It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2004, 01:03 PM   #1

pheebs HB User
really bad cold what can i do?

12 year old girl has a terrible cold. (not flu thank god) for one she can't stop coughing and sneezing. she has a sore throat yet she can't stop coughing or sneezing to calm it down. it hurts her so much she sometimes can't breathe and she hasnt been able to speak in 3 days. how can we stop this? also she get light headed and weak and generally feels awful. any help is appreciated. thank you. (we live in UK so american thing we dont have)

Last edited by pheebs; 01-10-2004 at 01:10 PM.

Old 01-10-2004, 03:03 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User
Re: really bad cold what can i do?

"Robitussin" brand cough syrup has been a godsend to me this past 2 weeks. Not sure if its available to you but it is important that you buy the right formula. They have so many it can be confusing. If you are buying a generic brand make sure you are getting the right combination of ingredients:

1. Dextromethorphan - This ingredient calms the cough. That's all it does.
2. Guaifenesin - This ingredient thins the mucus and helps expectorate congestion. This is needed for severe congestion.
3. Pseudoephedrine - Clears nasal congestion (same as Sudafed)

The Robitussin CF formula has 1, 2, and 3 of the above ingredients. At the beginning of the cold this can be very helpful as it will calm all the symptoms.
As the cold progresses or settles into the chest you can switch to the "DM" formula (or equivilent) which has 1 & 2, but not 3. Then in the later stages of recovery, you can switch to the "Guaifenesin" formula which only has #2 - this will continue to expectorate the congestion but without the taking the other ingredients unnecessarily.

If you use it correctly, this stuff really works. Make sure you don't take any other cold formulas if you are using this as you run the risk of duplicating ingredients - just use this with tylenol or ibuprofin. Its really all you need.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread