It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2004, 05:46 AM   #1
(female)

kendram HB User
throat pain!!

I went to the doc. yesterday due to a sore throat and fever of 103. I was diagnosed with strep. She thought it was unusual for an adult to run a fever that high with strep but I always have had problems with it, I just cant get a doc. to agree that I need my tonsils taken out. My fever is down now but my throat hurts so bad that I have to whisper cause it hurts too bad to let any voice out. Anyone know what I can do to help the pain? Ive always had problems with strep but my throat has never hurt as bad as it does now. I could just about jerk the tonsils out myself if I knew I wouldnt bleed to death. I know it probably wouldnt hurt me any more than Im hurting. Now that the fever has broke I am starved to death cause I havent ate in 2 days and now I cant swallow anything to eat! Im doing good to swallow my spit to keep it from running out my mouth!! Any advice or even old remedies would help. I would just about try anything. Ive done salt water and ate honey. no help there. Thanks

Old 01-17-2004, 11:01 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Angela4 HB User
Re: throat pain!!

You poor thing! I have a sore throat right now too. No fever, but also no insurance to go get it checked out. I hope you feel better!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2004, 12:09 PM   #3

PinkBanana HB User
Re: throat pain!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendram
I went to the doc. yesterday due to a sore throat and fever of 103. I was diagnosed with strep. She thought it was unusual for an adult to run a fever that high with strep but I always have had problems with it, I just cant get a doc. to agree that I need my tonsils taken out. My fever is down now but my throat hurts so bad that I have to whisper cause it hurts too bad to let any voice out. Anyone know what I can do to help the pain? Ive always had problems with strep but my throat has never hurt as bad as it does now. I could just about jerk the tonsils out myself if I knew I wouldnt bleed to death. I know it probably wouldnt hurt me any more than Im hurting. Now that the fever has broke I am starved to death cause I havent ate in 2 days and now I cant swallow anything to eat! Im doing good to swallow my spit to keep it from running out my mouth!! Any advice or even old remedies would help. I would just about try anything. Ive done salt water and ate honey. no help there. Thanks
Check out the lemon juice thread..lemon juice & salt mixed taste nasty, but it does work, my mom swears by it. Kills all the bacteria.
I've been in your situation be4..it got so bad I had to get my antibiotics through injections b/c I couldn't get even liquid medicine down. I couldn't swallow water, or even my own spit..I had 2 spit it out into klenex. and my fever stayed at 104 for a week, so long that when I was feeling better, my eyes were pink from being so feverish for so long. wasn't strep though, had a strep test 3 times that week, rapid and culture and both came back negative.
Did you have a strep test? Are you sure it's strep? A rapid strep test is only accurate 50% of the time..a culture is the only way to know for sure.
I was given liquid motrin and liquid tylenol alternating every 4 hours via an eyedropper thing they usually use 4 infants, usually some of it got down. The motrin really helped with the swelling..although liquid motrin can be hard 2 find(look around). I was also given liquid tylenol w/ codeine through the eyedropper as well..NASTY stuff..get it flavored if possible!! That helped with the pain and helped me 2 sleep.
Try to drink water or pure juices as much as possible, I know it's painful & difficult, but think several tiny, tiny sips. And for food..you may find on the painkillers you may be able to eat & the swelling goes down, and take advantage of that when it happens! eat food that is easy on the stomach though. For when your throat is swollen, try tiny, tiny nibbles of crackers. Usually you shoudl be able to get a few crumbs down, esp if you can get your spit down.
That's all I can thikn of! If your fever is coming down, be patient, your sore throat shoudl be getting better soon. Hope this helped!

Closed Thread