It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2004, 07:03 PM   #1

swallowgoldfish HB User
Excessive Phlegm

I got a cold on Halloween 2003 during which I was sick for about a week. For about a month and a half afterwards, I was sick on and off and missed a lot of school. Now that it's March, I don't feel sick anymore, but I still have phlegmy coughs that have not gone away since last November. Does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of it?

Also, I went to the doctor in November and they put me on antibiotics, but that didn't help the phlegm or cough.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2004, 10:48 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Katyana HB User
Re: Excessive Phlegm

Quote:
Originally Posted by swallowgoldfish
I got a cold on Halloween 2003 during which I was sick for about a week. For about a month and a half afterwards, I was sick on and off and missed a lot of school. Now that it's March, I don't feel sick anymore, but I still have phlegmy coughs that have not gone away since last November. Does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of it?

Also, I went to the doctor in November and they put me on antibiotics, but that didn't help the phlegm or cough.
Phlegm = Mucous. And dairy products increase the amount of mucous. Try cutting down on dairy products (take a calcium supplement in the meantime), to see if that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2004, 02:07 PM   #3

swallowgoldfish HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katyana
Phlegm = Mucous. And dairy products increase the amount of mucous. Try cutting down on dairy products (take a calcium supplement in the meantime), to see if that helps.
Thanks, but I don't think it's from dairy. I've always eaten a usual amount of dairy and I haven't started eating more...if anything I've eaten less recently. I just cannot stop coughing and having gross phlegm in the morning and at night. I think I am going to get checked.

Old 03-22-2004, 12:01 AM   #4

byrdwoman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by swallowgoldfish
Thanks, but I don't think it's from dairy. I've always eaten a usual amount of dairy and I haven't started eating more...if anything I've eaten less recently. I just cannot stop coughing and having gross phlegm in the morning and at night. I think I am going to get checked.

I can totally relate to your sickness. I am seeing a pulmonary doc this week to help me with getting all the mucus out of my lungs. You sound like what i have been going through off and on since Nov. Weird i thought i was the only on that has been going through this stubborn sickness since Nov. I'll let you know what the doc says about the mucus problem. If you find anything out please post. I have that same nasty tasting phlegm you have described. good luck and keep posting.
jane

Old 03-22-2004, 01:14 PM   #5

Welch HB User

Sinus drainage is most likely the cause. Irrigate sinuses with salt/soda solution and it will reduce the drainage. Sleep with head of bed elevated or on extra pillows. Also, "Mucinex" not prescription now, but must ask pharmacist for it, is stronger Robitussin in pill form. This will help thin muscous in lungs too.

Old 04-20-2004, 02:45 PM   #6

cindyluwho4 HB User

Hi
I Also Starated With A Cold In November
2003 It Had Gone Away Now Is April
And I Have It Again Except With A Lot OF Pleghm
Took Anibiotics And Now Waiting To See If It Goes
Away For Good.

Last edited by cindyluwho4; 04-20-2004 at 03:00 PM.

Old 04-24-2004, 10:41 AM   #7

dagmarharris HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyluwho4
Hi
I Also Starated With A Cold In November
2003 It Had Gone Away Now Is April
And I Have It Again Except With A Lot OF Pleghm
Took Anibiotics And Now Waiting To See If It Goes
Away For Good.
I had the worse one in Nov, too, I am on my reentry to a new one...with phlem. Stayed home from work yesterday. I am trying to be careful not to get the bad hacking cough, again!
~dagmar

Old 04-24-2004, 11:55 AM   #8

Aston HB User

But after you have been ill, food intolerances can set in worse, you probably wouldnt have noticed them before. Phlegm is mostly always dairy, soya or gluten, unless of course you have a pneumonia that hasnt been found?

Closed Thread