It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2004, 01:47 PM   #1

ILCovergirl HB User
Question Coughing yellow mucus...post nasal drip?

I caught a bad cold from my kids about a week ago and for the past few days I have been coughing up yellow mucus and I also have post nasal drip. The mucus was green at first but it is now thinner and yellow. I saw my doctor's assistant when this started and she said it was "probably viral" and gave me biaxin. Why an antibiotic if it is probably viral??? I refused the antibiotic. I'm not taking it unless I know it is bacterial.
My question is, could this mucus I'm coughing up be from post nasal drip draining to my lungs? (which I have heard it can do)
I do not have a fever, chills, or pain. Just a cough brining up yellow mucus occasionally. Though it leaves a nasty taste in my mouth, yuck!
I plan on calling my doctor on monday (not his assistant!!) but was hoping for some input in the meantime.
Thanks,
Michele

Old 01-31-2004, 05:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Coughing yellow mucus...post nasal drip?

Hi,

He gave you the Biaxin because you have a secondary infection in your lungs. Cold viruses attack the respiritory system, and can cause secondary infectons. Since you're coughing up yellow awful tasting stuff, that's an infection in the lungs. It will help you clear it up.....

Why are you having a problem with the antibiotic if it will help you clear it up? Why are you planning to call your doctor on Monday?

If you're still refusing the meds, then you can drink plenty of fluids, steam yourself, cough up and spit out the mucous. Expectorant will help you thin out the mucous. Don't eat any foods that cause thickening of mucous like sugar, milk, carbohydrates. Make some chicken soup full of vegies take plenty of vitamin C and hope it goes away in a week or two.

Hope you feel better soon,
quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2004, 06:33 PM   #3

ILCovergirl HB User

Hi quincy, thanks for the reply. I refused the antibiotics because she told me it was probably viral. I'd rather not get sick with antibiotic resistant bacteria in the future for taking antibiotics for viral infections. Antibiotics send your body out of whack if you do not have a bacterial illness. She said viral, which is why I was confused about being offered an antibiotic.
Doesn't mucus turn greenish yellow as a cold is getting better? Maybe I have it wrong but I think I remember my children's doctor saying green mucus at the end of a cold is not cause for alarm because it turns thick and cloudy before it gets better. *shrug* I dunno, that's why I came here to hopefully connect with someone who had some answers.

Michele

Old 02-01-2004, 12:13 AM   #4

dagmarharris HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILCovergirl
Hi quincy, thanks for the reply. I refused the antibiotics because she told me it was probably viral....)
Michele
Hi Michele,
I think I would talk to my dr. like you said. I had a very bad virus for two months. I was begging for a antibiotic. But my dr. said my lungs were clear and my ears... so no antibiotic. I went twice asking for it. I had a very bad cough. I had mucous too, but not colored. Now I have yellow post nasal drip, but it usually is only yellow sometimes. I used a nasal saline spray recently and pullled up some yellow and green, like you.
I spit up the phlem mostly in morning and after eating hot foods...
Well, tell us how you do.
good luck, and listen to the dr. Maybe he will know better than the assistant.
~dagmar

Last edited by dagmarharris; 02-01-2004 at 12:14 AM.

Old 02-01-2004, 01:01 PM   #5
Veteran

Pootsi HB User

My husband gets the greenish and yellowish mucus when he gets the flu. When he gets sick it would only last about 3-4 days.
He'd drink LOTS of water, take expectorant , eat lite meals and broths, spit and blow out as much as he can.
When I get the flu, I always get the yellow mucus at the worst part of it, sometimes with blood. I'm not sure what it is exactly.
I would think with a fever, I would definately think there is somekind of infection, or overload of bacteria, but I'm not a doctor.
Hope you get better soon.

Pootsi- [FONT=Arial][COLOR=YellowGreen]

Closed Thread