HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Colds & Flu (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/colds-flu/)
-   -   I can't take this anymore (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/colds-flu/144112-i-cant-take-anymore.html)

misserika 01-21-2004 05:14 PM

I can't take this anymore

Okay I have had this cold for way too long and it's getting worse and I can't sleep and now my whole left side of my head is congested and it hurts bad. I do nothing but blow my nose non stop and cough. Everytime I cough my nose plugs back up. I've been having to breathe out of my mouth while I sleep so I have dry cracked and chapped lips. My head is throbbing and I have 2 kids who aren't listening to me and I'm so sick I'm gonna die. What am I going to do???? Nothing is helping!

Tourmaline 01-21-2004 06:35 PM

Re: I can't take this anymore

[QUOTE=misserika]Okay I have had this cold for way too long and it's getting worse and I can't sleep and now my whole left side of my head is congested and it hurts bad. I do nothing but blow my nose non stop and cough. Everytime I cough my nose plugs back up. I've been having to breathe out of my mouth while I sleep so I have dry cracked and chapped lips. My head is throbbing and I have 2 kids who aren't listening to me and I'm so sick I'm gonna die. What am I going to do???? Nothing is helping![/QUOTE]

The only thing you can do really is rest as much as possible. I had the most horrendous flu twice in december and was sick through out christmas and flat out miserable. I was feeling so bad I would cry at the drop of the hat and I had every symptom in the book. If you head is hurting that bad, I would see your doc to make sure you're not developing a sinus infection as those can be quite annoying I hear. Other than that just rest yourself up as much as you can and with in no time you'll be well. Get tons of sleep...thats what helped me.

luvmyboys 01-22-2004 05:49 AM

I was like this over Christmas and went to the doctor after having it for three weeks. The headaches were bad and my ears would hurt when coughing. The doctor felt my glands and said they were "huge". I did have a sinus infection and was put on amoxicillin. You may want to go to the doctor and make sure it hasn't turned into a bacterial infection.

chigs489 01-22-2004 06:31 AM

I had the flu turn into a chronic sinus problem AND asthma this year. Needless to say, I've been miserable since early November.

Here are my recommendations...

1. If your nasal discharge is yellow, it indicates a bacterial infection. Go to your GP and demand antibiotics. Mine didn't put me on them until one day I ended up in the emergency room. Don't wait that long. Amoxicillan is not as effective as Levaquin, especially against sinus infections.

2. Start doing nasal irrigations. You can either do this yourself by using an empty spray bottle (see beerzoids posts on this), or do what I did, and get a nasal irrigation machine. I use one called the Grossan Hydro-Pulse. I mix warm water with sea salt, alkalol, nettle leaf, and sometimes 3ml or less of hydrogen peroxide. I fill up the resevoir and blast away. It helps keep the sinuses clear of bacteria and fungus, and it also helps the nose function better.

3. Put TWO humidifiers in your room at night. It sounds silly, but any dryness is going to aggravate your condition even more.

The main thing here, is to make sure this does not turn into a chronic sinus problem (like mine did). Bacteria can lodge in your sinuses for months, causing all kinds of misery.

luvmyboys 01-22-2004 02:28 PM

Yes, I use a humidifier too and saline nasal spray. They really do help. The humidifier also cools the air (if it's a cold water/air one) and makes it easier to breathe and not cough as much.

anxious and confused 02-09-2004 10:57 AM

I feel the same way. Last Monday I got up to go to work and by the time I was showered and ready to go I was wiped out. So, I stayed home. I ended up staying home all week! I am still not feeling great. At least my throat isn't sore any more. But my head throbs from not being able to breathe and my nose is sore from being blown so many times. I don't know how so much mucus can stay in my head!!
It started out clear by the last two days I've noticed a slight yellow tint to it. Does this mean I'm getting an infection or am I reading too much into it since I feel a bit better?
I still get very tired. I've only been at work 1/2 the day and I haven't left my desk often and I feel absolutely drained of all energy.

kuu 02-19-2004 01:17 AM

[QUOTE=anxious and confused]I feel the same way. Last Monday I got up to go to work and by the time I was showered and ready to go I was wiped out. So, I stayed home. I ended up staying home all week! I am still not feeling great. At least my throat isn't sore any more. But my head throbs from not being able to breathe and my nose is sore from being blown so many times. I don't know how so much mucus can stay in my head!!
It started out clear by the last two days I've noticed a slight yellow tint to it. Does this mean I'm getting an infection or am I reading too much into it since I feel a bit better?
I still get very tired. I've only been at work 1/2 the day and I haven't left my desk often and I feel absolutely drained of all energy.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a sinus infection to me. I have been in the same boat for about a month now. Just changed meds again for the 3rd time. I wonder if I am ever going to get better. I have never slept so much in my life. Today I slept for 15 hours!