HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Colds & Flu (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/colds-flu/)
-   -   Flu? Cold? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/colds-flu/145601-flu-cold.html)

tropicali 01-27-2004 04:07 PM

Flu? Cold?

This has been a long week... On Friday, I noticed that I had a sore throat and was feeling exhausted... Before that, last wed/thurs, I was very headachey and completely wiped out... so tired... (I'm a college student taking 18 credits, so that could be it). However, Sat morning when I woke up, I went to take a shower and nearly passed out... I fell over into the wall many times... Everything was black and I felt like I was spinning and I was sweating and couldn't breathe... It was terrifying. So, I went home to recooperate and I'm back and still very very tired... Still have a sore throat... my head feels weird... my ears and everything... Is this just a flu? How long is normal to have a sore throat? Also, two nights ago, I was in bed for over 2 hours before I could fall asleep because my heart was beating so quickly/hard... it was pounding rapidly... I couldn't get it to slow down... I was wondering if maybe I've had an allergic reaction of some sort to the medicine I've been taking? I'm so confused... Any info would be great. :)

dagmarharris 01-27-2004 07:46 PM

Re: Flu? Cold?

[QUOTE=tropicaliHowever, Sat morning when I woke up, I went to take a shower and nearly passed out... I fell over into the wall many times... Everything was black and I felt like I was spinning and I was sweating and couldn't breathe... It was terrifying....

I was in bed for over 2 hours before I could fall asleep because my heart was beating so quickly/hard... it was pounding rapidly... I couldn't get it to slow down... I was wondering if maybe I've had an allergic reaction of some sort to the medicine I've been taking? I'm so confused... Any info would be great. :)[/QUOTE]

First of all, have you been to a dr.? I think the passing out is not good, and something I would want to talk to a dr. about. Then the racing heart...
What med are you taking? I hope to hear more. Was it for the flu? Like sudafed? That could make your heart race....
Do you have any anxiety related illnesses. I do so I know about this.
concerned for you,
dagmar

tropicali 01-28-2004 10:35 AM

Re: Flu? Cold?

Hi Dagmar,

Thanks for responding. I was taking Comtrex Max Strength. I took a night time one the previous night (before the shower thing) and it contains acetaminophen, chlorpheniramine, pseudoephedrine, and antihistamine. The day-time ones contain the same ingredients, except for the antihistamine. I don't know if those can be blamed for my racing heart? The night that my heart felt the strangest was when I took a day-time dose of the medicine and went to bed 6 hours later... I thought 6 hours would be enough time for it to get out of my system? I don't know. It's frustrating. I stopped taking the Comtrex, tho, b/c my cheeks tingled a lot...?

Being sick is annoying... I guess it could just be the flu? I'm still very tired w/ a sore throat, headache, plugged ears... I just feel groggy, and "weird"...

No, I haven't been to the dr, yet. I'm kind of avoiding a trip to the dr since I was there 3 times already 2 months ago when I had pneumonia... :-\ Ugh. College makes me sick... lol

Thanks for responding!