It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2004, 12:05 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User
Cold? Flu? Virus? Infection? Any recovery advice?

I have already been to the doctor (yesterday) and received antibiotics which I am taking now. But i still don't know exactly what I have or how long I should expect the symptoms to last. This is the sickest I have been in YEARS.

Last Monday it started as a mild tickle in my throat/esophogus and I was really tired and slightly feverish. Friday morning I woke up in extreme pain - still in the esophogus area - so bad I can hardly swallow. I also have no voice and feel somehat foggy in the head. That is what sent me to the doctor. No congestion, just a very dry, unproductive cough.

He was somehat fague in his response just stating that there are a lot of funny bugs going around this year. He gave me amoxicillan for 10 days, told me to drink fluids and rest, and sent me on my way.

All day yesterday and now today I continue to feel worse - I have not been able to lay down or sleep since I woke up on Friday morning - because of the pain and because when I lay down my throat hurts more and closes up and I start choking. I am most comfortable sitting in up in chair. Now it also seems as if the congestion is worsening. There is some phlegm to cough up, but I am so sore/raw in the throat and esophugus I can't finish a cough without extreme pain. And my nose has now started running, but it is not stuffed up.

Does this sound like something the antibiotics will take care of quickly? Or does this sound like the flu? I am really hoping that the antibiotics will start to kick in - I am sooooo very tired but in so much pain I just can't sleep.

I am drinking lots of tea and sucking on halls and nice drops (with menthol) but that doesn't seem to be doing much. I am also taking ibuprofin every 4 hours (for pain and fever) and at night taking comtrex instead.

Are there any other suggestions as to what I can do to alleviate the symptoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2004, 07:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
Re: Cold? Flu? Virus? Infection? Any recovery advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdimassimo
I have already been to the doctor (yesterday) and received antibiotics which I am taking now. But i still don't know exactly what I have or how long I should expect the symptoms to last. This is the sickest I have been in YEARS.

Last Monday it started as a mild tickle in my throat/esophogus and I was really tired and slightly feverish. Friday morning I woke up in extreme pain - still in the esophogus area - so bad I can hardly swallow. I also have no voice and feel somehat foggy in the head. That is what sent me to the doctor. No congestion, just a very dry, unproductive cough.

He was somehat fague in his response just stating that there are a lot of funny bugs going around this year. He gave me amoxicillan for 10 days, told me to drink fluids and rest, and sent me on my way.

All day yesterday and now today I continue to feel worse - I have not been able to lay down or sleep since I woke up on Friday morning - because of the pain and because when I lay down my throat hurts more and closes up and I start choking. I am most comfortable sitting in up in chair. Now it also seems as if the congestion is worsening. There is some phlegm to cough up, but I am so sore/raw in the throat and esophugus I can't finish a cough without extreme pain. And my nose has now started running, but it is not stuffed up.

Does this sound like something the antibiotics will take care of quickly? Or does this sound like the flu? I am really hoping that the antibiotics will start to kick in - I am sooooo very tired but in so much pain I just can't sleep.

I am drinking lots of tea and sucking on halls and nice drops (with menthol) but that doesn't seem to be doing much. I am also taking ibuprofin every 4 hours (for pain and fever) and at night taking comtrex instead.

Are there any other suggestions as to what I can do to alleviate the symptoms?
I just got over what you are talking about. You described the symptoms very well. This is what worked best for me. I took some orange juice and put it in a plastic water bottle, half orange juice and filled up rest of way with water. Froze the liquid until it was icey mushy and sipped on it. It relieved the swelling of the throat without using medications. I alternated with diphenhydramine which helped me to sleep. Along with Aleve one or two times for fever. The sleep was the most curative thing along with the orange juice slushy. The main thing is to drink a large amount of uncaffinated beverages to keep from becoming dehydrated. If your symptoms worsen, see your doctor again.

Old 01-03-2004, 07:18 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marimac
I just got over what you are talking about. You described the symptoms very well. This is what worked best for me. I took some orange juice and put it in a plastic water bottle, half orange juice and filled up rest of way with water. Froze the liquid until it was icey mushy and sipped on it. It relieved the swelling of the throat without using medications. I alternated with diphenhydramine which helped me to sleep. Along with Aleve one or two times for fever. The sleep was the most curative thing along with the orange juice slushy. The main thing is to drink a large amount of uncaffinated beverages to keep from becoming dehydrated. If your symptoms worsen, see your doctor again.

how long did it take for you to recover?

Old 01-03-2004, 10:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdimassimo
how long did it take for you to recover?
From the beginning to the end of fever was 8 days. The worst part or highest fever and symptoms was about 4 days. The left overs are still around, bubble feeling in ears and sniffles. No fever some fatigue. But, those things will lessen. I expect to be at least as good as before by the end of 14 days. Hopefully I will regain good defenses to avoid relapse.

Closed Thread