It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2004, 06:15 PM   #1
(female)

BigMomma24 HB User
Stomach "VIRUS" destroying my life

I've had the stomach virus on and off for over a week now, and it doesn't seem to go away. One day, I'll feel fine, and the next, I won't be able to get my head out of the toilet. It's affecting my whole life! I've taken sick leave at work, and I can't seem to enjoy life anymore without feeling sick to my stomach. My fiance has it now, although he just has diarrhea. We are both miserable, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. This is going on two weeks now..... anyone have the same thing? When did you finally recooperate?

Old 02-07-2004, 08:33 PM   #2

Tourmaline HB User
Re: Stomach "VIRUS" destroying my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMomma24
I've had the stomach virus on and off for over a week now, and it doesn't seem to go away. One day, I'll feel fine, and the next, I won't be able to get my head out of the toilet. It's affecting my whole life! I've taken sick leave at work, and I can't seem to enjoy life anymore without feeling sick to my stomach. My fiance has it now, although he just has diarrhea. We are both miserable, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. This is going on two weeks now..... anyone have the same thing? When did you finally recooperate?

I've been struggling with bouts of nausea for the past week and a half (though mine is most likely due to pregnancy...but I'm not 100% sure I am pg) anywyas, I find anything ginger flavored or that has ginger in it to be very soothing to the stomach. Gingerale, ginger bisuits, candied ginger...see if that soothes the tummy at least long enough to get you to the doctors...perhaps they can get you a prescription for compozine or something similar to help with the nausea. It sucks feeling that way I know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2004, 09:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi tourmaline.....please check out contraindications for ginger. I've read that it can cause uterine contracting and shouldn't be used by women who are pregnant. I have read that in the past (because I use ginger for nausea and colds).

Try adding acidophillus with bifidus to balance the gut flora. Also, metamucil smooth (not the sugar-free one) in a half glass of water up to 3 times a day will help bulk up the stool and you'll go less.

feel better soon,
quincy

Old 02-09-2004, 10:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

I don't think that you have a stomach virus. The "stomach flu" lasts for 24 hours-48 hours usually. Most people get over it in 24 hours but in a bad case in can last 2 or 3 days. Also your symptoms should not be on and off. My husband is studying microbiology and read your post. He thinks you may have a parasite because your symptoms are typical. You need to see a doctor.

Old 02-10-2004, 06:09 AM   #5
(female)

BigMomma24 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by besafe20
I don't think that you have a stomach virus. The "stomach flu" lasts for 24 hours-48 hours usually. Most people get over it in 24 hours but in a bad case in can last 2 or 3 days. Also your symptoms should not be on and off. My husband is studying microbiology and read your post. He thinks you may have a parasite because your symptoms are typical. You need to see a doctor.

Well, I've seen a doctor, and she says it's nothing serious. She put me on medication for acid reflux a few months ago, insisting that's what I have. Plus, I've been having other flu-like symptoms (achey joints, congestion, headaches, etc.) I'm recovering now, with only a cold and chest congestion, but my b/f, on the other hand, is going on 5 days of diarrhea. I was more worried about him, because his symptoms are more serious. He can't keep anything in his system for more than an hour, because of the diarrhea. I believe he may have a parasite, but he has no insurance.

Old 02-14-2004, 03:56 PM   #6

Tourmaline HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy
Hi tourmaline.....please check out contraindications for ginger. I've read that it can cause uterine contracting and shouldn't be used by women who are pregnant. I have read that in the past (because I use ginger for nausea and colds).

Try adding acidophillus with bifidus to balance the gut flora. Also, metamucil smooth (not the sugar-free one) in a half glass of water up to 3 times a day will help bulk up the stool and you'll go less.

feel better soon,
quincy
Oh really wow, I didnt even know that...I hadnt been using that much of it as of late just for two weeks before I posted...but I guess maybe it didnt effect me cause I had small doeses of it. Wow, though I'll keep that in mind :P thanks

Old 02-19-2004, 01:49 PM   #7

blondeyclaire HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMomma24
sure you dont have food poisoning? that can last weeks!!
Or gastroenteritis, thats like a bug and it can last weeks too! my friend had it and she got it twice, it lasted a few weeks. It will go so its ok.

There is a bug called the Hpylori bug and that gives you stomach problems.
Go to the docs and get it checked out, if you cant then get some 'mastic gum' it is a natural product that gets rid of it! and trust me it really works if that bug is your problem!!
Also like someone else mentioned take probiotics like acidophilus (especially your husband as he has diarehha).

I have a chronic stomach problem, i dont throw up but i get stomach aches and nausea on and off! i have to deal with it for the rest of my life! it isnt so bad now like it was but i understand when you say it has a big impact on your life.

Closed Thread