It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2003, 01:40 PM   #1

RichMan HB User
Flu, high fevers and rectal temperatures

I have seen a number of posts concerning this current flu strain and fevers. Here is a personal experience I'll share, as it might answer some concerns or perhaps give a little insight to the fever question.

Last week I fought this new strain of flu. Thankfully I had help. My neighbor and friend is a registered nurse. She knew I was sick and assisted me in recovering. Initially she evaluated me and realized I was pretty sick. I had the body aches & pains, chills, coughing, malaise and fever. When it came to my fever, she didn't fool around. Her initial finding was that I was running a 103.8 temp. (orally). I wasn't thrilled on her strong suggestion on temperature taking, but let her do a rectal temperature on me. My temperature was hovering close to 105F! (Rectal)

I wound up in the E.R., and she was there too. She told the staff about my condition, and as soon as I was brought into the treatment room, I had my temperature taken rectally again. This time it was up to 105.4F!

The E.R. people held me for a while, and how they did it (other than having me drink mass amounts of cold water) helped reduce my core temperature to about 102.6F. Still they were wary, yet let me return home after having had to take a dose of something like motrin.

Once home my friend continued to monitor my temperature (rectally). She realized I was somewhat chagrined about the rectal method, but re-iterated what was told to me at the E.R., and that was, that sometimes it is necessary for the temperature to be taken this way, and that if your temperature is significantly elevated after an oral reading, you're certainly going to have a higher core body temperature when taken rectally.

I understand that this method, though accurate as it is, especially when done using a glass, mercury thermometer, or any other rectal thermometer is the bane of many who are sick, be it the flu or anything else.

As I said, various posts cover this subject (fevers w/ flu) and if ,as many posts indicate, the reading is what would be called or considered "high", then depending on how it was taken might indicate how sick someone is with this flu.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2003, 01:50 PM   #2

MissyKirk HB User
Re: Flu, high fevers and rectal temperatures

My husband just got back from the dr. office with my son. They gave him children's motrin, children's tylenol and Amoxil, the pink bubble gummy stuff ususally taken for ear infections. My question for you is, what all did you take during your week of sickness? How long did it take for you to bring your temp down? Should I try to use the acholol (sp?) spounging on my son? I am just so worried about his little brain boiling in his head. Of course the doctor's did not address my questions that I sent with my husband. Just gave us the meds and told us when to administer them to him. No big surprise there. Take care.
Melissa

Old 12-20-2003, 06:06 PM   #3

RichMan HB User

Melissa,
First I hope at the sending of this E-mail, your son is well on the way to recovery, or has already recovered from his ailment. As far as saying anyhing about what the medical people did regarding your son's condition, I'm not in a position to say, as I'm not a medical professional. I would think that if after giving your son, the prescribed regimen of medications the doctor(s) suggested, for the prescribed time, and he has not improved, you return to either the doctor who initially saw him, or go to the nearest E.R., and explain the situation. I wish you all the best,

Old 12-20-2003, 06:14 PM   #4

RichMan HB User

Melissa,
To answer your questions as to what I did. First of all, I'm probably very, very much older than you son. I have no prblem telling you I took a good deal of fever reducers which worked for me. Being you read my post, you know my temp came down after significant quanities of cold water taken by mouth. I think it a combination of the water drinking and fever reducer that got my temperature down. It took about two days. Again, I wish you and your son, the best.

Old 12-21-2003, 04:41 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Aimee8396 HB User

I just wanted to stress NEVER do the alcohol sponging, that is an old wives tale and can be very harmful. My Dr. said for me to give my kids a dose of Motrin (ibuprofin) and to put them in a warm (not hot) bath. This always brings their fevers down at least until I can get them to the Drs.

Also, there are special rectal thermometers, make sure you use one of those. I didn't realize they still did that. I haven't had that done in about 20 years. I do know that if you take your temp under the arm to add a degree. IE 100.6 under arm is actually 101.6. I'm always doing the under arm to avoid germ spread, I always run out of protectors. Hope evryone stays well. We're dealing with God only know at my house right now. Good luck and Happy Holidays, Aimee

Old 12-22-2003, 07:00 AM   #6

Beth* HB User
Exclamation Re: Flu, high fevers and rectal temperatures

My three year old was in the hospital this week with the same issue....influenza-A to be exact...they did a swab to find out the strain he was fighting. I had no idea they could do that...but they did! (I also wrote a long post in childrens heath) I have been going crazy since discharge as his fever (rectally of course) has been hovering around 105 as well and we are unable to bring it down. I did try a bath but that is only momentary, as the fever starts climbing again within the hour. They were very quick (i felt anyway) to discharge him after finding out it "was only the flu that has to run its course". We have spent the last two days/nights that he has been home doing all we can just to keep the fever at around 103. He is lethargic, miserable and does have some respitory symptoms as well for which he was sent home with a decongestant for. We give him tylenol (suppositories) and than Motrin by mouth every three hours, alternating the two. The tynelol quite frankly does nothing but prevent the fever from rising. The Motrin does great for around an hour or two and than the fight is on again. Plus, he frequently throws up the Motrin and therfore the fever stays up. We have called the docs back and they are saying for today, if I cant manange to keep the fever down a bit easier....back into the hospital he goes. My 10 yr old has a slight fever w/cough and I am praying his doesnt develop into this right before or on Christmas. I myself am achy, feverish and very very stressed. Just wanted to vent, any advice on this type of flu or its time period will help!

Hope you all stay well through the holiday,
Beth

Old 12-22-2003, 12:28 PM   #7

MissyKirk HB User

Aimee- thanks for the info about the spounging. I was leary to do it so I haven't. I was pretty sure that I had heard awhile ago that it was dangerous, and that is why I hadn't done it.

Beth- my son is still fighting his fever too. I got some meds from the doctor and have been diligent about giving it to him but he always seems to hovor at 104, (orally). This weekend he was running around with his sisters and then taking a break by cuddling up in the bed with me. Now his sisters are in daycare, and he is sleeping AGAIN. His breathing seems to be better since we have given him the amoxil but the fever, cough and runny nose are still the same. I went on a search on google for meds and read up on amoxil. I can't understand why the doctor gave it to him since he doesn't have an infection in his ears, or streap throat. There was a lot of medical gargin contained on the websites that went way over my head, but it doesn't seem the meds prescribed are for the symtoms that he has. <sigh>

So far he's been sick for 4 days. I've read on other posts that they can go from 7-14 days. I hope that his will kick sooner. I hate to see him so sick but will continue to medicate him until it runs out. Then we will see. His older sisters havn't gotten sick yet so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I go through the house once a day and spray all the handles, doors, frig, etc. with lysol to help keep his germs from spreading. I also remind my girls to wash their hands lots and lots. Hopefully this will help. I don't know. Keep in touch, I wish you good luck with the battle within your house. Today is a bit chilli here in Kansas but I think I'll go through the rooms, with the exception of mine where he has been camping out and open the windows. Hopefully airing out the house will help.
Melissa

Old 12-22-2003, 06:43 PM   #8

RichMan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee8396
I just wanted to stress NEVER do the alcohol sponging, that is an old wives tale and can be very harmful. My Dr. said for me to give my kids a dose of Motrin (ibuprofin) and to put them in a warm (not hot) bath. This always brings their fevers down at least until I can get them to the Drs.

Also, there are special rectal thermometers, make sure you use one of those. I didn't realize they still did that. I haven't had that done in about 20 years. I do know that if you take your temp under the arm to add a degree. IE 100.6 under arm is actually 101.6. I'm always doing the under arm to avoid germ spread, I always run out of protectors. Hope evryone stays well. We're dealing with God only know at my house right now. Good luck and Happy Holidays, Aimee
Aimee,
I guess it is somewhat of a surprise to you that the practice of rectal temperature taking is still done. It's not only for young kids, as you can see by my post. Get sick enough, and an accurate reading is needed, you'll find that this is possibly the way it is going to be done. Ear thermometers though quick, are not necessarily that accurate. Oral temperatures are somewhat better, though subject to interference due to breathing and the person not keeping his or her mouh tightly closed around the instrument. Unlike yourself, it hasn't been twenty years since my last rectal temperature taking. Just curious-when you had it last taken, were you suffering from the flu or another ailment or was it necessitated by other factors, and were you a pediatric patient? Those factors would have a bearing on why it was taken rectally.

So, having said what I did, here's hoping you and your family stay well and enjoy the holidays.

Closed Thread