It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2004, 12:21 PM   #1

smilestoday HB User
zinc is great for fighting colds.

I had a sore throat and tried a lozenge with zinc in it. My body fought it and I never ended up with a full on cold. It seems to work almost everytime.

Old 03-08-2004, 07:40 AM   #2

MBULLICK57 HB User
Re: zinc is great for fighting colds.

Let me tell you how good zinc is. I have been taking every day for 3 years, and I have never had a cold or sore throat in 3 years. Prevention is better. An old guy told me about it and he never gets colds. My wife has been on it for over 3 years and she does not get colds eithier.

Mike

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2004, 08:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

I understand that zinc intake shouldn't be more than 25mg daily. So one should recognise zinc in food intake plus what is in a supplement.

I take zinc losenges (ginger flavoured) at the first signs of a sore throat. I'm sucking on them tonight. I use Sisu brand, 5 mg each.

I do get a bit stomach cramping and gassy if I take too many.

what is the dosage you are taking, you never posted it.
I think if a supplement is suggested, the dosage should be included as well as any cautions.

I agree, everything should be taken with full information about the product and possible side effects.

quincy

Old 03-10-2004, 08:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Oh, I know you said you HAVE taken....I'm also meaning anyone who touts a product or supplement.

MBULLICK57....what is the dosage you are taking?

q

Old 03-15-2004, 11:36 AM   #5

MBULLICK57 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy
Oh, I know you said you HAVE taken....I'm also meaning anyone who touts a product or supplement.

MBULLICK57....what is the dosage you are taking?

q
I am taking 50ML per day. one 50 ML tablet

Old 03-15-2004, 04:28 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Katyana HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy
I understand that zinc intake shouldn't be more than 25mg daily. So one should recognise zinc in food intake plus what is in a supplement.

I take zinc losenges (ginger flavoured) at the first signs of a sore throat. I'm sucking on them tonight. I use Sisu brand, 5 mg each.

I do get a bit stomach cramping and gassy if I take too many.

what is the dosage you are taking, you never posted it.
I think if a supplement is suggested, the dosage should be included as well as any cautions.

I agree, everything should be taken with full information about the product and possible side effects.

quincy
Zinc is an essential mineral that is found in almost every cell. It stimulates the activity of approximately 100 enzymes, which are substances that promote biochemical reactions in your body. Zinc supports a healthy immune system, is needed for wound healing, helps maintain your sense of taste and smell, and is needed for DNA synthesis. Zinc also supports normal growth and development during pregnancy, childhood, and adolescence.

Zinc is found in a wide variety of foods. Oysters contain more zinc per serving than any other food, but red meat and poultry provide the majority of zinc in the American diet. Other good food sources include beans, nuts, certain seafood, whole grains, fortified breakfast cereals, and dairy products. Zinc absorption is greater from a diet high in animal protein than a diet rich in plant proteins. Phytates, which are found in whole grain breads, cereals, legumes and other products, can decrease zinc absorption.

There is no single laboratory test that adequately measures zinc nutritional status. Medical doctors who suspect a zinc deficiency will consider risk factors such as inadequate caloric intake, alcoholism, digestive diseases, and symptoms such as impaired growth in infants and children when determining a need for zinc supplementation. Vegetarians may need as much as 50% more zinc than non-vegetarians because of the lower absorption of zinc from plant foods, so it is very important for vegetarians to include good sources of zinc in their diet.

You can find out more about zinc by doing a google search for zinc. The upper limits is reportedly 40mg for those 19+. And even more in some people based on their dietary habits (IE: vegetarians, alcoholics).

I personally have taken 1 - 50mg tablet per day for the past few years, and all of my doctors and my pharamacist are aware of this.

While there is no substantial proof from studies about zinc and the common cold, I can attest to the fact that since I started taking zinc tablets, I haven't been plagued with a cold or any respiratory illness during that time, which is unusual for me as I have asthma and usually end up with at least one respiratory illness a year.

Old 04-24-2004, 11:05 AM   #7

Aston HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans_AM
Please beaware that zinc, minerals and echinecea does not work for everyone. I've taken zinc 50mg a day, and I still get a ton of colds and sore throats... Ever since I had mono, my immune system has been SHOT. I don't know what the hell to do to get my immune system back up to strength.

Herbs, and other products just don't seem to work. I've taken lots of garlic, COLD - FX ( GINSENG ), echinecea, calcium + magnesium, and vit d complex, and b vitamin complex as well as vitamin C. Its all sales gimmick.
Are you serious??? Vitamin C, Zinc & Garlic are gimmicks????? You must be joking! How much vitamin c did you take & how pure was it? Sales gimmicks - you mean like all those cough & throat sweets....

Old 04-24-2004, 06:15 PM   #8
Inactive

ladivapr HB User

I vouch on the zinc too. It works for me too and works for my mother everytime. As the first sight of a cold she starts taking the zinc and it really cuts it out.

Closed Thread