I just finished my amoxicillian that was prescribed to me for a soar throat and ear ache. I went to a clinic at my local community college and they tested for strep throat, but unfortunately the test would not be ready for five days because the school was closed on Fri, Sat, Sun and I went on a Weds, so they gave me a prescription for the antibiotics just in case in a couple days I still had the soar throat and ear ache. I have been off the antbiotics for almost a week now, and the ear ache and soar throat are coming back...should I be concerned that this might be tonsilitis (sp?)? Should I seek medical attention right away or would it be okay to wait until Monday moring to see the free doctor at school?
Yes, go back to the same place and see what the test results were. Alternate treatment can be given or a continuation of meds. Clavulin (which is amoxicillin with a boost) worked really good for my upper respiritory problems.
Take Tylenol for the pain, drink plenty of fluids and Sudafed to help open the eustachian tubes. It could help ease the pain. Go on Monday..it's not life or death and you can wait to see the free doctor. Best to go to the same place where you've already been treated.
Tell me.....do you also have a coldsore? Have you checked your throat to see how it looks? Are your tonsils swollen?
Let us know how it all fares.
It's all a matter of perspective!
thank you for your advice, quincy. I'm sorry, I forgot in my haste to mention that the test results came back negative for strep throat on Monday, but they told me to keep taking the antibiotics anyway and I did feel much much better after about two days of taking the antibiotics.
I don't have a coldsore, but I do get them on my lips and in my mouth on occasion. My tonsils feel swollen, but I haven't checked to see what my throat looks like now that it has returned. Last time I had someone check it for me and they just said it looked a little red. I also feel a little dizzy and it's a little straining to talk.