It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2004, 11:36 AM   #1
(female)

Laney00 HB User
Question Tonsilitis

I was diagnosed with Tonsilitis about 3 weeks ago, and had it for 4 weeks. ,my left tonsil is still swollen and has a white spot on it (that's been there a while). I also had bronchitis, so I was on Zithromax for the 3 day supplement. The strep test was negative, and I just went in the other day to check for any other bacteria - negative. Anyone have any trouble with swollen tonsils? I just want to know if it will go away! My doc said just to gargle salt water and take advil for pain. Didn't seem worried. I am because it's not exactly nice having this linger around........any advice out there???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2004, 08:17 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User
Re: Tonsilitis

I heard that Zythromax was not being used anymore because most bacterias had built resistance to it. You may want to check with your doctor about that - you might need a different antibiotic.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2004, 07:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

Do yourself a big favor and just get them removed altogether.

I had tonsilitis several times within a 4 year period. Each time, the doctor said "gargle salt water, get some cough drops" or they put me on an antibiotic.

The last time I got it, I was on vacation (fishing trip). The tonsils became so swollen, I could barely breathe. I had to be taken to the hospital, and a doctor had to "lance" each tonsil to get the puss to drain out. This was the most painful thing I've ever experienced.

After that episode, I had my tonils removed. It was done under local (a narcotic). I didn't hurt at all, and took about an hour. I was sent home with a bottle of codeine and some percocet pills. It was really no big deal at all -like having a cavity drilled. The next day, I was eating pizza.

Trust me on this -if your tonsils get infected, they will get infected again, and every time it gets worse and worse. The antibiotics are also bad for you. Just get them yanked! Insist on it.

Old 01-30-2004, 06:17 AM   #4
Inactive

love_him HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney00
I was diagnosed with Tonsilitis about 3 weeks ago, and had it for 4 weeks. ,my left tonsil is still swollen and has a white spot on it (that's been there a while). I also had bronchitis, so I was on Zithromax for the 3 day supplement. The strep test was negative, and I just went in the other day to check for any other bacteria - negative. Anyone have any trouble with swollen tonsils? I just want to know if it will go away! My doc said just to gargle salt water and take advil for pain. Didn't seem worried. I am because it's not exactly nice having this linger around........any advice out there???
hi, i get Tonsilitis sooooo much. You should get your doctor to subscribe you penecilin (cant spell it) it helps tho. When I get it now I just wait till it goes away. If you get it 5 times in a year your able to get your tonsils removed which would be the best choice!

Old 01-30-2004, 07:45 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Sounds almost as if you have tonsil stones. Maybe you just never noticed it before 'cuz you never had problems and never looked.

Old 02-16-2004, 11:00 AM   #6
(female)

Laney00 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratatosk
Sounds almost as if you have tonsil stones. Maybe you just never noticed it before 'cuz you never had problems and never looked.
what are tonsil stones? I never heard of them.
Its been 2 months now and its still swollen. Only hurts occasionally. I do plan to call the doctor this week and find out if she is concerned at all.

Closed Thread