It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2003, 06:00 PM   #1
(female)

badkat HB User
flu-fever - how long??

Okay my 3yr old son has had a fever for....1over 0 days. 101-103 non-stop. He does have asthma, and I have taken him in 3 times to the doctor. The first time 12/16, oh his cough is just brought on by asthma & a cold, fever just a virus. The second time, (my child was coughing soo hard he was thowing up, and not at all sleeping) so they said, well...being the day before Christmas Eve, we are giving him Zirthormax but only because of the timing and one of his ears looks as if it could be becoming infected and assured me it wasn't. and they also gave me prednisone (??-spelling) for his cough. Well...Sunday went to emergency room, fever continous and every two hours tylenol and then motrin it would only come down to 101, coughing a little better but still bad in bouts anyway the er doctor said - The flu it can last 7-10days. Well this has been over 10 days when will it quit???? Curious if it is okay to continue giving tylenol & motrin?? I feel soo dumb taking him back to the doctor, because they bascially say just the "flu" but this is really getting scarry to me....!!!

Old 12-30-2003, 03:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
Re: flu-fever - how long??

Quote:
Originally Posted by badkat
Okay my 3yr old son has had a fever for....1over 0 days. 101-103 non-stop. He does have asthma, and I have taken him in 3 times to the doctor. The first time 12/16, oh his cough is just brought on by asthma & a cold, fever just a virus. The second time, (my child was coughing soo hard he was thowing up, and not at all sleeping) so they said, well...being the day before Christmas Eve, we are giving him Zirthormax but only because of the timing and one of his ears looks as if it could be becoming infected and assured me it wasn't. and they also gave me prednisone (??-spelling) for his cough. Well...Sunday went to emergency room, fever continous and every two hours tylenol and then motrin it would only come down to 101, coughing a little better but still bad in bouts anyway the er doctor said - The flu it can last 7-10days. Well this has been over 10 days when will it quit???? Curious if it is okay to continue giving tylenol & motrin?? I feel soo dumb taking him back to the doctor, because they bascially say just the "flu" but this is really getting scarry to me....!!!
Find a different doctor. That happened to me when my baby was 6 months old. It turned out he had pneumonia and the doctors had been distracted by the sinus drainage and did not pay attention to his lungs. He ended up in the hospital for 7 days under an oxygen tent. Of course now days they do it some what differently but the message is still the same. If you don't think things are going right, find another doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2003, 04:48 AM   #3
(female)

badkat HB User
Re: flu-fever - how long??

That is exactly what scares me pneumonia!! because of his asthma I'm hoping the doctors are right when they say-he sounds bad but his lungs are clear??? My son goes to a "clinic" where there is alot of doctors. THe first time he saw his doctor, but the 2nd time she was on vacation so we had to see someone else and then the ER was yet a another different one. So I guess I should trust that 3 different one's basically said the same thing, but I still am nervous. Last night he acted ok---had been on motrin/tylenol all day-well, wasn't quite quick enough I guess and his fever shot up to 104.2??? He then started to throw up and then as soon as the tylenol kicked in he seems ok-will walk around and play and he is even eating ok.. Going CRAZY!!!

Closed Thread