It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2004, 10:58 PM   #1
Veteran

Pootsi HB User
Why do some get the flu and some don't?

It seems like I get the flu atleast once a year, sometime twice.
Why do some people get sick a lot and some don't?
I mean some people have never even had a flu, maybe just a little cold once every 3 or 4 years.
Would you say that was genes or just really taking care of themselves, but how would that prevent a viral infection from getting in their body?
And, why do some people recover within 2 or so days while others stay sick for a week or longer with the flu?
Do you think having tonsils compared to not makes a difference in sickness?

Pootsi-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2004, 08:47 PM   #2

JenBrooke123 HB User
Re: Why do some get the flu and some don't?

Why is the sky blue? who really knows. I think it is because some people have stronger immune systems then others. Or maybe it is were you work, someone working in daycare might get sicker then someone working in a controlled office space. Or someone with children may get sick easier then someone without. I knever use to get sick that often, now I get three or four coulds per year. Do you smoke? that can make you get more colds and flu. Do you wash your hands a lot? I don't know if genetics play a part in it, my family is pretty normal, matter of fact my sister hardly ever gets sick, but I do! Take viatamins and wash your hands, try to stay away from people who are sick and see if that helps any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootsi
It seems like I get the flu atleast once a year, sometime twice.
Why do some people get sick a lot and some don't?
I mean some people have never even had a flu, maybe just a little cold once every 3 or 4 years.
Would you say that was genes or just really taking care of themselves, but how would that prevent a viral infection from getting in their body?
And, why do some people recover within 2 or so days while others stay sick for a week or longer with the flu?
Do you think having tonsils compared to not makes a difference in sickness?

Pootsi-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2004, 10:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hoop HB UserHoop HB User

I would say it has to do with the immune system and genes. With the exception of a 3 day fever I had last summer as a result of a bladder infection, I haven't had the flu in over 25 years. I also average a cold about once every 3 or 4 years as well.

I don't think tonsils have anything to do with it, but in any case I still have mine.

Another thing that may contribute to my good health is that I rarely use any type of medications. I would rather just tolerate the pain and discomfort and let my own immune system take care of any problems. Take the common cold for example. There really is no cure for it. Any medication you take is mostly to help you deal with the discomfort until your own body recovers. I choose to just tolerate it.

I wish I could stand here and tell you I eat healthy but that is far from the truth. When I think about health and the work environment surroundings, I reflect to back in the year 1974. The year before the big concern and new regulations about handling asbestos came about. That year, I was going around tearing up absestos insulation with asbestos dust flying all over the place and me not even wearing so much as a simple paper respirator. A year later and continuing to this day, workers have been required to wear those monkey suits just to even get close to asbestos. Whatever the case, I'm still here as healthy as ever.

And that's just the way it is and hope it continues for me for many more years to come.

Hoop

Old 02-21-2004, 12:23 AM   #4
Veteran

Pootsi HB User

Wow, can I have some of your genes! I get sick easily I'm one of those sickly ones.
I use to not get so sick easily before
I freak when someone is sick cuz I just know no matter how many times I wash my hands and stay away, I still get it. It's almost like I'm a vacuum to viruses.
I use to work around people a lot and I'd get sick easily, then when I was off for a year and a half, staying home doing my own thing (no kids), I'd get it from my husband.
I do admit that I don't eat good at all and I don't exercise at all, no vitamins either.
Thanks

Old 02-24-2004, 05:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Abbey32 HB User

Oh boy, if there is something to be caught, I will catch it everytime. I am sick a lot. I know it has a lot to do with these things....immune system, vitamins, eating right and exercise. I have started exercising again and trying to eat better. The immune system...not sure how that works but I feel like mine sucks. LOL. I have been sick about 7 times this past winter alone.

Old 02-25-2004, 09:36 AM   #6

xyloSG HB User

Here is a response to why the sky is blue [url]http://www.why-is-the-sky-blue.org/[/url]

As far as the flu/cold question, exercising and sex, eating, hotshowers, opiates, etc which all produce endorphins (with exclusion of opiates which develop an effect resembling endorphins effect in the body) strengthens the immune system. Apparently good nutrition keeps everything in working order also.

Strains of virii you have experienced in the past have to do with how often you get sick when your older, an immunity builds which is why adults arent often as sick as children, but depending on where you live there could be different virii blowing around. Some people only build a temporary resistance, due to a variety of factors, genes being one of them.

Some products that can reduce your sickness time are garlic, echinacea (hot tea), onions, and brocolli. These all clean virii, bacterium, and parasites from the system. (just bad ones).

Last edited by xyloSG; 02-25-2004 at 09:46 AM.

Old 02-25-2004, 08:44 PM   #7
Veteran

Pootsi HB User

xyloSG,
Thanks for the info
That's interesting.
I will have to eat more veggies and get some exercise. And more sex

Pootsi- That "why is the sky blue?" sight is pretty interesting to
even though it wasn't me who said it.

Closed Thread