It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2004, 05:31 PM   #1
Inactive

troubledchild HB User
Is it possible to get sore swollen glands with a common cold

Hi all,

I hope someone can give me some insight.

I have a cold right now and I am having all of the normal symptoms of a cold but my right gland seems to be very sore but not really swollen though. Everytime I turn my neck to the left my right side hurts but down just a little further than the gland, it is like almost down to where the neck hits my chest. Is it possible that this is a swollen gland, I think it is weird because this has never happened to me with a cold before.

Anyway I thank you for reading my post and if anyone can give me an answer.

Thank you,

Grace

Old 03-12-2004, 07:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Is it possible to get sore swollen glands with a common cold

Hi,

Yes, there are many cold viruses that seem to affect various parts of the head/neck/chest area. The lymph glands go into high gear to fight the virus that has attacked the body. They or just one can be swollen. Tonsils can also swell a bit. Muscles and nerves are also involved, and it's not uncommon for one to feel the pains where you are feeling them now.

If you have "chipmunk" swellings under your ear area, like you have no jaw definition.... it could be mumps.

But if you have the classic stuffy nose, sore throat, sore eyes, headache, aching muscles, ear ache or itching, cough, slight fever..it's a cold virus.

I've been taking Sudafed and tylenol and drinking more fluids on top of my regular eating.

If it goes beyond the normal course of a cold, please get checked out. The last one I had I required a 14 day course of Clavulin to get rid of the sinus/chest/larynx infection as well as the cough (the worst part).

I used a microwave bag on the sore neck area, and it helped sooth the ache quite nicely.

Get well soon,
quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2004, 10:08 AM   #3

jsmom HB User

What seems to be the usual duration for a cold? I am going on a week now, and they said it is a cold, (I have all the above post symptoms too) but does a cold make your sinuses plugged up and your chest full of junk? Like I said it has been a week of this, with no signs of improvement, and I am just wondering if this is still a cold, or if it has digressed into something else? I feel like I have bronchitis, but does a cold act like that too?

Also, to let the first post know, I have very sore glands right now too, and only one of them on my left side is swelled up.

Old 03-13-2004, 05:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi,

I would say that if one doesn't show ANY improvement or is getting worse as of 5 days, it's probably become an infection. If your chest is full of junk, it's a chest cold and probably bronchitis. If you're coughing up lots of stuff and don't seem to be getting any better after a week, you probably have an infection in your lungs and might need meds to fight it off.

I suppose it depends on the doctor and the patient. Some people are able to fight things off quickly. I think the normal period of time for a cold is 7 - 10 days. It seems to take a while for it to set in, and once it's there it progresses to worse and then gets better. The flu lasts longer. It also depends on what kind of virus we have.

I'm fighting one off now, but it's only in my sinuses and very upper airway. If a cold is in my chest and I'm coughing up stuff for longer than the week with no improvement, I usually go to the doctor. I also get sinus infections, and have my fingers crossed this won't turn into one. My teeth ache and my hearing is somewhat hindered. I hate having a cold!

I make sure I cough up as much as possible and spit it into a kleenex. I find that steaming myself helps a great deal to loosen up the stuff so that it can be coughed up. There is expectorant (not with DM) that will also help to loosen up congestion so that it can be coughed up. I'm also trying to make sure I drink enough fluids.

If you don't improve any and have chest pains or are wheezing when coughing, it would still be best to see the doc.

Just out of curiosity....what over the counter meds are you taking? Steer clear of anything with DM or antihistamines. It will only hinder your recovery.

I hope we all recover soon!!!!
quincy

Old 03-14-2004, 08:15 AM   #5

jsmom HB User

I went in yesterday and got an antibiotic. The Dr. thinks it is a sinus infection and bronchitis. I was just on two antibiotics back in November and December for the same thing. I wonder if this virus will be immune to the same antibiotic? So far I feel a tiny bit better this morning after yesterdays antibiotic. I've been taking straight expectorant for a week now, it helps a tiny bit, but any time I get a cold, it always goes into bronchitis. I am on the verge of asthma, and trying desperately to figure out what is causing my problems so that I can get a handle on it. I get lots of sinus congestion, which the Dr. thinks then drains down my throat which irritates my lungs and makes it inflammed and me wheeze. Who knows, this stinks.

My Dr. suggest boiling some water and then putting vinegar in it and sniffing the steam. She says vinegar kills viruses and it helps open up the airways. I tried it, but holy cow - it burns!

I am trying to figure out a way to build my immune system up after this so I don't keep getting sick.

Hope you feel better. Michelle

Old 03-14-2004, 11:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Michelle,

You sound exactly like I did before I ended up with full-blown asthma. It runs in my family, but it didn't hit until I was 28. Constant infections just was the right trigger.

I also have been through an October sinus cold, as well as December and now March. I know exactly where I picked this one up. Spending an evening at a friend's house where her 3 out of 4 kids had snotty noses and a cough. Oh, I never learn!! They were in my face the entire time.

I take regular vitamins, extra C and beta carotene. I suck zinc losenges at the first signs of a cold, increase my corticosteroid med for asthma and drink fluids....I do the best I can. It depends on where and what virus has hit.

Chronic sinus infection has to be dealt with.

There is a posting on the general health questions where someone has dealt with "curing" his chronic sinus infections with peroxide, baking soda and water. Seems painful, and it's put into the nose by having the head upside down. I'll stick to nasal lavages, sudafed and antibiotics if I need them.

Steaming is a great help. I still have the yellow stuff, but it's moving and i'm doing a lot of blowing. My right sinus is bleeding, and swallowing that stuff makes me sick. So, if it continues and shows no improvement, I'll head to the doctor as well. But, today, I'm already feeling better. It must have been the Cadbury's mini eggs that did the trick!!

My last meds (clavulin) I was on for 14 days. Definitely did the trick.
I hate them too, and with Spring coming I'm not excited at the discomfort I normally feel anyway.

May we have a cold/sinus infection-free season after we get better!!

quincy

Closed Thread