It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2003, 03:45 PM   #1
(female)

BigMomma24 HB User
Red face OTC drugs not working!!

I've been suffering from a horrible cold for the past few days. At first, I thought it was allergies and took my usual dose of Allegra and OTC Benadryl. Then, I noticed that the meds weren't working anymore, so I thought I had a cold.

I loaded up on Cold medicine and Nyquil at night, but I still wake up about an hour later with a runny nose, watery eyes, coughing, congestion, etc. So, I end up taking meds all night long just to get a good night's rest (which ends up not being a very restful sleep). During the day, I'm loading up on Non-drowsy meds, but they don't seem to be doing the trick, either. I am miserable.

I know if i go to the doctor, they'll tell me the same thing: "drink lots of fluids, get plenty of rest, blah blah blah...." I just want to know what OTC medicines WORK because I am draining my account on medicines that don't seem to be doing ANYTHING but make me sleepy. Does anyone know what can help with the runny nose and watery eyes?! It's driving me CRAZY! I've been through 3 boxes of tissue in a week!

Old 12-31-2003, 04:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User
Re: OTC drugs not working!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMomma24
I've been suffering from a horrible cold for the past few days. At first, I thought it was allergies and took my usual dose of Allegra and OTC Benadryl. Then, I noticed that the meds weren't working anymore, so I thought I had a cold.

I loaded up on Cold medicine and Nyquil at night, but I still wake up about an hour later with a runny nose, watery eyes, coughing, congestion, etc. So, I end up taking meds all night long just to get a good night's rest (which ends up not being a very restful sleep). During the day, I'm loading up on Non-drowsy meds, but they don't seem to be doing the trick, either. I am miserable.

I know if i go to the doctor, they'll tell me the same thing: "drink lots of fluids, get plenty of rest, blah blah blah...." I just want to know what OTC medicines WORK because I am draining my account on medicines that don't seem to be doing ANYTHING but make me sleepy. Does anyone know what can help with the runny nose and watery eyes?! It's driving me CRAZY! I've been through 3 boxes of tissue in a week!

sorry you are feeling so bad, but otc drugs don't do much for a cold. You can take an otc antihistamine which might take care or the runny nose, but it might dry you out and give you a sore throat.

A cool room with increased humidity might help.

Save your money and quit bying otc drugs, because they may be interfering with your sleep. try and get more rest.

If you are not eating a balanced diet, take a multi vitamin.

bruce

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2003, 06:58 PM   #3
Inactive

isolated one HB User

Cold/Flu medicines only treat the symptoms, not the illness. I believe in prevention and treatment with alternative medicine because they are supposed to boost the immune system in fighting off such things. I can only speak from experience but Garlic, Vitamin C, and Cayenne appear to be valuable in helping reduce the severity and duration of colds or flu. In my opinion, pharmaceutical companies benefit by providing "instant relief", rather than genuine treatment.

Last edited by isolated one; 12-31-2003 at 07:07 PM.

Old 01-01-2004, 04:05 PM   #4
(female)

BigMomma24 HB User

Thanks for the replies! I'll try taking more Vitamin C and take into consideration other remedies, other than OTC meds. I guess when you're desperate with an awful cold, you'll try anything. Thanks again.

Old 01-03-2004, 07:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMomma24

Unfortunately, the medications you are using are prolonging your symptoms. The body is rebounding when ever your medication wears off. The best solution is to drink plenty of fluids. Take warm baths. Take a tylenol or IBuprofen product to relieve muscle pain but just the recommended dosage in the recommended time. Try to withdraw all of those decongestants because they are obviously not working. If your symptoms get to the point they interfere seriously in your ability to breathe (increased heart rate, blood pressure etc. see your doctor.) Otherwise, in about 3 days you should feel better without the most of those OTC's.

Closed Thread