put on more meds to help other complications. As far as I know this med has helped they say as soon as you are exposed this med can help sorry i only know of it from the very sick end of it. I wish people stayed home when they get sick I just recently came from someones house and just about everyone there was coughing really bad and parents were saying there child had a fever this morning but they feel better now, they did not look so good though. Almost want to keep my kids away from others right now is that bad??
Thanks for letting me vent i will keep you in my prayers you do not get this.

Old 12-23-2003, 07:19 AM   #4

Beth* HB User

I wish I had been able to get this drug...it is on back order all over the country from I have heard. My son was presribed this after a hospital stay fighting the flu. Every pharmacy in my area said...we dont have it and cant get it anytime soon. Everyone wants it.....I heard it does help the "symptoms" of the flu but wont "cure" it as it has to run its course....which sucks! Anyway, my son got the usual scripts instead and is slowly recovering. I heard that with this drug recovery is faster too. Hope you are fortunate to get your hands on it for you or your family member who is unfortunate enough to get this icky strain from this year! IT kocked our whole family down in one fell swoop!

Beth

Old 12-23-2003, 07:34 AM   #5

donoo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth*
I wish I had been able to get this drug...it is on back order all over the country from I have heard. My son was presribed this after a hospital stay fighting the flu. Every pharmacy in my area said...we dont have it and cant get it anytime soon. Everyone wants it.....I heard it does help the "symptoms" of the flu but wont "cure" it as it has to run its course....which sucks! Anyway, my son got the usual scripts instead and is slowly recovering. I heard that with this drug recovery is faster too. Hope you are fortunate to get your hands on it for you or your family member who is unfortunate enough to get this icky strain from this year! IT kocked our whole family down in one fell swoop!

Beth
Thanks for your replies. Yes I got 20 pills ( 2person household) after waiting 5 days( you are instructed to start taking these pills within the first 2 days of the flu or forget about it!) If I had waited untill I had the flu I would have been out of luck! You are right Tamiflu is hard to get and if the flu goes wild???? So far we do not have the flu but I make no predictions.

Old 12-23-2003, 09:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I just wish people would use common sense if they're sick. I realize I can't live in a bubble and neither can my child, but I'm absolutely furious that I was exposed to the flu and nobody was going to bother to tell me because they were afraid I'd get upset. Duh!

Basically, A part-time coworker, who doesn't get paid sick leave, has the flu and exposed most of us last week, was at work most of yesterday until she felt so awful she went home. If I'd known this person had the flu -- I would have taken extra precautions besides washing my hands constantly and using antibacterial hand cleaner. This person has been coughing constantly, using phones, office equipment, digging her germy hands in all the holiday goodies...

Old 12-23-2003, 09:41 AM   #7

Beth* HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratatosk
I just wish people would use common sense if they're sick. I realize I can't live in a bubble and neither can my child, but I'm absolutely furious that I was exposed to the flu and nobody was going to bother to tell me because they were afraid I'd get upset. Duh!

Basically, A part-time coworker, who doesn't get paid sick leave, has the flu and exposed most of us last week, was at work most of yesterday until she felt so awful she went home. If I'd known this person had the flu -- I would have taken extra precautions besides washing my hands constantly and using antibacterial hand cleaner. This person has been coughing constantly, using phones, office equipment, digging her germy hands in all the holiday goodies...

I hear ya sister...but ya know, this year is sooo bad! You could basically be exposed anywhere. Like you said, no bubbles for us! Grocery carts, grocery lines, docs offices, in other peoples cars, in our own cars that other people have ridden in, playing with a child or person that shows no symptoms yet, shopping in the mall touching items other people have touched before you that dont show symptoms yet....the list is absolutely infinite!! Some people are just carriers and have no idea they are carrying it to you. I do agree people sick and infected should stay home!! But by the time they realize they are sick....you are exposed a million times over, a million ways. Just stinks anyway you look at it....just living in america. At least we dont ebola or other nasty plagues that kill immediately with NO help or medical treatment.

I am sooo trying to grateful and thankfull for what we do have in America and that we do have the power (somewhat) to fight the flu. It stinks...my whole family was wiped out and we all were in the hospital. BUt..... I am thankfull it is controlable and we are all ok!

Think good thoughts.....hey its worth a shot right?
Beth

Old 12-24-2003, 10:23 PM   #8

rubindj HB User

Just to let you know, Tamilful, as well as the other antivirals, work by preventing the virus from multiplying. This means that the virus already in your system will make you miserable, but no new virus will be formed. Thus it can reduce the length of time you are down and out, and *may* help reduce symptoms.

Old 12-25-2003, 09:27 PM   #9

Beth* HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubindj
Just to let you know, Tamilful, as well as the other antivirals, work by preventing the virus from multiplying. This means that the virus already in your system will make you miserable, but no new virus will be formed. Thus it can reduce the length of time you are down and out, and *may* help reduce symptoms.

If you can find the stuff anywhere.....it seems to be on crazy back order all over the country. I too have heard it seemed to lessen the symptoms but has worked better if taken "before" any symtoms start. To me it seems like countless drs. have taken the liberty of prescribing this drug to families around the country who just "thought or were worried them and their children COULD possibly get the flu" but were showing no signs at the time of script. I have several friends that got the script months ago for everyone in their family. Some still got the flu, some didnt, and for a few they still got it horribly. I had no idea about this drug until all the stuff on the news was going on about kids getting very sick etc. I would never think to give my 3 yr old ( or myself ) something that "might" help "if " my family was to get this dreaded strain of flu. Now, nobody can get it anywhere...at least not anywhere near me! Tamiflu cannot help my family now!

Good luck to those who are sick now, and congrats for those who got this "wonder drug" before those who are sick now and cant get it!

Take care of yourselves, stay well,
Beth

Last edited by Beth*; 12-25-2003 at 09:28 PM.

Old 10-04-2005, 10:13 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User
Re: Tamiflu

What about all this talk about the bird flu? It's really scary to think this could be a pandemic in a matter of weeks. I think one course of action is to use the Tamiflu. They are saying that we might have a shortage of that. Maybe we should all order some now just in case.

Closed Thread