It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2004, 10:13 AM   #1
Inactive

The_Cheese_Man HB User
Unhappy Could I catch the flu from this???

Hi

Around Christmas time, I get a call from my brother in law and I got to speak to the whole family. Then my aunt gets on the phone and tells me she is sick with 104 degree temp lately and can't seem to shake the flu.

Anyway, so a few days later I get a package in the mail from my uncle (I guess my aunt was too sick to send it herself like she usually does) and without thinking I rip the package open and there are pictures, a card, a small box of chocolates (which I hav'nt eaten yet) and a few other things.

I looked at the pictures and then went for a walk outside and when I came back in I was muncing on shelled pistachio nuts when suddenly I remember that my aunt had this flu and her husband (my uncle) had just sent me this package and so I quickly wash my hands and hoped for the best.

I don't know wether to call them up and thank them for the "wonderful package" or chew them out for possibly exposing me to thier infection...grrrrr!!!.

I only have one question. What are the odds??

Old 01-08-2004, 03:30 PM   #2

JenBrooke123 HB User
Re: Could I catch the flu from this???

Well, In my personal opinion the odds are very slim of getting sick that way. From what I understand you get it from being around the person, them sneezing, talking or coughing around you. It is airborn.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep your hands washed and stay away from sick people.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2004, 09:09 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

I'm not sure of the specifics, but viruses require certain conditions to stay alive, depending on the virus. Maybe someone else here knows the specifics, but my understanding is that a virus cannot survive for very long away from a human host. I know you can spread germs on surfaces, but I don't think they can live for more than a few hours without a human host or appropriate conditions.

If your food package was mailed to you, it is unlikely that a virus would survive the transport before reaching you.

This of course is quite different from the situation of a bathroom door handle where a virus germ can be transfered in a matter of minutes to many hands passing through.

Old 01-15-2004, 01:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

The cold virus can stay alive for roughly 4 hours on a warm surface, so you have nothing to worry about.

The main things to be careful of, are washing your hands after getting off the subway, playing with children, etc.

Closed Thread