It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2004, 07:59 PM   #1

DCast HB User
College is sick...what can i do to protect myself?

Everyone in my classes and my apt complex is coughing/sore throat/running nose. Can I get a quick list of some preventative measures?

Wash Hands
Fluids
......?

Old 01-07-2004, 09:54 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User
Re: College is sick...what can i do to protect myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCast
Everyone in my classes and my apt complex is coughing/sore throat/running nose. Can I get a quick list of some preventative measures?

Wash Hands
Fluids
......?
Well you could wear a mask to protect from inhaling their germs. But most people would be too embarrassed to do that. Ad the chances are that you have already been exposed to anything going around.

Zinc will help protect you from colds and help reduce the duration of a cold. But if its the flu, it won't do much.

I was just in my doctors office and they have signs up all over the place asking people to double bag their kleenex before throwing it in the trash and they have antibacterial gel containers everywhere. They are even asking people with respitory symptoms to sit at one end of the waitong room to avoid infecting others.

I suppose you can distance yourself from everyone - sit in the WAY back of your classrooms away from everyone and don't come in close contact with anyone on campus.

They now sell small packets of bathroom cleaning wipes (the package is about the size of giant chocolate bar). These are not the wipes to clean your hands - they are to clean the toilet - you just can't be too careful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2004, 07:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Since the germs can last on surfaces such as desks, door knobs, telephones, etc. Try not to touch your face at all after touching those places. I sometimes use my sleeve to open doors, so I don't have to touch the door knob. Also, carry some of that alcohol based hand sanitizer and use it after you shake someone's hand, touch something a sick person has touched. Read an article that says this stuff is about 99.9% effective in killing the influenza A virus.

Wash your hands frequently -- don't just dip your hands in the water -- sing happy birthday while you suds up to make sure you get your hands clean. Stay away from anyone who is coughing or sneezing. I usually scope out a place beforehand and if someone is sniffling, coughing -- I go way way across the room.

Old 01-09-2004, 08:36 AM   #4

DCast HB User

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Closed Thread