It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2004, 05:56 PM   #1

monacks HB User
is this a flu?

Since last week, this has spread through my child's daycare and now my immediate and not so immediate family: Starting to feel nauseous, one episode of severe vomiting (like 4-6 times) and then feeling crappy for about 2 days, along with diarhea. Anyone else out there have this?

Old 01-26-2004, 10:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: is this a flu?

Hi,

No, that's not the flu....the flu (influenza) is a respiratory illness. You have obviously ingested a bug through means of hand to mouth, or possibly in food from someone's improperly washed hands after going to the bathroom. That's usually how it's spread.

It's almost impossible to avoid illnesses like that when its spread is quick, especially in a school, daycare, senior home...etc.

Proper hand washing with soap between all the fingers and nails and rinsing for 15 seconds is said to be the best way to help from keeping it from spreading. Kids are notorious for eliminating that part of the bathroom process. Keeping fingers from one's mouth also helps. I worked in a school, and it took the first year to finally figure that out.

One thing that you may want to consider is taking acidophillus with bifidus. I use Webber brand..cheap and it works. It keeps the bowel flora balanced, especially during and after a gastro attack.

Feel better soon.
quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2004, 06:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: is this a flu?

We had this at our house. Day care center on Friday had two kids who went home 'cuz of vomiting. My 7 month old had very loose stools and was fussier, but we thought he might be teething. Saturday night I was hurling, MIL who babysat for us on Friday night -- ditto. DH got it on Sunday. Only person who didn't get it was my FIL, who doesn't change diapers unless it's an emergency. Was probably his saving grace.

Closed Thread