It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2004, 10:20 AM   #1
(female)

Jenmak HB User
Unhappy low fever, joint/muscle pain, headache, fatigue

2 days ago i woke up with a sore throat and later on that day i started experiencing joint/muscle pain, headache, fatigue as well. this morning, i was standing in a bus on my way to work and then i felt really dizzy and almost barfed. i've been feeling short stabs of pain in my upper left side of the abdomen. I took a blood test for Hepatitis C 2 months ago and it was negative. I've been like this for days but i haven't had a chance to see the doctor yet. Could it be possible that i have Hepatitis C but it just didn't show up on the test?. Or is this possibly the flu with a low fever (is that even possible??)?

thanx for any replies!
Jen

Old 02-11-2004, 11:20 AM   #2

luvmyboys HB User
Re: low fever, joint/muscle pain, headache, fatigue

My husband just had all of this and it turned out he had strep. But I have a friend who has these symptoms too and her whole family and now her mom are all coming down with it. Hers seems to be a virus.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2004, 11:40 AM   #3
(female)

Jenmak HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyboys
My husband just had all of this and it turned out he had strep. But I have a friend who has these symptoms too and her whole family and now her mom are all coming down with it. Hers seems to be a virus.
a virus??.. like a hepatitis c virus?

Old 02-11-2004, 03:22 PM   #4

luvmyboys HB User

No, I was thinking maybe a flu type virus. I have talked to my friend since my last post and she is still woozy and had to take her kids to the doctor. One has croup and the other has a double ear infection. I myself just got over a sinus and ear infection and had a sore throat, headache, cough, was very tired and achy. I had two rounds of antibiotics and it seems to be gone for now. Like I said, now the rest of my family has strep. They didn't test me for that, but I suppose I could have had that. My husband had a very sore throat (bloody) and a backache and his legs ached and a fever. My husband also had an upset stomach. Any infection can produce a fever. I would probably go to the doctor and at least ask for a blood test to see if your white count is up indicating an infection. My husband's was and so were my children's. Good luck. Keep me posted.

Old 02-12-2004, 12:11 PM   #5
(female)

Jenmak HB User

Good to hear that you are feeling better. My low fever seems to have gone today. But my sore throat has gotten worse. And every morning i have bloody snot stuff in my nose that takes a long time to blow out. I dunno what that is cuz i dun really have mucus on my throat. Its really dry. I've also had an upset stomach for the past two days. And also two ear infections ( i hardly notice them cuz i always get them). I tried to see my doctor but she's on vaction right now and won't be back for the next 4 days or so. Hope your family recovers from strep soon. I kept getting strep 7 years ago and it would come back every two weeks. It sux! Keep me updated.

Old 02-12-2004, 02:04 PM   #6

luvmyboys HB User

Isn't there a doctor on call or someone covering for your doctor that you could see at least to have your throat looked at and a blood test done? I would hate to be in misery for four days until your doctor is back. The white blood count would tell if you have a flu virus or a bacterial infection. My husband's strep started with a sore throat and upset stomach. That infection drains into your stomach. My son had strep one time where his throat didn't even hurt. He just kept throwing up. I also get upset stomachs with most infections including sinus and ear. Just an idea.?.

Old 02-14-2004, 07:40 AM   #7
(female)

Jenmak HB User

*Sigh*... unfortunately there isn't...i'll have to wait till next weekend to see if my sore throat has cleared to see my doctor, cause i'm working and my boss doesn't allow me to take time off from work. I didn't kno they did blood tests to test for infection... when I had strep many yeras ago.. my doctor tested for it by putting some swab stick down my throat. My upset stomach is better but now i got runny nose and a cough with mucus and ear infections in both.. sux!!... hows your family doing??

Old 02-14-2004, 08:51 AM   #8

luvmyboys HB User

To test specifically for strep they do the throat swab, but they can also do a cbc with a differential count. That gives them info on all the blood cells including white ones which if they are elevated above the normal, that usually signifies a bacterial infection. It doesn't say where, but you would still need antibiotics. I would say as long as you're feeling better you can probably wait until the weekend. Good luck to you.

My family is doing much better except that I started having these awful headaches with extreme tiredness and waves of nausea. I don't know if it's the weather or maybe my husband had a flu with his throat. But I don't have any other symptoms like achiness or fever. Just a stuffy nose and a headache in my forehead and back of my neck and shoulder blade. I seem to get these every month after my period. Weird because I think you're supposed to feel bad before your period. I'm just the opposite. Oh well. If it doesn't clear up, I'll go back to the doctor and maybe request further testing on my sinuses. They always seem plugged up! I'm definitely ready for winter to be over!

Old 02-15-2004, 07:08 AM   #9
(female)

Jenmak HB User

If you get them normally after your period, then wouldn't they be normal symtoms then? But anyhow, I think its better for you to see the doctor and get treatment for it. I always get diarrhea and horrible cramps at the beginning of my period..lol... that sucks too...

well my sore throat is pretty much cleared up.. i can swallow without hurting now.. but my voice is still a bit coarse. do you know if strep throat can be cured without meds?.. just have a runny nose to get over and i think i'll be fine.. yay!! keep me posted!

Old 02-15-2004, 02:06 PM   #10

luvmyboys HB User

I don't know if strep clears up without meds or not. I know there are certain kinds of strep that if left untreated can cause rheumatic fever which can damage your kidneys and heart. You could probably do an internet search and find out more about that. I have to take my youngest son back to the doctor tomorrow for another culture of his throat. He reacted to his antibiotic and itched all over. This is the 4th one he is allergic to now. So, last Sunday when I took him in for the reaction, they swabbed his throat that day but because he had already had 2 doses of medicine it was negative. They told me to wait a week as long as he isn't symptomatic right now and have another one done. So, I'll find out tomorrow if he still has strep. If not, then I'll have to go further with more blood tests as to why his white count was above normal last weekend. They also told me that if he keeps reacting to antibiotics and ends up really needing to have one, he will have to be in the hospital with a continuous benedryl IV drip so he can have the medicine he needs without an allergic reaction. Won't that be fun!

As for my headaches and stomach problems, they come every month on day 5 or 6 and last until ovulation Day 17 for me. Every month without fail. It's amazing to me how I can feel fine one day and then wake up the next with all these problems. I've been told I'm in perimenopause. My mom was done with periods by the time she was 48. I'm 34 and my grandma had to have a hysterectomy at age 45. So my family history is early menopause which is good I guess, but it sure isn't fun getting there!

Keep me posted if you go to the doctor. I'd be curious to know if strep can hang around and resurface without treatment. Glad you're feeling better.

Old 02-18-2004, 05:20 AM   #11
(female)

Jenmak HB User

I haven't been to the doctor but i think i'm better now. Cough is pretty much gone and cold is too. i found some pink bumps on the very back(near the tonsils area) of my tongue however. they are 2-3mm in diameter and do not hurt or itch. there are like 5-6 of them (sort of in a row going from left to right) and they look so nasty. Just wondering if you know if they are normal or not. Do you or your children have them?..I'm wondering if they are because of the cold I just got over.

Anyways, as for you son's allergy, I had the same reaction to an antibiotic too. And my doctor told me I was allergic to the penicillin in it. I'm not sure if your son is allergic to it too, but when i got my reaction I had hives on my face. Not pretty.

Isn't there a medicine that you can take to take away those menopause symptoms? I think there are some over the counter medicine that helps with period symptoms, not sure if they can work for menopause.

Keep me posted on your son's condition. Hope he's better soon.

Closed Thread