It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2004, 05:36 PM   #1
(female)

melody81 HB User
sore throat, what could this be?

I've had a sore throat for 2 days now It's kind of a strange sore throat though. The sore part is on the left side of my throat, and when i swallow, it feels like i'm swallowing a lump!

I looked inside my mouth and i didn't see anything white, so i don't think it's strep. At least i hope not. It just looks red on the left side. I felt the side of my neck and it feels a little swollen on the left. When i woke up, i did have a bad sinus headache. Could this be something sinus related? Or does it sound like just the start of a cold? I have congestion but it's not too bad and it's mostly in my nose. I do have some minor coughing too.

Old 01-10-2004, 08:57 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User
Re: sore throat, what could this be?

First of all, you need to see a doctor. My doctor gave me a hint to help me determine what type and how serious the condition is. If the sore throat is general pain/irritation in the entire throat and there is not evidence of spots or pus it is probably a result of cold/flu/sinus. If the sore throat is specific to an area in your throat, so specific that you can point to it, it is probably a bacterial infection that requires antibiotics.

In both cases the soreness can be equally painful, cause difficulty swallowing, and either can indicate a more serious condition. You do need to see a doctor to find out if you need antibiotics.

Regarding strep infections, you cannot diagnose this yourself. Strep can be a funny infection with inconsistant symptoms. Several years ago my husband I were both ill for about a week. He had typical strep symptoms (severe sore throat, white spots on throat, fever). I just had a general feeling of flu (fever, aches, pains etc.) but no sore throat. We both went to the doctor and both tested positive for strep... but I NEVER got a sore throat!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2004, 03:21 PM   #3
(female)

melody81 HB User
Re: sore throat, what could this be?

Thanks for the advice. I did actually go ahead and see the doctor this morning, and wouldn't ya know it...it WAS strep throat! I'm so miserable!

But I'm glad i got some meds to knock it out, i just wish it would hurry up and kick in! I'm sick of having a sore throat

Closed Thread