It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2003, 06:57 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User
Scared for my 2 month old...please help

i am so scared that my two month old is going to get this flu ...i have obsessive compulsive disorder so i am wiping everything down with antibacterial wipes and spaying everything with lysol....anyway am i over concerned?...i mean i take the regular percautions (wash hands dont take her in public places...) and if she would get it does that mean there is nothing the doctors can doto get her better? i am just so worried that my baby is going to have the same fate as those other babies that didnt make it i feel for there familes...any imput would be appreciated...are there any more mom's with a newborn concerned as well?

Old 01-01-2004, 08:40 PM   #2

mcQuigg2002 HB User
Re: Scared for my 2 month old...please help

Yes, I am also concerned about my 4 month old catching the flu but I have to let go and let God take control. Do you nurse your baby? If so then dont worry about your baby getting the flu....all the antibodies will protect the baby. A few years ago my whole family had the flu and my 1 month old baby did not get it. Nursing helps.....but if your not nursing then just keep doing what your doing but dont let it run you. I am a bit complusive too and I have to try real hard not to let it rule my every thought. We need to still live our life and besides the children that have died I believe they were sick to begin with. Do you live in a state that was hit hard? All I can say is pray and pray hard. Lets not worry because it doesnt solve a thing! Hope you feel better!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2004, 06:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I have a 7 month old with chronic health problems and I go from feeling confident to scared to death. I can't keep my child in a bubble, he goes to day care because eventually he's going to have to go to school when he's older. I just try to use common sense. Remind people to wash their hands before they can touch my child remind people that they can't be near any of us if they're sick, coughing, sneezing.

Thanksgiving was particularly scary for me because there was a house full of relatives and one person was sick (later found out she had pneumonia) people coming from all over the country, including Denver and my child couldn't get his flu shot until the following Monday. One of the people from Denver didn't feel sick on Thanksgiving, but by Sunday he ended up with the flu.

Also have to deal with sick people showing up for work and touching everything.

It's a scary time of year with all the stuff going on with the flu. I just keep trying to stay calm and hope I can deal with things day by day.

Old 01-03-2004, 05:59 PM   #4
(female)

BigMomma24 HB User

By keeping your children in day care, you're actually helping build their immunities to certain illnesses. I am a preschool teacher in a day care center and am surrounded by sick children all the time. The children that have been at the center since infancy seem to deal with colds, flus, and other illnesses a lot better than those that have never been to day care before. I think exposing your children to germs at a young age helps in the long run, because their immune systems become stronger over time.

What really makes me angry, though, is when parents bring their children to the center while they are extremely sick and exposing all the others. So, if your child is one of the lucky ones to escape the wrath of the flu this year, you can breathe a sigh of relief, but chances are, they will get it eventually, or some other illness that comes along. All you can do is wait it out and pray that your child will come out fine through the ordeal. For the record, several of the children in my center have been hit with the flu, and now they are doing fine. No fatalities. Keep your head up.

Old 01-03-2004, 06:27 PM   #5

mcQuigg2002 HB User

My 2 year old has the flu right now....speaking of the devil.......I took every percaution there was. I guess if your going to get it your going to get it.....

Old 01-03-2004, 06:51 PM   #6
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

thanks for everyones imput on here i am feeling more confident in my own parenting ablity...and yes i guess we do just have to trust god ....

Old 01-05-2004, 02:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

My child was hospitalized for the first 6 weeks of life and would have been released after two, except he managed to contract e-coli and several other infections that are mainly found only in NICU/hospital settings.

One of my son's doctors is totally against daycare. And every time my child has gotten sick, he says "see, this is why he shouldn't go to day care". I usually point out that my child is around fewer children in day care than are sitting in his crowded, germ infested waiting room. I have several friends whose children have either stayed home with a relative or have nannies and those kids almost always seem to be sick. Yes, I'm scared that my child could get sick and again, he can't live in a bubble.

Old 01-09-2004, 08:08 PM   #8

monacks HB User

How terrible for the doctor to make you feel guilty. That really makes me mad. I have a friend who is a stay at home mom. She is involved in play groups and takes her child places during the day. Her kid is sick more than mine are (who go to daycare 3 days per week).

My daughter just started a fever tonight, and now I'm freaking out. I am obsessive about the germs too. I have 6 bottles of antibacterial wipes in the car and I make everyone wipe their hands every time we get in the car. I also have a bottle of Purel in my purse and have been know to whip that out in the middle of the store. But I've found the more the think about it and worry, the worse I feel. My kids touch everything in the store sometimes. And I do say stuff like, "put that down, there's germs". Unfortunately you can't put them in a bubble.

Closed Thread