It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2003, 04:00 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

ahall HB User
Red face Croup in Adults

Hi, I was just wondering if there are any other adults out there who suffer from the croup. I get it every year around Nov / Dec. On the last two occurrences I've been hospitalized because my throat was so swollen I just couldn't breath, however there have been occasions where I could treat myself. They generally have me gargle with asprin and take antibiotics and breathing treatments, but now Im pregnant Im not sure if its ok to do any of the above. One nurse said to me "Dont you think you're a bit old to get the croup"!!! Like I choose this. Why at this stage in my life (Im 36) do I still get this illness, its horrible.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2003, 03:05 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ahall HB User
Re: Croup in Adults

Thank you so much for this advice. My doctor told me to take Tylenol and let the virus run its course, he didn't give me antibiotics. I will definately look into the Droscera. Thanks again

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2003, 06:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahall
Thank you so much for this advice. My doctor told me to take Tylenol and let the virus run its course, he didn't give me antibiotics. I will definately look into the Droscera. Thanks again
Using a cool or warm humidifir or taking long bath or long warm shower and inhaling the moist air will help your breathing.

Most cases of croup occur between six months and three years old. most are caused by influenza viruses, but one type is caused by H. influenza, a bacteria, which can be treated with an antibiotic.

you might have blood tests done to check your immune globulins, because croup is unusual in adults.

ignore the nurse's opinions, they aren't qualified to diagnose you.

bruce

Old 12-29-2003, 08:29 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ahall HB User

Hi Bruce,

I had wondered if there was something in my system that kept allowing this virus to raise its ugly head every winter. Everyone where I live has come down with this horrible flu, except me. I didn't know the croup was a strain of the flu, that interesting. Maybe this is my version of the same virus that knocking everyone on their backs. I did go to work this morning, but my boss sent me home after 20 min. because my breathing sounded so raspy and the cough frightened them, its embarassing really, almost like a bark!!! I'll ask my doctor to check my immune globulins to see why this keeps happening. The bad versions do scare me though, it like breathing through a straw, and because Im asthmatic that doesn't help either, mind you, it never goes into my lungs, it just stays in the neck, throat and face. Thanks for the advice.

Old 12-31-2003, 08:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahall
Hi, I was just wondering if there are any other adults out there who suffer from the croup. I get it every year around Nov / Dec. On the last two occurrences I've been hospitalized because my throat was so swollen I just couldn't breath, however there have been occasions where I could treat myself. They generally have me gargle with asprin and take antibiotics and breathing treatments, but now Im pregnant Im not sure if its ok to do any of the above. One nurse said to me "Dont you think you're a bit old to get the croup"!!! Like I choose this. Why at this stage in my life (Im 36) do I still get this illness, its horrible.

It is safe to take penicillin class, and cephlosporin class antibiotics while pregnant.

Avoid tetracyclines, and erythromycin, clindamycin and flagyl.

Bruce

Closed Thread