It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2003, 11:53 AM   #1

MissyKirk HB User
Can a child contract flu from being bitten?

Hello. I've read a lot of the boards about the recent flu bug going around and I'm unsure of how my son contracted it. I have three children, 8yo girl that goes to school and daycare afterwards, a 4yo girl at daycare all day and a 2yo son, also at daycare all day. Day before yesterday my son was bitten on his cheek and the child broke the skin. Then yesterday he had a low grade fever in the morning which then spiked very rapidly around 2pm. At 2am this morning his fever was close to 104. When I woke him up to medicate him, (with tylenol) and give him a tepid bath, his eyes were rapidly looking up and then looking at me, over and over. I was freaked out! I recently had foot surgury so I crawled to the bath on my knees with him hoping to bring his temp down with some coolish water but it didn't work. He is so miserable. My husband just took him to the doctor, they couldn't get us in any sooner than 1:40 and I hope that the Army doctor's take us seriously. We tend to get Poo-pooed since we are enlisted that that just chaps my hide! I've read that motrin is better than tylenol and others say the opposite. We will use whatever the docs give him but so far the meds haven't helped at all anyways.

I'm a bit confused as to what the flu is. Since so many say that it has to run it's course, what is it. If it's not an infection in the body that can be treated with antibotics how come the high fevers? He has a cruppy cough and some serious mucus running freely from his nose. He has rapid pulse and somewhat labored breathing. I'm scared since he is only 2 and the majority of the deaths in children has happened to children under 5. My mom says I should cotton ball him with alcohol. Is that a good idea? I had heard somewhere a long time ago that, that can be dangerous because it could cause the temp to drop too rapidly.

Whatever advise or old wives tales you have used would be appreciated. So far my girls have not gotten sick. They are washing their hands like crazy and my door knobs are being sprayed with lysol throughout the day.

Thanks
Melissa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread